• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Heads up for those who pay at the pump...

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Earlier this year our County dept. got a heads up that a group of theives have been tampering with payment systems on outdoor gas dispensers. Since this happened in San Luis Opisbo, 2 hours south, I didnt think much of it. Well they have now reached my county. These guys keep working their way north and a few people I know were the victims.

The theifs manually place a device inside the pump that reads and stores the card # you enter, and any PIN or code you enter to activate the card. Im not sure how they retrieve the info, probably manually, but this one lady's atm info was stolen and they rang up around $500 in charges. Because it was an ATM, they give you only a few days to dispute a charge, after that you are screwed. This lady found out 10 days after the fact, and she didnt get her money back.

My brother in law's ATM info was stolen as well, but my sister caught the next day by chance, and they were able to remove the charges. The purchases were made in Arizona and Kansas.

Moral of the story, use cash, or your credit card since they are easier to deal with when disputing charges.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
thats why bank cards have chips in them now. just got mine, although the point of sale must have a reader so i still have to "swipe" my card at many places still.

OP
T

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
This has happened around San Luis Obispo(Summer) to Monterey, CA(Last week)... Id imagine that it is happening throughout the state.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
See, here they use your zip code instead of PIN. So I mean, they could still steal gas, but nothing else.

Lame though, freakin thieves. Depressing that you have to pay with a credit card for most things these days just so you can have some help when they screw you.

Members online

No members online now.