• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help... Slicing my Driver!

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
Well, like the title says, I am sliciing my driver really badly. The weird thing is that it is the only club that I am slicing, I hit my 3 wood and my hybrid fairly straight and my irons have a draw if anything.

Is there anything that would cause me to only slice my driver and nothing else.

It has been really frustrating because I fell that I am hitting the ball well enough to be shooting very well, but I cant put the ball in play off of the tee.

neill91_maui

KING COBRA
Feb 9, 2008
when i start to slice useing my driver i slow everything down my take away is much slower then normal and it helped me.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
basically your trying to hit it harder than you can and you are bringing the club over the top causing an outside in swing plane imparting a tilted axis of spin on the ball causing the air on the right side of the ball to move faster than the air on the left side of the ball creating a vacuum and thus the ball moves to teh right in the air

Lots of things you can do to create the inside to outside swing plane and the one that helped me was to keep my wrist cock until as late as possible in the downswing, this keeps you from making that "over the top" move otherwise known as "casting" the club

Takeing a stronger grip also helps some people get away from the slice, or at least reduce the severity of it.

OP
Dusty90

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
basically your trying to hit it harder than you can and you are bringing the club over the top causing an outside in swing plane imparting a tilted axis of spin on the ball causing the air on the right side of the ball to move faster than the air on the left side of the ball creating a vacuum and thus the ball moves to teh right in the air

Lots of things you can do to create the inside to outside swing plane and the one that helped me was to keep my wrist cock until as late as possible in the downswing, this keeps you from making that "over the top" move otherwise known as "casting" the club

Takeing a stronger grip also helps some people get away from the slice, or at least reduce the severity of it.

I'm not sure that this is the problem, I have been trying to make sure that I am not swinging to hard and I have been making sure that I had an inside out swingpath. Ill try this a little bit more next time, but Im not convinced that that is the answer.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Then try strengthening your grip. Rotate your left hand more to the right on the club grip. That is if your right handed.

OP
Dusty90

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
Then try strengthening your grip. Rotate your left hand more to the right on the club grip. That is if your right handed.

Do you mean so that the top of your hand is more towards the tip of the club than the side? I will try this too.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'd try the grip thing first. I often swing a few practice swings with my left hand only. If I slice a drive at all it's because I drop my right shoulder and my right hand takes over, actully turning the clubface more open into impact. The ball slices for one reason, the clubface is open to the swingpath, get it square from the start and back to square at impact.

5iron

Well if you are cutting across the ball , loosening your grip may help. I just re- developed my slice(sadly) and i am focusing on finishing straight at 12 o'clock, and starting my swing with my hands until my body almost has to move . If i got tommorow and hit balls, opefully it will work, or ill hook !, lol./

OP
Dusty90

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
Ill try to get one up eventually, but I am not sure when I will be able to do this

5iron

I am also battling with a slice right now, i saw this video YouTube - Golf Tips, Lessons, Instruction & Drills - Release Drill. I havent hit a ball since but im just amking divots in my yard. My divots are kinda flying straight haha. But the thing i took from this is to imagine shaking someones hand after impact , is what i think he said. It has helped me sofar, so i have to see wqhen i hit balls. I hope your slice goes away.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
If all else fails, consider an offset driver, like the Cobra M Speed Offset. It will cure almost any driver slice.

OP
Dusty90

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
If all else fails, consider an offset driver, like the Cobra M Speed Offset. It will cure almost any driver slice.

This is one thing that I will not do! Unlike alot of people on this board, I believe that it is the indian and not the arrow, usually :laugh: Im sure that with some practice it will come back to me. Plus I still have two lessons left, so after I get a few more rounds in I will try to work specifically on this if I am not able to fix it.

🔥 Latest posts