• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hybrid Irons with adjustable weights

titaniummd

Aug 26, 2006
Being a bit of a compulsive person, I could resist buying a hybrid iron (2i and 3i) with adjustable weights.

How do the adjustable weights actually work? Do you remove the screws and leave in only what you want to adjust whether you want to fade or draw?

Sorry about asking such a newbie question. I feel more comfortable with irons than my woods. I feel like putting the woods away (at least the 5 wood) for the 2i hybrid.

Don't you love people who try to experiment with their game just randomly?

It's all good. It's all good.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I had the R7 for a while and now just use lead tape on my current driver to manipulate the flight slightly. If you have 2 places for weights on the club I'm assuming one is close to the heel and the other towards the toe. More weight in the heel will help the close the face and promote a draw or hopefully less slice (if that is a problem). More weight toward the toe will keep the club more open at impact, promoting a fade or helping to correct a hook. Also the manufacturer probably designed the club to have an overall swing weight with both weights inserted. So if you were to leave one out completely you will be lessening the swingweight. Good luck with it. :)

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
<Ahem>

Doc, you're in luck!

I justy happen to have a couple sets of these
left. They work on irons just as well as they do on woods.

I can let you have a set for a song. ;)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
:biglol:
Slingblade61 said:
<Ahem>

Doc, you're in luck!

I justy happen to have a couple sets of these
left. . ;)

That one must have come before my time... I know I couldn't have missed it. I just showed my GF too and she cracked up as she's seen my old R7.

OP
titaniummd

titaniummd

Aug 26, 2006
ezra76 said:
I had the R7 for a while and now just use lead tape on my current driver to manipulate the flight slightly. If you have 2 places for weights on the club I'm assuming one is close to the heel and the other towards the toe. More weight in the heel will help the close the face and promote a draw or hopefully less slice (if that is a problem). More weight toward the toe will keep the club more open at impact, promoting a fade or helping to correct a hook. Also the manufacturer probably designed the club to have an overall swing weight with both weights inserted. So if you were to leave one out completely you will be lessening the swingweight. Good luck with it. :)

It actually has three weights (Heel, toe and central). They are Walter Hagen Hybrids. I couldn't resist the price, although the Cobras, Nike and Orlimars were tempting but didn't have adjustable weights.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
titaniummd said:
It actually has three weights (Heel, toe and central). They are Walter Hagen Hybrids. I couldn't resist the price, although the Cobras, Nike and Orlimars were tempting but didn't have adjustable weights.

Oh ok. Like I said, More in the heel = draw (big hook for me) More in the toe is fade. The third, if I am really good, is more than likely placed slightly lower than the othe 2?? In any case, it is for changing the flight from higher to lower. More weight in the center should = higher flight. The weights, despite the joking, are very nice to have. I added some lead tape to the toe of mine to try to stop the hooking. It helped a little but I really need to just get a stiffer shaft to fix it entirely.

OP
titaniummd

titaniummd

Aug 26, 2006
Thanks. Obviously no R7 by Taylor Made but well worth the price (2 for 100 USD; prev. 200 USD each). I am putting the 3 wood away. I am likely going to hit a 2i from the teebox (pending sufficient competency).

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
Haha sling, i just ghetto-weighted my r5 tp. I bought it for $240, sold the weights and headcover for $75 bucks, am trying to get $80 for the shaft(tour only IverX), but i reshafted the head with a blue and didnt have any weights, so i grabbed 2 screws that were the same threads and wrapped em in lead tape

nice and cheap

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Lead tape does the same thing. This said from a proud r7 owner, I've had my weights set to neutral since the day I bought it. And I didn't buy it for the adjustable weights.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
nsherman2006 said:
Haha sling, i just ghetto-weighted my r5 tp. I bought it for $240, sold the weights and headcover for $75 bucks, am trying to get $80 for the shaft(tour only IverX), but i reshafted the head with a blue and didnt have any weights, so i grabbed 2 screws that were the same threads and wrapped em in lead tape

nice and cheap

You can get the weights for $10 each down my way. I hear you though. Nice deal on the head if you get the $$ for the shaft too. Let me know about the forgiveness in the head as I was looking at those myself..... hint, hint. :)

🔥 Latest posts