• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How to cut down a driver?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
My son has been using one of my ex Drivers. He's 12 and it's up to his shoulder. Thing is he hits it well. I think I should trim it down for him.

So can I cut from butt end? Any hard and fast rules about length? Will it make it stiffer?

Thanks!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Yes, you cut what you want off the butt end.

Cutting down a driver will change the swingweight and will change the frequency (flex). The amount of change will depend on how much you cut off.

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
My son has been using one of my ex Drivers. He's 12 and it's up to his shoulder. Thing is he hits it well. I think I should trim it down for him.

So can I cut from butt end? Any hard and fast rules about length? Will it make it stiffer?

Thanks!
From my vastly wide experience on this topic :p , cutting from the butt end a couple inches shouldn't drastically change the stiffness of the shaft, it's more cutting from the tip that affects stiffness to a bigger degree.
Well that's what I'm sure I read about it when looking into cutting mine down an inch.

Last edited:
OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
So I'm thinking of taking 4-6" off the shaft by sawing off the butt end and throwing on a new grip, just worried that it will stiffen up an already stiff shaft. The young fella will struggle with his swing speed. I've read if I add weight to the head it will soften up the flex, true? Do I just add lead tape?

Sorry for the basic questions, just want to keep him motivated, without handing him rebar!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Adding lead tape doesn't "soften" the flex. It can assist in getting the swing weight back closer to where it belongs. At his age, I wouldn't worry too much about the perceived flex. If he makes solid contact, due to the shorter shaft, he will enjoy the game much more than missing the ball with the longer shaft. I'd cut it down and let him hit it. The lighter swingweight might even be an advantage. If not, adding some lead tape doesn't cost that much.

Cutting 5" - 6" off the butt end will probably get you down to where the shaft is slightly smaller in diameter. Try to find a .580 core grip.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Adding lead tape doesn't "soften" the flex. It can assist in getting the swing weight back closer to where it belongs. At his age, I wouldn't worry too much about the perceived flex. If he makes solid contact, due to the shorter shaft, he will enjoy the game much more than missing the ball with the longer shaft. I'd cut it down and let him hit it. The lighter swingweight might even be an advantage. If not, adding some lead tape doesn't cost that much.

Cutting 5" - 6" off the butt end will probably get you down to where the shaft is slightly smaller in diameter. Try to find a .580 core grip.
Thanks Bud

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country

^^^this

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I'm worried that he will develop an overswing trying to hit it. Also it will make it easier for him to hit it more consistently if it is cut down. I must get some video of him to show you guys. He's down to 23 index, not too shabby for a 12 year old playing off the men's tees.

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Keep him into it and he will be a gun in a few years.

Members online

No members online now.