• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Home exercise equipment

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
My wife and I are making a goal of getting healthier and starting now.

We'd really like an elliptical machine but our ceiling height won't allow it, at least the ones we've looked at.

We are thinking exercise bike. Mainly we want to exercise when it's -30 outside, good cardio workout to burn calories and lose weight.

Any other suggestions?

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
My wife and I are making a goal of getting healthier and starting now.

We'd really like an elliptical machine but our ceiling height won't allow it, at least the ones we've looked at.

We are thinking exercise bike. Mainly we want to exercise when it's -30 outside, good cardio workout to burn calories and lose weight.

Any other suggestions?
You know I'm on the same journey and love riding my bike. If riding outside isn't an option, I'd say exercise bike (maybe even recumbent) is the answer. Congrats on making the decision to get healthier!

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
You know I'm on the same journey and love riding my bike. If riding outside isn't an option, I'd say exercise bike (maybe even recumbent) is the answer. Congrats on making the decision to get healthier!
I think we are leaning toward recumbent. Riding outside isn't an option now though. We were thinking Nordic Track but I don't know.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Unless you are both very dedicated the equipment won't get used. Seriously I have seen it far too often with family members and people I work with.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Unless you are both very dedicated the equipment won't get used. Seriously I have seen it far too often with family members and people I work with.
That is my other fear. We have both talked about getting healthy for awhile. There really aren't any gyms in the area that make sense to join, closest is 45 min. In the summer I can do lots of excel ode, winter is tough though.

At this point it isn't a choice of dedication or not. We need to get healthier. Easy to say but I'm ready for a change.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Did you say you have bikes? if so just get a bike trainer. They're small and you can ride on your bike while watching tv, reading, or just talking to one another.

indoor-bike-trainer.jpg

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Did you say you have bikes? if so just get a bike trainer. They're small and you can ride on your bike while watching tv, reading, or just talking to one another.

indoor-bike-trainer.jpg
I'm so in on this for when it gets colder, so far Under Armour has done the trick!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I suggest you try having sex every night for a month first. Frankly, if you can't stick with that, ain't no way your exercise equipment will get used. :D

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

I agree. I'm not trying to rain on Jim's parade but the reality is that a lot of home exercise equipment doesn't get used. My sister is on her 3rd home treadmill now. The previous two were sold. Her kids were the only one's that used it (for horsing around). I don't hold much hope for the 3rd one getting regular use.

I always think it's much better to get outside (even if it's to a local gym) than being cooped up at home. The impact on a person's mental health that the great outdoors brings should always be factored in. But I do understand that snowy winter conditions can have an impact.

indoor-bike-trainer.jpg

I like that idea. Then when it gets warmer you'll be itching to go riding in the great outdoors.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
See what resources are available in your community. Malls, community centers, etc. will often have indoor areas where they encourage walking. Here, the local mall has a huge turnout every morning... and it's not all senior citizens. They open at like 6 a.m. so folks can get in some excellent exercise before work. A local Catholic church has a large fellowship hall where parishioners... and visitors... walk to get exercise. Some school systems will open a gymnasium, etc. for early morning exercising.
If you and your wife can get out and walk with a crowd, you will make new friends and encourage each other to keep up a regular exercise program. Cost... zilch!!!

Besides, if you buy an exercise bike, it'll be just like when you buy a driver on ebay. You'd pretty soon have it stripped down, selling the pedals, handlebars, stand, etc. on the 'bay'... trying to make a profit.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I agree. I'm not trying to rain on Jim's parade but the reality is that a lot of home exercise equipment doesn't get used. My sister is on her 3rd home treadmill now. The previous two were sold. Her kids were the only one's that used it (for horsing around). I don't hold much hope for the 3rd one getting regular use.

I always think it's much better to get outside (even if it's to a local gym) than being cooped up at home. The impact on a person's mental health that the great outdoors brings should always be factored in. But I do understand that snowy winter conditions can have an impact.

I like that idea. Then when it gets warmer you'll be itching to go riding in the great outdoors.
Getting outside is much better, agreed. We are at a point in our season though that soon most days will be around 20 and conditions are not favorable for walking-which I love and I don't ski or snowboard not do I have an interest in learning to.

And I don't have a bike...yet.

I'd like something I can do cardio on daily to help lose weight and get healthy.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
What I like about the trainer over a exercise bike is the riding position is the same indoors and out. It will fit in your closet when not in use, and (in this case) gives you an excuse to buy a bike. :D

Last edited:

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
What I like about the trainer over a exercise bike is the riding position is the same indoors and out. It will fit in your closet when not in use, and (in this cade) gives you an excuse to buy a bike. :D
So much win in this post! I suggest a single speed for the bike. No gears=no cheating on hills (when you get to get outside). :)

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I started by doing anything I could that did not require a bit of equipment. Pushups, sit ups, pull ups, up&downs on a box or stairs, running, walking, jumping jax, etc. At first I was pitiful. It sucked. You know you're doing good when you are uncomfortable, sweating your friggin butt off, and in pain... That's when you turn up & do more till you can't anymore.

The other half of the equation, equally as hard, is totally abandoning the $hit diet. This really comes into play after a hard ass workout when you feel like you need to "replenish." I don't Like the word diet as something a person does or goes on. Diets have an end. What I prefer is to make the changes your life/lifestyle. That is to say you are not on a diet... Eating healthy is just who you are now. Not counting calories in hopes there'll be enough left to have a brownie, just "I don't eat brownies". If that makes sense.

None of that matters though if its not what you want for real.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
All good comments by Nute.

I've just pulled the trigger on a Blendtec blender based on my sister's experience. The options for healthy eating are endless. It's different from a juicer. A blender pulverises everything so you're not throwing out any of the goodness/fiber of the fruit or vegetables.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.