1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hybrids @#$%^&

Discussion in 'Hacker's Anonymous' started by limpalong, Nov 27, 2017.

1. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

United States United States
    Are they hittable by anyone? Sure! Anyone but me. Guys in our group hit them and hit them well. Guys on gold discussion boards hit them and hit them well. (Well, guys on golf discussion boards hit EVERYTHING super straight and super far.)
    I've watched videos and read swing tips. I've moved the ball back. Didn't work. I've moved the ball forward. Didn't work. The talk of early hybrids was they hooked the ball. Mine never have.
    Have tried hybrids over the years and never found some I could hit. When I first got these Callaways, a couple of rounds indicated I had it mastered. Honeymoon! When the first bout with PMS hit, they went in the tank... and never have returned to the original luster.

Problem #1. I cannot hit a hybrid that does not slice. If I slow the swing way down and almost punch the ball... sorta straight. Put a full swing on it and they go dead right.
    Problem #2. I've had bowling balls go higher than my hybrids. Most folks say a hybrid will go higher than an equivalent iron. Nope! Not mine. It is most generally a trajectory that would denut an rabbit. If I do get one, for me, really up in the air... the elevation factor is about 2 feet off the ground at its apex. I hit my irons really high. I hit my fairway woods really high. Wouldn't you think I would hit hybrids high? Nope! They are just stubbornly different and do their best to wreck an otherwise good day on the course.

I have a free range pass for a year. Don't normally use the range. Gonna begin beating bucket after bucket, day after day and try to figure these things out. In the meantime, is there a secret formula you guys use to hit your hybrids? How many hybrids do you carry? Have you always hit your hybrids well? If not, what changes did you make to get them to perform?

Fairwaysplitter3320 and PaPaD like this.
  2. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

It's been my experience that guys who struggle with hybrids are the ones who try to hit them like fairway woods. Those who hit them like irons do much better.

Fairwaysplitter3320 and PaPaD like this.
  3. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

What Greg said. I have fairly good success with my 5h, but I have to lean the shaft forward and make sure I compress the ball with a descending blow AND fully release the club. Then, and only then do I get an iron-like flight with softer landing, but I find the same thing easier with an iron.

4. IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer Fac ut gaudeam Supporting Member

I can hit both. It depends on the lie, the shot required etc. Off a good lie I'm happy hitting a long iron. Off a poor lie, from the rough or into a strong breeze I will hit the hybrid. It tends to go lower with a little stock draw. I can hit it from 160-220 yards depending on the conditions/shot required. I hit a lovely shot on Saturday into a par 3, 162 yards into a strong 25mph head and cross wind, I choked down the grip and hit a little, controlled punch that rode the breeze to about 20 feet. Given the conditions, it was one of my shots of the day. It's an old Cobra Baffler 20 degree. It's kept its place in the bag over several contenders over the years.

Limp, most hybrids are hook machines, so I'm surprised to hear you slice yours. And the fact you hit them very low. I'd be suspicious that the shaft is way too stiff. A low pushed shot sounds like you are not able to close the face enough at impact. If you are hitting everything else well, then it sounds like the club. Try out a few models of hybrid until you get one you are comfortable with. I think shaft choice is very important as well, try firm or regular, or even senior, different brands define these differently. The right combo of head and shaft should make a big difference. Only way to see a difference is to get on a simulator and take some numbers, especially club and ball speed, launch angle and spin numbers.

And as the others have said, hit it like a six iron, not like a fairway wood.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    TheTrueReview likes this.
  5. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    Only recently have I been able to bag a hybrid, used to hook them off the planet. What worked for me was, like the others said, hit them like an iron.

6. limpalong

Okay. You guys need to decide how you want to split up the 75 cents I won this morning. Your advice was right on. I had, evidently, been trying to hit the hybrids more as a fairway wood than an irons. The first opportunity this morning I pushed the shaft way forward and squared it like an iron. Aimed to the left of the green to accommodate my slice/fade. The ball went dead straight!!! Ended up pin high, but about 5 yards left of the green. Next opportunity, aimed at the flag. Wow! Even ended up hitting the 3-hybrid off a couple tees and crushed it... dead straight. One of the guys even asked me if I had purchased some new hybrids. I'd had them in the bag a long time, but never did feel comfortable enough to hit them often. When they were performing, today, evidently, it was evident I was doing something different.
    Anyway, it's just one round. But, if I can come close to replicating the hybrid performance of today... I'm elated!!!

7. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    Glad to hear it bud!

8. PaPaD

You're welcome. But it was Greg, really.

9. limpalong

Great is the GREATEST!! But, I didn't know how to split up the 75 cents and give him the larger share. So... I respectfully thanked the entire Shot Talk Ladies Aid Society, equally. In my heart of hearts, I will always be beholding to Greg, though. Until the next time one of the hybrids decides to duck from its responsibility to deliver balls in the direction for which intended.:D:D:D

IrishGolfer likes this.
  10. azgreg

Your ever loving gratitude is enough for me buddy.

11. IrishGolfer

Hey, I typed enough to warrant at least 25c!

Glad to hear you are hitting it again Larry.

12. limpalong

Would probably cost $5.00 to mail one quarter to Ireland!!!! What do you think I am? The Government??:D

13. IrishGolfer

Hey I'll take a bitcoin! Probably only worth about $3m these days.

limpalong likes this.
  14. eclark53520

eclark53520 DB Member Extraordinaire Supporting Member

I have been able to get a few good ball flights with hybrids...but they're few and far between.

I'm not great with fairways either. I usually just stick with my long irons.

MCDavis and PaPaD like this.
  15. SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM I love Hooters Moderator

It won't last. Soon, you will be like me, playing only a 7 iron, sand wedge, and putter. :(

limpalong likes this.
  16. PaPaD

This seems to be working for me as well. Even the mis-hit long irons go straight and on these tight bermuda fairways, they KEEP going.

17. limpalong

Used the hybrids twice during this morning's round. First time, I planned on it to fade as they used to... just not as much. Durn thing went dead straight. Still on the left edge of the green and ended up making par. Second time aimed dead at the pin. That's where the ball went. Missed a short birdie putt... one of 4 short putts missed today. Now, may have to get putting lessons/tips from the Shot Talk Greats!!!:)

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  18. azgreg

Putter is the same, just hit it like a 6 iron.

19. Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer Golfer on hiatus. Supporting Member

Hybrids, driver, irons, I suck with all of them. The only club I hit consistently decent is my 3W.

PaPaD likes this.
  20. limpalong

Today, the putted balls when about the distance one would expect from a 6-iron. My word, the greens were quick!!!