• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I just can't win!

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
I've been playing for 22 years and in all that time I can tell you exactly how many rounds I've had where everything clicked................... once!

Generally, as I suppose it would be with most amateurs, either my short game or my ball striking lets me down and one some dark days, both do. I've been striking the ball better, straighter and more consistently this year than ever before but my scores are going up because my putting is terrible, around 40 putts a round for the last 4 rounds! On days when I've won competitions it has always been because I get up and down from around the green, but as soon as I start hitting GIR's I start making bogeys and sometimes worse!

I'm getting rather annoyed by it and I'm considering forsaking my Ping B60 that I've had in my bag for 10 years or so. It's been going on for so long now that I think it has become a bit of a psychological issue, so maybe a new putter will give me confidence.

Rant over now, I feel a little better as a result but if you could recommend putters that are the easiest to line up I'd be grateful

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Get a SeeMore. Lines up perfect, and the RST makes sure you have the putter square at address taking out the possibility of skewing the line.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Are you missing a lot of 2' to 6' putts? For years those lengths were the bane of my existence. Earlier this year I was watching the Champions Tour and noted how a number of those guys use the claw grip. Since I'm old and fat too, I thought I would give it a try. I switched to the claw, and after a little practice I started putting much better. It keeps me from strangling the putter in fear over shorter putts and eliminates the yippy type pull stokes I put on the ball. I grip the putter much more softly. This has also helped from distance. I am making a lot more short and mid-range putts, I haven't made less than two birdies in a round in a couple months, and have virtually eliminated three putting. I still use a conventional reverse overlap on really long putts.

Something to think about. Of course, it's always a blast to buy a new putter.

And a hand gun. LOL.

Kevin

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Are you missing a lot of 2' to 6' putts? ..

Kevin

There's no putt I can't miss. I especially detest long putts, I'd much rather be chipping from the same distance as I at least occassionally hole a chip shot or two, hence me preferring to be just off the green than just on it. I must be abnormal.:D

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
There's no putt I can't miss. I especially detest long putts, I'd much rather be chipping from the same distance as I at least occassionally hole a chip shot or two, hence me preferring to be just off the green than just on it. I must be abnormal.:D
I was(and still to some degree am) that way. If i am >30ft away on the green, i could probably take an unplayable, drop my ball on the fringe, and get down in less strokes than trying to putt from that distance.

295yards

May 5, 2009
I've been playing for 22 years and in all that time I can tell you exactly how many rounds I've had where everything clicked................... once!

Generally, as I suppose it would be with most amateurs, either my short game or my ball striking lets me down and one some dark days, both do. I've been striking the ball better, straighter and more consistently this year than ever before but my scores are going up because my putting is terrible, around 40 putts a round for the last 4 rounds! On days when I've won competitions it has always been because I get up and down from around the green, but as soon as I start hitting GIR's I start making bogeys and sometimes worse!

I'm getting rather annoyed by it and I'm considering forsaking my Ping B60 that I've had in my bag for 10 years or so. It's been going on for so long now that I think it has become a bit of a psychological issue, so maybe a new putter will give me confidence.

Rant over now, I feel a little better as a result but if you could recommend putters that are the easiest to line up I'd be grateful

Maybe you can ask your 'friend" for some putting tips? :emot-ange

Kidding. The best players in the world say the game is played on "mishits" and that is is a rare ocaasion any shot is hit perfect let alone every part of the game.

That being said, a new shiny putter can bring about a new confidence.

🔥 Latest posts