• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I was given a very cool B-day present

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
My "little sister" is going to fly me to L.A. (where she lives) make a little drive to Carlsbad, and then I get to spend a couple hours here..

Has anyone here ever done something like this? I've just got new clubs a couple of years ago, so I'm not in the market..but I think it will be VERY cool to see my swing in the format they provide.

Do I bring my own clubs? So if mine arent quite right for me they can tell me what needs to be done? Mine are Taylormades, so that's a plus (Taylormade facility, it seems).

If someone here has done something like this, did you learn anything about your swing? Did they give you any type of lesson, or is it strictly a club fitting type deal?

No matter what, I'm excited to give this a go, but would like to get some info from someone thats done something like this before so I can get the most out of my present.

Edit: In perusing the website, looks like I should defo bring my own clubs....hopefully any alterations will be included, or cheap.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Wow, that is an incredible gift! That will be a very cool experience. You definitely need to take your own clubs, unless you are prepared to purchase an entire new set. Your clubs will give you a baseline, and they will make suggestions on what you can change equipment-wise to better your game. All the fittings I have had usually include a tip or two swing wise. Most of the bad numbers you produce will be because of your swing. The guy running it is an equipment pro, but is probably a teacher as well. You almost need it all to understand how everything works together to produce the desired effects. My advice is to listen up, take heed, have fun!

OP
thekid65

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
I'm really jacked about this..another decision I have to make is to do it soon (as the golf season is winding down here in I-dee-ho)...or wait till late next spring, so I can get a full season out of what I learn, or if any alterations need to be made.

Think I'm gonna wait till Spring, as by then I'll be damned sick and tired of winter. But I wanna do it now!!!! hahahahhaha

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I've been to golf tech a couple of times, it was well worth the money and helped with my swing a lot.

OP
thekid65

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
$400, according to the website (plus my sister is springing for the airfare to LA (she flys A LOT, so just probably using frequent flyer miles..but still....). She bought the gift for me at a charity auction..so doubtful she was 4 bills out of pocket. Doesnt matter, I'm very grateful!

I emailed the joint, sounds like I should bring all my clubs down there...a lot of the adjustments are done for free (excepts new shafts/grips, ect.) But all bending and the like are covered by the initial fee. Here's the response I got via email to the questions I asked:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Ideally would like you to bring all your clubs so we can test all your clubs against the latest TM products. Also with your questions about alterations its better if you have all your club here for that purpose.

1) Yes we can alter you current clubs to make the potentially perform better

2) Some alterations potentially could be done on the spot but we would prefer to send them to TM to be done. This will take 2-3 days. We can ship them to you in boise for a minimal fee which will take a further 2-3 days.

3) Lie and loft alterations are free but new grips and shafts will be charged

4) We can give you all the information so you can have them done anywhere however some places will not bend clubs as they dont want to be liable for any breakage. TM if they do break them will replace them with the latest club but breakages never happen.

5) We fit Tuesday - Saturday. TM are closed on the weekends, so if you wanted them done before you left, I would book on a Tuesday so they could be sent to LA for that Thursday or Friday.

6) We could ship the clubs back very easily and the bag also but it would be at your cost. Usually $30 - $40

Hope this helps

To make an appointment you can reply to this email or call 760 603 9880

Thanks

Tom Fisher
Head Professional TMPL

I hope I don't go down there and get a hard sell for new clubs, I'm simply not in the market. I just wanna see my swing on that cool analysis, and have adjustments made to my existing clubs if necessary. I'm somewhat weary of the hard sell though...I don't know anything about Aviara Golf Club (Arnold Palmer course design)..but if it's in San Diego (Carlsbad)..I'm sure it's somewhat swanky and probably caters to members that can afford a new set of clubs every other year.

Anybody here familiar with the course, or club?

Edit: Would have been VERY cool if they would toss in a free round, eh? $215/round on weekdays
amockforums.net_images_smilies_greensmilies_smiley_emoticons_shocked.gif

I've never spent more than $75 for greens fees (God Bless Idaho, and reasonable green fee rates). I just don't know if I could enjoy myself dropping over 2 bills for a round of golf...however, I'm pondering doing just that.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
You have a cool sister. That's a great gift.

It would be really cool if they offer some instruction after analyzing and reviewing your swing...instead of just trying to sell you equipment to negate your mistakes.

OP
thekid65

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
You have a cool sister. That's a great gift.

It would be really cool if they offer some instruction after analyzing and reviewing your swing...instead of just trying to sell you equipment to negate your mistakes.

That's what I'm really hoping for...an analysis...and if necessary, some existing club adjustments. My wife bought me these clubs as a gift a couple of years ago....after I got them, I went back to Golf Galaxy for the "free adjustments". Basically spent 5-10 minutes hitting balls into a screen. Dude said that perhaps I should have my angle bent 1 degree...but to play them a bit more to see how things go, before making any changes.

This gift from my Sis seems to be a lot more in depth (2 hours)...so I'm hoping to learn a lot. I'm not expecting a lesson, that's for sure..but I'll be happy with any pointers I can receive.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.