• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hello Shot Talk

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Clark... You make some extremely valid points. Late 80's/early 90's, I worked had the privilege of mentoring a group of high school age players. Would not let these kids put a driver in their bag until they could complete a round never missing a fairway with their fairway woods or irons. Solved two issues. One... using more lofted clubs, they experienced better accuracy than with driver. Two... young kids really want to hit driver. Knowing they couldn't put the driver in the bag until they proved their accuracy with other clubs motivated them. But...
IMHO... "opinion"... driver technology has vastly improved over the past years. If you carry a modern 460cc higher lofted driver, you benefit from substantial forgiveness. If I were mentoring those same kids today, with today's driver technology, I'd allow them to carry and hit driver. I want beginners to have the confidence that they can find fairways. but, I want them to enjoy the ability to hit the good tee ball that'll keep them excited about the game. I would think the larger clubface of today's driver would be much easier to make solid contact with than a fairway wood or long iron.

Again, there are no textbooks that will be the key to low scoring for each and every person taking up the game. Your points put the more lofted clubs in the beginner's hands. That is great strategy. Personally, I'd like to see them with a 460 cc, 11 or 12 degree driver also.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
G'day & welcome.

... and picking up on some of the discussion - yes, course management is key. Use driver only where the risk / reward ratio is favourable.

To be frank, I could probably hit way better scores by using nothing bigger than a 2 hybrid off the tee.

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Welcome aboard Jeff. You'll enjoy this place alot.
(Because I'm going to join in I thought I'd say this here)
You will learn that topics go off topic very fast around here lol.

Onto the off topic topic lol.
I've just recently ditched my woods to the boot when I go out for a hit now and carry nothing over a 5 iron. I have to say I'm enjoying golf far more then I did before because hitting fairway after fairway is a good feeling lol. Being a shorter course than most, I would usually drive 260-270 metres and then have a wedge into the green on most holes. My lower irons rarely saw the light of day. Since teeing off with my 5 iron, it's usually a 6-7 iron into the green and boy it feels much more satisfying hitting a 7iron from 140m onto the green than a 30-40m wedge.
Of course I'll slowly bring my driver into my game again but I think dropping your woods for a few rounds and hitting your lower irons will give most players a nice boost of confidence being on the short stuff more often than not.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I'm a relatively new golfer from the North Carolina area. I doubt I'll be able to contribute much advice for the moment, but I'm working on my game and improving constantly.
What part of NC?? I have a daughter-in-law from the Wilmington area.

🔥 Latest posts