• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hockey is coming back....

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Do it.

Hockey is a great game. The rules are simple, it's very athletic and you don't need alot of skill to be a standout.

If you can, sit down by the bench. You'll hear the funniest shit ever come out of hockey players mouths during a game, it's hilarious.

R35

Gridiron

Jul 14, 2005
Personally, I think the shot ouot rule is a good thing for the regular season. Only as long as they keep it out of the playoffs. Many rules came about inbetween the hockey seasons. It just that there hasn't been a major change in so long that everyone goes nuts.
It wasn't that long ago that they brought the two line pass and the Icing rule to slow down the (then ) too strong Montreal Canadian. They thought these rulles would kill the game. But it didn't, now people are going nuts because they are changing it back the way it was.
Chang it always scary but nothing ever says that you can't change it back if it doesn't work...So chill.
I think this will be one of the most exciting season I have seen since the early 80's. Do I blame the players "no" I would want as much as I could get too for my job. If the owner are going to give the money why not take it. It's just that now the owner are on a leach.
I'm happy the hockey season is starting because I can bug Toronto fans again.
Why is the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto?
That's the only way they will ever see the cup!!!
GO HABS GO!!!!!:canadafla . Now with Gainey and the salary cap Montreal might see Stanley for the 25th time soon.
Ok one more. :biglol:
Why do people in Toronto drink their tea in MUGS??
Because all the CUPS are in Montreal!!!!!LOL

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Kilted Arab said:
You know, that's a good point.

Football in the UK is another example. There's one Man United player that the club stood by constantly throughout a 9-month suspension (player failed to turn up for a scheduled drug test), and now this b'stard is refusing to sign a new contract - he's being offered GBP100k per week - that's US$175k. Per week. And he wants more. I'd give him more. A fecking size 9 boot up his backside and tell him tae feck off.

Too true KA, an absolute disgrace - he "allegedly" showed the 2 fingers to a contingent of Man Utd fans who were barracking him on the tour of far east to rub salt into the wound. While no lover of Man U as they stole that player from ma beloved Leeds albeit we got £29 million - loyalty and fair play on the players part seems to have all but gone away.

Oh on the subject of hockey ..3 words .. Argentinian Womens Team .. the ladies world champs was played here 4 years ago or so ... my oh my how they converted us pervs to the wonders of the game ....packed out every venue ... cant remember how they did ... but they got a lot of 1 handed applause :D

Golfbum

THAT'S SOLID
Jan 14, 2005
Rockford35 said:
A shoot out is when you go through 60 minutes of tough hockey, followed by 5 minutes of 4 on 4 (they usually play 5 on 5, 3 forwards and 2 defencemen) and then settle the game by having the top 5 shooters on each team go one on one with the goalie.

It's total crap. Even in the Olympics.

No team sport should be won or lost by one person, whether that be the goalie or one player.

Remember Paul Kayria a few years back for Canada? His lacklustre attempt basically gave the Czechs the gold medal.

It's the worst - THE WORST - way to lose a game.

R35

Shootouts seem to work fine in the JR league games I attend. Fans love it, and no teams have complained about this rule since it was put in place 6 years ago. As for the playoffs, I doubt it will be in place for those games. It is not in place in our JR B league for playoff games.
It is a way to decide which team gets the extra point. Maybe it will eliminate teams from being tied late in a game and hanging on for OT, knowing if they get to OT they are both assured of one point.
The NHLPA were in favour of the currrent rule changes. Players met during the winter to discuss changing the way the game is played to bring more excitement to the game.
As a fan, if you were attending a game during the week and had to get up at 6AM for work would you want to sit through 3 20 minute OT periods?
It was time for some changes in the NHL, who the hell wants to pay $200 for a ticket to sit and watch a game end in a 0-0 tie after 65 minutes of hockey? How boring is that? That is exactly what has happened in the past.
Line em up and shoot it out. Both teams have the same chance to gain the extra point.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Make wins worth 2, and loses worth 0. There are no ties.

Then you'd see wide open hockey for 60 minutes. I mean, these guys aren't going to play defensive minded hockey if it means they have to pay an extra 35 minutes after the first 60.

The point argument isn't valid. Take away points for ties and you eliminate it completely. And, with professional teams using airlines instead of juniors using buses to travel, there are different considerations concerning time restraints. I have no problem with juniors having shootouts, as tickets are 15 bucks.

