• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help me find the left side just ONCE!!!

jchase

Sep 23, 2008
Well went to the local course today as it was 63 and nice today. Well needless to say i tried a mizuno mp600 i think it was driver. In the 9.5 stiff shaft and just could not hit anything left or even down the center. Everything i hit was going right. I tried closing my stance closing the clubface at address i just tried everything i could and for the life of me could not hit a straight shot to save my life. It was pretty windy today so that may have played a part in it.

But i was only getting 200 yard drives! And from the launch monitor at dick's i have 108 ss and average 275 carry on their launch monitor, but man did that not translate today. Is there anything i can do even if it is a pull hook i don't care i just want to be able to hit the ball left just once!!!!!!!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
When I play late in the winter months, and haven't played all year, I tend to side towards a fade even when my primary shot was a draw. All about technique.

Will let you know how it works out tomorrow, as I plan on playing my first round in about 2-3 months.

Will definitely be aiming of the 1st tee to the left just out of principle. :)

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Try strengthening your grip and concentrate on swing in to out. Also make sure you are rotating your forearms. Your forearms should be crossed when you finish your follow through.

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Does the ball start out right? If so, then the face is open at impact (generally)

If the ball starts out straight, then veers to the right, then its an out to in swing.

Open face is easy for me to fix, I just grip it weaker, setup so the right arm is closer to the body than the left, and that the left is straighter, make sure the right hand is bent back at the top, then step on your left leg (pivot point) and swing through. Ball straightens out, then this swing will then turn into a draw, then low over-drawn, then a hook, then a pull hook, then a snake raping duck hook... but this fix usually works for a few swings :p

Swinging out to in is hard for me to fix while playing, at the range I focus on just moving my arms down from the top... the body will move the arms "around" to the ball, and give an inside hit... usually takes alot of practice swings to get rid of the out to in while playing.

farscape7

Dec 18, 2008
you may want to try relaxing your grip as you might be too stiff causing your club face to remain open. works for me.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Drawing a driver is not something that comes easily for me. Not a big deal. Even a lot of pros have trouble with it, so they don't. I play a cut, always. Open my stance slightly to my target line and turn my lead hip out of the way, clearing hard to my bodyline on the downswing. The ball will always cut off my bodyline.

For what it's worth I tried hitting a draw in FL with another guys FT5 shafted with an NV stiff. I 1st blocked one out right. I hit another and just relaxed, made a normal swing and let the club follow the in to out path my stance created. Sure enough, a nice 270yd. drive with a 10yd. draw. For me, a draw requires a "swing" while a fade I can just belt it with a "hit".

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Send me the driver and I'll show you the left side. Trust me, there isn't a driver made I can't find a way to...um...draw! Yeah, that's it...it's a draw! ;)

What's your normal shot (straight, left, right), what shaft is in your regular driver, and what was in the Mizzie? This will give the guru's around here more to work with.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Does the ball start out right? If so, then the face is open at impact (generally) No, ANY slice will have the face open to the swingpath... If the ball starts out to the right and continues slicing your swingpath is inside out with an open face.

If the ball starts out straight, then veers to the right, then its an out to in swing. No, if the ball starts straight then the swingpath is fine, but the face is open...

When the ball starts off left and moves back to the right, the swing is out to in with an open face.

Open face is easy for me to fix, I just grip it weaker, setup so the right arm is closer to the body than the left, and that the left is straighter, make sure the right hand is bent back at the top, then step on your left leg (pivot point) and swing through. Ball straightens out, then this swing will then turn into a draw, then low over-drawn, then a hook, then a pull hook, then a snake raping duck hook... but this fix usually works for a few swings :p

Swinging out to in is hard for me to fix while playing, at the range I focus on just moving my arms down from the top... the body will move the arms "around" to the ball, and give an inside hit... usually takes alot of practice swings to get rid of the out to in while playing.

see quote...

OP
J

jchase

Sep 23, 2008
Thanks guys not sure what the deal is on the course. Maybe i am trying to hit it to hard even though i make sure to really relax my grip and swing. I have tried using the 10 finger grip and that seemed to help straighten things out a bit. But hitting on the launch monitor and i did hit a r7 stiff 10.5 at the local pro shop I seemed to hit it so much better and straighter.

Maybe i will just chalk it up to a bad day. And i am looking at picking up a new driver and reshafting my 3 wood. Hopefully will improve next time out. And the driver i used yesterday had a fujikura fit on S shaft in 9.5 loft it had the speed track system or something that i did not even mess with maybe that was causing some problems not sure.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I completely disagree, but to each his own

Uh, okay? It's not difficult-the ball starts on line with the swing path and the face angle dictates the direction it curves. I suppose I can't make you agree with the physics.

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Dude, physics tells me the exact opposite. Pick up a putter then try to tell me the ball starts on line with the swing path.

Check out the book: Physics of Golf by Jorgensen

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Clubface determines 80 to 90 percent of the balls initial direction... From Driver to putter, its the same.

post-44929-1234566032-2.gif

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.