• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I Got Laid off on Friday....

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
I knew things were tight...VP called us in and I thought I was to be there as a mediator when he laid some employees off...then he said we were ALL being let go and we would receive a decent severenace package, and glowing recommendations...blah, blah blah...

I call my wife and break the news she's in hysterics....As I'm driving home I get a call from the owner who said: "oops, we don't want you to leave....see ya on Monday".

So tehnically I was laid off for 20 minutes...should I expect that severance check after all???

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Yikes! Glad you're not fired. My father is retired now, was a carpenter, but he got layed off for a few months a couple years ago. Rough times. :(

5iron

Wow thats good you got your job back man ! It really stinks for those people who got fired though... And sorry Mike1218 about what happened to your Dad...

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Glad to hear you still have your job Rory! :thumbs up:

I think you should tell your boss that you should get at least part of your severance to make up for having to deal with your hysterical wife. :D

(Of course he may say "You know, we could change our minds". :laugh:)

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Tell Indacup Golf if they ever let you go I will not be buying anything from them anymore. The mere hint that I would stop spending all that $$$$$ would guarantee you a job for life!!! :)

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
I was 19 years old working at a hardware store in San Francisco, of course, and I had a Palestinian boss around 35 years old. This was 20 years ago.

People would ask him where he is from and he would say Palestine, and I would interrupt and tell everybody there is no such thing as Palestine. I probably did this a half a dozen times, just for fun.

So this huge bearded angry guy really starts to hate me.

Anyways, I snuck up on him one day when he was checking people out, and I threw a paint roller (the 9 inch cylinder you slide on the roller) at his head. I figured it was light enough it would cause no harm.

I nailed him perfectly right in the head, from 20 feet away. Everyone was laughing, even the guys in line.

He fired me that day. I guess I was looking to get fired, though.

But I did last 6 months there, and I learned a lot.

This story is certainly not "Bravo worthy," but it happened.

spank

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I was 19 years old working at a hardware store in San Francisco, of course, and I had a Palestinian boss around 35 years old. This was 20 years ago.

People would ask him where he is from and he would say Palestine, and I would interrupt and tell everybody there is no such thing as Palestine. I probably did this a half a dozen times, just for fun.

So this huge bearded angry guy really starts to hate me.

Anyways, I snuck up on him one day when he was checking people out, and I threw a paint roller (the 9 inch cylinder you slide on the roller) at his head. I figured it was light enough it would cause no harm.

I nailed him perfectly right in the head, from 20 feet away. Everyone was laughing, even the guys in line.

He fired me that day. I guess I was looking to get fired, though.

But I did last 6 months there, and I learned a lot.

This story is certainly not "Bravo worthy," but it happened.

spank
You had me worried there for a minute, Spank. I thought you were going to say the bastard set off a suicide bomb, and that's how you got those disfigured calf muscles...

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Glad to hear things worked out for you Rory. I wish I could get laid off. It's better than the $221 paycheck I got this week followed by only 2 days of work scheduled for this week. I can't even afford to play golf on the weekends now, have to wait for the weekday rates. I'm going to have to start playing 2fast for money. lol.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Back in the 80's, I was CFO for a small oil company. Oil prices took a nosedive and I had to let some people go. Since I didn't want to stay there & scratch for nickels to run the company, I laid myself off, and negotiated a nice severance package with myself - 6 months salary & I got to keep the car.:laugh:

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
An Aunt of mine worked for the Rover Car Plant in Britain. She'd been with them 25 years having started on the floor and worked her way into a managerial position. She got called in 1 day to be told that she was to select 7 people to be made redundant. This caused her undue grief as she had worked with many of them over the years. When asked later in the week if she had selected the 7 people, she told them that she hadn't for the aforementioned reason. The director then told her he would make it easier for her " put your own name on the list and select another 6 " ... big business huh ?

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
it happened to me just under 5 yrs. ago.

got an e-mail stating that i was laid off(this was 2 months after getting hired)but that i would receive a full weeks pay.the next day i get back from the golf course and theres a message ton call the VP.he told me they had made a mistake and that i should show up for work the next day and that as long as they had a contract i had a job.

glad they called you back before you had to stew over it the whole weekend.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
Sorry to hear that - but I'm not going to lie and tell you that I was as worried about your job as much as I was about losing my current shaft deal with you!

Really though, glad to hear it didn't last.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.