But if I pay the 200 as you said, there's no way I want to lose a game 1-0 from a shootout, as a fan, or as a player.

Conversely, this may all be for not if the NHL starts calling penalties. Then you'll see less and less overtime games to begin with.

And that's perfect as far as I'm concerned.

R35

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Silver said:
DI, are you referring to real hockey or field hockey?

Hi Silver, naw I hijacked the ice hockey thread to reveal my perv ramblings on field hockey....... in actual fact we used to have a good deal of ice hockey televised here. There is an ice hockey team in Belfast (Giants) that compete in the UK National Hockey league. They recently received a big investment from a Canadian business man (think he's in software), and they're hoping to forge an affiliation with one of the major hockey teams in US/Canada.

The problem with sport up in Northern Ireland is that spectators are easily labelled based on the sport they watch - Rugby/Cricket and Soccer to a lesser extent would be the preserve of the protestant classes, whereas Gaelic Football and Hurling would be exclusively catholic. The introduction of ice hockey up north gave a non-denominational feel to sport for the 1st time.

I think the only other past-time that both communities enjoyed together before ice hockey was stone throwing ....I think that's where IG's accuracy with his irons was honed :D

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Dave Ireland said:
I think the only other past-time that both communities enjoyed together before ice hockey was stone throwing ....I think that's where IG's accuracy with his irons was honed :D

You can't beat a good riot.
LOL...I remember a funny time in Northern Ireland's history. It was the mid 80s and there were various political changes being proposed about the constitution. Anyway, it was the famous era of "Belfast says No! "(How times have changed, right?)

There was a massive protest at the City Hall, which eventually turned into a riot between protestors and the Police.

Due to a lack of ammunition, the lateral thinking rioters smashed up a local sports shop, and very shortly afterwards emerged with fresh ammo, cleaning them out of golf balls.

I have never seen so many brand new Titliests, Pinnacles etc. whizzing around. It was like a Japanese Driving Range 5 mins before closing.

I kinda wished I was there, just to snag a few for personal use, ;)

Ahhh, we can laugh about it now.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
yeah a good fight always livens up the game.unfortunately there isnt any more bench clearing brawls.watchin 2 goalies go at it was always helarious.

BOOO HABS BOOO

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
You can't beat a good riot.
LOL...I remember a funny time in Northern Ireland's history. It was the mid 80s and there were various political changes being proposed about the constitution. Anyway, it was the famous era of "Belfast says No! "(How times have changed, right?)

There was a massive protest at the City Hall, which eventually turned into a riot between protestors and the Police.

Due to a lack of ammunition, the lateral thinking rioters smashed up a local sports shop, and very shortly afterwards emerged with fresh ammo, cleaning them out of golf balls.

I have never seen so many brand new Titliests, Pinnacles etc. whizzing around. It was like a Japanese Driving Range 5 mins before closing.

I kinda wished I was there, just to snag a few for personal use, ;)

Ahhh, we can laugh about it now.

Reminds me of the funny story you told back during the dark days of the Drumcree protests - where police lines had to be drawn to stop the marchers going down the Garvahy Road, and the guy up on top a portacabin wearing a hood/balaclava smacking 4 irons into the swelled ranks of the police. He was later fingered coz some guy was able to him from his swing :D

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Dave Ireland said:
Reminds me of the funny story you told back during the dark days of the Drumcree protests - where police lines had to be drawn to stop the marchers going down the Garvahy Road, and the guy up on top a portacabin wearing a hood/balaclava smacking 4 irons into the swelled ranks of the police. He was later fingered coz some guy was able to him from his swing :D

See Dave
How to improve you golf and be part of the History of Ulster. :D

LMAO - imagine the police line up. All these balaclaved dudes swinging 4 irons, and some geezer shouting "that's him, I'd recognise that take-away and grip anywhere".

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
See Dave

LMAO - imagine the police line up. All these balaclaved dudes swinging 4 irons, and some geezer shouting "that's him, I'd recognise that take-away and grip anywhere".

LMAO .... and the geezer behind the smoked glass askin could they get the line up to shout "Fore Right" as they swing ...

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
See Dave

Best laugh of the mornin'....:D

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
You know what's a laugh? Front page news in Vancouver is that a hockey player (Todd Bertuzzi) got reinstated.

Who cares.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.