• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hitting with a 3 Iron

Rookie_Golfer

Mar 7, 2006
Hi,

I am new on here, and I am a rookie golfer. I have been playing for about a year now, and I really enjoyed playing golf now since I started playing. I just bought a new set of Nike Slingshot Irons last summer, and my golf game is improving as I spend more time practicing. My question is about hitting with my 3 and 4 Nike Slingshot Irons. I have a difficult time hitting these two irons without a tee. Is there something that I am doing wrong? My shots would sink and bounce on the ground when hitting with these 2 irons. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You...

Rookie Golfer

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
RG,

Don't be intimidated by this. Long irons are the bane of many golfer's existence. That's why they brought out high number fairways woods, and more recently, hybrids.

Your long iron game will come with time with confidence, practice and a good sense of your own swing. You'll soon start to figure out swing faults and correct them slowly.

However, if you feel as tho your game needs those long irons, I recommend trying the new hybrids. They're just alot easier and instill confidence in even the best golfers. Hell, I play to about a 5 handicap, and I'm thinking of going back to one! :D

But, if you're a purist, and you want to learn how to hit those bloody, gawd-awful sun'sa-beatches, have your local pro give you a few lessons. That time with him/her will be worth it's weight in gold. They will be able to better instruct you with some hands on and confidence building practice strategies that will benefit your game on the whole.

Good luck in your progress. But again, don't be discouraged by this. And by the sounds of your description, you're on the right track by focusing more of your practice time on the short game and putting, so you're already ahead of many, MANY people on this board! :D

Cheers, and welcome abaord!

R35

Highline

Mar 7, 2006
<-----unfamiliar with hybrids...

What are the difference in hybrids? I've not seen one....maybe I should consider???

OP
R

Rookie_Golfer

Mar 7, 2006
Rockford35,

Thanks for the tips... I really don't like using the 3 and 4 iron, but on a good day, I accidentally get a few good hit with the 3 and 4, but never sure how I hit it? the next few shots just bounces all over the driving range.

Rockford35 said:
RG,

Don't be intimidated by this. Long irons are the bane of many golfer's existence. That's why they brought out high number fairways woods, and more recently, hybrids.

Your long iron game will come with time with confidence, practice and a good sense of your own swing. You'll soon start to figure out swing faults and correct them slowly.

However, if you feel as tho your game needs those long irons, I recommend trying the new hybrids. They're just alot easier and instill confidence in even the best golfers. Hell, I play to about a 5 handicap, and I'm thinking of going back to one! :D

But, if you're a purist, and you want to learn how to hit those bloody, gawd-awful sun'sa-beatches, have your local pro give you a few lessons. That time with him/her will be worth it's weight in gold. They will be able to better instruct you with some hands on and confidence building practice strategies that will benefit your game on the whole.

Good luck in your progress. But again, don't be discouraged by this. And by the sounds of your description, you're on the right track by focusing more of your practice time on the short game and putting, so you're already ahead of many, MANY people on this board! :D

Cheers, and welcome abaord!

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Say wha?

You've never seen a hybrid? Well i'll be damned...:D

A hybrid is a mix between a fairway wood and an iron. It has a low center of gravity to help encourage getting the ball airborne, which is most of the battle with a long iron. They are long and forgiving and often take much of the swearing out of your long iron game.

Here's a few that are available of the hundreds that are:
Halo.JPG
hyb-rescueTM.jpg
jmaxtourironwood.jpg

Highline

Mar 7, 2006
Thanks, R...

Maybe this can be a catalyst for some better nghts at the range.....

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
The longer the iron,the more clubhead speed is required to hit them well,hence why beginners struggle with them,they generally try to hit them to hard,yet an experienced player slows down the swing to generate more speed.Swing slower to hit harder,its something that comes with practice.

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
dave. said:
The longer the iron,the more clubhead speed is required to hit them well,hence why beginners struggle with them,they generally try to hit them to hard,yet an experienced player slows down the swing to generate more speed.Swing slower to hit harder,its something that comes with practice.
I find long irons easier to hit with my swing then shorter irons, I guess that has to do with my flat swing. With long irons I try to swing as if I were swinging a broom.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
i could never hit my long irons until i shortend my swing and swung more aggressively

Witmaster

Esprit de Corps
Jan 19, 2006
There is (typically) a lot more profanity emmiting from my fairway when a long iron is in use. Not sure if it improves my performance but it does reinforce my belief in my hybrid :)

Chas

Dec 10, 2005
Sunny Southern California
Country
United States United States
Witmaster said:
There is (typically) a lot more profanity emmiting from my fairway when a long iron is in use. Not sure if it improves my performance but it does reinforce my belief in my hybrid :)
Yeah, really. Arnold Palmer said in his instructional video, "If there is a club which helps you to enjoy the game, put that club in your bag."

🔥 Latest posts