• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How 'bout them Brewers!!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Finally! A team in Milwaukee worth going to see... :)

Even in their best years (and I went to Brewer's games in Robin Yount's rookie season) they always did the same thing: start out fast, get into the pharmaceuticals, and drop off the face of the planet.

I would love to see them do something this year.

BTW - I haven't been to Miller Park yet. Do they still have the guy who slides into the beer mug? What was his name - Bernie Brewer?

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
petersmells posted: Won't last, Astros will be ahead of them by seasons end. (even without RogerPOS)
Are you serious????????? We will see. The Brewers are no fluke. The new owner has built this team piece by piece...........he wants a winner, and he knows what he's doing. They have no weaknesses. :)

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Hardy and Fielder have been smoking the ball. And bullpen has been great. Hope they do well however the 1982 Brewers had more character. Gorman was the guy everyone on a slow pitch team wanted to be. Fingers had that handlebar and wicked slider. Don Sutton the old willy pro. Teddy Simmons was as slow as a glacier and hit 300.( Saw him steal a base --- had time to order a beer and toast him during the steal) Gantner a small town Wisconsin product. Yount was pure class. Vuckovic was perfect fit for Milwaukee fans. A working man. Coop had that weird stance and delivered that key hit to left at play-offs Angels I believe??? and Pauly Molitor was a class act after he cleaned up. Bamberger---what can I say. The Harvey wallbangers were fun to watch.

The other Milwaukee team which comes close is 1956 Braves Aaron,Adcock,Matthews,Burdette,Spahnn,Schiendiest etc.

If Brewers are in 1st place at all-star break then I'm a believer and golly I do want to believe.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
BTW - I haven't been to Miller Park yet. Do they still have the guy who slides into the beer mug? What was his name - Bernie Brewer?

Eracer

Yup, he's got his slide but it isn't as fancy as before. Miller Park is awesome. Not a bad seat in the house. No rainouts. Best thing they've ever done for Milwaukee sports.

Starting pitching

VtDivot

Boy, you haven't been paying attention. They stole the Cardinals best pitcher. Sheets is healthy. Capuano is mowing them down. Etc Etc

Sheets, Capuano, Suppan, Bush and Vargas. Name a better group of starters in baseball.

:laugh:

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
WBL - thanks for the head's up. I haven't paid attention to baseball since the great greedfest that was the 1994 strike. The whole industry just pissed me off. I still hate the fact that teams (if you can even call them that anymore) can be purchased for whatever piles of cash can be thrown at them. America's game indeed!

But I'll always have a nostalgic spot in me for the Brewers, so I'll pay attention to them this year.

I do go to some of the Ray's games. It was awfully sweet to see, in person, the Rays with their $20 million team salary beat the Yankees and their $26 million man.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Yup, he's got his slide but it isn't as fancy as before. Miller Park is awesome. Not a bad seat in the house. No rainouts. Best thing they've ever done for Milwaukee sports.

Boy, you haven't been paying attention. They stole the Cardinals best pitcher. Sheets is healthy. Capuano is mowing them down. Etc Etc

Sheets, Capuano, Suppan, Bush and Vargas. Name a better group of starters in baseball.

:laugh:

Bush and Vargas are mediocre at best, but are having great starts to the season. Suppan is way over his head right now also.

I like Capuano a lot and Sheets if he returns to form is awesome. I really like the Brewers and hope they do well. My point is that currently their staff are overachieving. And I'll take the Tigers staff ;)

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
Miller Park is awesome. Not a bad seat in the house. No rainouts. Best thing they've ever done for Milwaukee sports.

The stadium is impressive, gets a little humid but the ability to tailgate more than makes up for it. Brats and Beer before the game is hard to beat.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
VtDivot Quote:
Originally Posted by sssmokin
They have no weaknesses. :)

Starting pitching
I think you'd better take another look. That's a strong point this year.
Claudio Vargas 3-0 2.89era, Chris Capuano 5-0 2.31era, Jeff Suppan 5-2 2.62era, Ben Sheets 2-2 4.04era, and Dave Bush (he has his moments). With the excellent relief pitching, I'd put this staff up against any in the NL.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
And they've got another young guy coming up that could pitch for most any major league team. He'll probably be up this summer. :)

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Brewers are now 24-10 (best in baseball). 9-1 on last home stand. Pitching staff leads the majors (VT!!). They're for real. :)

🔥 Latest posts