• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hitting poor iron shots?

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
I need some help. I've been playing the best golf of my life recently (ball striking wise), Ive been crushing my driver woods and long irons and hitting the ball straight. Recently though I can seem to hit a solid short iron, these should be my irons that I can consistently hit close but I seem to be hitting them thin and thus losing them right. Can someone help me? Or do i need to post a video of my swing to be more specific? Thanks.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
One possibility is that you swinging your short irons flatter like you would for your long irons and driver.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I only know what works for me... I say 2 words to myself out loud and strike it solid... "trap it". I get the hands pressing forward a bit from the get go and try to take a divot 2 inches in front of the ball.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Make sure you're rotating. Don't just take the club back across your chest and swing it through. Get it behind you, then let it go.

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
I only know what works for me... I say 2 words to myself out loud and strike it solid... "trap it". I get the hands pressing forward a bit from the get go and try to take a divot 2 inches in front of the ball.

Agreed, 2" is a start you want your swing bottom (the deepest part of your divot) to be about 4" ahead of the ball ideally. Most PGA pros average is about 4.5" ahead of the ball. Give Bobby Clampett's book Impact Zone a read. The one thing he stresses the most in his book is getting your swing bottom 4" ahead of the ball. Go in a bunker if your range has one and draw a line in the sand. Place your ball on that line and practice hitting down and through the ball and getting that swing bottom out in front, you will be able to see exactly where your divot starts and where the deepest part is. Its also good practice for those long bunker shots. Also thin is better that hitting them fat, you will see some pros hit the ball thin sometimes but rarely do they hit the ball fat. Good Luck.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Make sure you're rotating. Don't just take the club back across your chest and swing it through. Get it behind you, then let it go.
Good rotation has been the #1 revelation for me this last year. Took me a long time to figure it out, but all kinds of good things are starting to happen now.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
There is a tip in this months Golf Tips magazine that seems to be helping me, when I can remember to do it that is. It's called, "The 1 and 2 swing". Remember to pause at the top, the "AND" part, just long enough to begin your swing by rotating your hips around, this causes your arms to come around automatically, but creates lag and seems to cause me to hit more down on the ball instead of trying to sweep it which I tend to do.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Ever since a friend (Razor) told me I had "dancing feet" I've been keeping them quiet and not moving my head (my other problem last year). I HAVEN'T shanked any irons in the last month. :)

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Ever since a friend (Razor) told me I had "dancing feet" I've been keeping them quiet and not moving my head (my other problem last year). I HAVEN'T shanked any irons in the last month. :)

You know that merely by typing the word you have cursed yourself & your clubs.:laugh:

I quit reading tips in the magazines, every single article tells you to do something different, how the hell do you know which is correct & which ones are full of it? I have just been experimenting on my own using my own ugly swing & seeing what position, what grip, etc etc works best for me. Sure it's a slow process but I have nothing but time.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.