• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Highlights of Jack Nicklaus Room at USGA Museum

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States

Jack and Barbara Nicklaus entering The Jack Nicklaus Room on Wednesday. (©USGA/John Mummert)
SO WHAT'S IN THE NEW Jack Nicklaus Room at the USGA Museum? Below is a handy summary of artifacts, facts and other information courtesy of the USGA.

On hand for the Wednesday dedication ceremony, I wrote down some of the display headings. They and other aspects of the exhibit are in Jack's words. One read: "All I ever wanted to do was play competitive golf against the best players in the world." Another said: "My dad was my mentor, role model and closest friend."

A couple of things I liked that are not listed below: 1) A letter from Jack's teacher, Jack Grout, written and sent to Jack near the end of Grout's life. 2) A letter to Jack from Ben Hogan suggesting that young Nicklaus try Hogan clubs.

And what about that large-headed putter Jack used to win the 1986 Masters at age 46? On Wednesday, Jack, chuckling, said he has no idea where it is.

Also read "A Room for Jack."

* * *​

NOTABLE ARTIFACTS

MacGregor Tommy Armour 3-wood
Nicklaus used this 3-wood from 1958 through 1995 and won all 18 of his professional majors and both U.S. Amateurs using it.

(And the first time Jack regripped it was 1983. Imagine that.)

"White Fang," Acushnet Bull's Eye Putter
In an effort to jump-start his game, Nicklaus switched to this putter before the 1967 U.S. Open. It was painted white and the round grip was altered with a pencil jammed into the end of it. He made eight birdies in a final-round 65 to win his second U.S. Open.

MacGregor VIP 1-iron
Nicklaus won seven major championships with this 1-iron and hit two of his most memorable shots – the 238-yard approach to the 72nd hole at Baltusrol in 1967 and the tee shot at the 71st hole at Pebble Beach in 1972.

Caddie overalls worn by Jack Nicklaus II, 1986 Masters
Nicklaus won his 18th major championship at Augusta National in 1986 at age 46. The victory was unforgettable not only because of his final-nine heroics, but because his son, Jackie, caddied for him.

MacGregor 5-iron, 1986 Masters
Coming off an eagle at 15, Nicklaus hit a 5-iron at the 170-yard 16th. As the ball was in flight, Jackie yelled, "Be right!" and Nicklaus said, "It is," as the ball rolled back to within 3 feet, setting up a birdie.

Wedding invitation and napkin
Jack and Barbara Nicklaus were married on July 23, 1960. Nicklaus has said that Barbara has been his foundation, his voice of reason, his biggest supporter, his best friend and the love of his life.

Bronze sculpture
Titled "Jack is Back" by Zenos Frudakis

Painting
"A Study of Jack Nicklaus 1" by Harold Riley

Jack Nicklaus Room Facts

• The Jack Nicklaus Room contains 82 artifacts and is 1,200 square feet.
  • Some of the artifacts on display in the room are on loan from the Jack Nicklaus Museum in Columbus, Ohio. We appreciate their support and look forward to continued collaboration.
  • Six themes are highlighted within the room: competitive spirit, integrity, self-belief, commitment, perseverance and vision. Though these attributes are not unique to Jack, we believe the way he related to these principles make Nicklaus golf’s greatest major champion.
  • There are nine short films and 27 "Ask Jack" vignettes highlighting Nicklaus' four U.S. Open victories and the themes discussed above. Additionally, we created a timeline, a statistics page and an interactive coursedesign feature that gives visitors insight into Jack's design philosophy and lets them create their own risk-reward par 4 by choosing the routing and placing bunkers and the green.
  • Two works of art were commissioned for the room: a painting by Harold Riley titled "A Study of Jack Nicklaus I," depicting Nicklaus at Pebble Beach in 1972, and a sculpture by Zenos Frudakis titled "Jack Is Back," showing Nicklaus celebrating a birdie putt on the 71st hole of the 1980 U.S. Open at Baltusrol.
  • The room is meant to be an intimate examination of Jack and his career. We explore the moments, people and events that shaped and influenced his life. By having Jack speak in the first person to the visitor, whether through written words or interviews, we hope it is a deeply personal experience for everyone.
  • In addition to the exhibits in the room, the short films will be shared through USGA digital media channels in the coming months to reach a worldwide audience. The goal of these videos is to share Jack"s success, both on and off the golf course, with future generations.
  • The architect of the project is Gensler. The exhibit designers are 1220 Exhibits and Peter Hyde Design.

Source: Highlights of Jack Nicklaus Room at USGA Museum

🔥 Latest posts