• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ideas?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Rec'd a nice gift card for my retirement. The comment was, "Now you can buy a new set of clubs." Well, I don't need a new set of clubs. Pretty happy, overall, with what I have. And, a few backups in the basement.
The past years with this firm have been a great ride. So, I would like to at least get something golf related as a "souvenir". I had two thoughts. First, I considered a new cart bag with my name on it. The problem with that is the immediate thought from others on the course that "He's a d**k. So full of himself he even had his name put on his bag." If I were a pro instead of a worn out weekend hacker, perhaps. Just can't convince myself that's the way to go.
The other thought was to get a really nice putter and have it engraved with something related to retirement date, the firm, etc. Was thinking a nice Cameron, Bettinardi, etc. Don't see a Betti that really catches my eye. A few of the Camerons are possible options. The local shop has a couple of the Dual Balance Camerons on sale. They feel really good on the carpeted area. Will they perform on the course? The putter idea would be to trade off my Odysseys on the new putter... and swear to stick with it win or lose.

After visiting with the wife, have decided to set a limit of $500 on the "souvenir". My bride made significant sacrifices having me out on the road the past 15 years. I want her to "share" in the rewards of the gift card just as she shared in the sacrifices made.

If you had $500 to spend on something golf related that you would hold on to as a keepsake, what would it be? If it were a club or clubs, one could even hang it on the wall if it "quit working". What other ideas are out there???

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Rec'd a nice gift card for my retirement. The comment was, "Now you can buy a new set of clubs." Well, I don't need a new set of clubs. Pretty happy, overall, with what I have. And, a few backups in the basement.
The past years with this firm have been a great ride. So, I would like to at least get something golf related as a "souvenir". I had two thoughts. First, I considered a new cart bag with my name on it. The problem with that is the immediate thought from others on the course that "He's a d**k. So full of himself he even had his name put on his bag." If I were a pro instead of a worn out weekend hacker, perhaps. Just can't convince myself that's the way to go.
The other thought was to get a really nice putter and have it engraved with something related to retirement date, the firm, etc. Was thinking a nice Cameron, Bettinardi, etc. Don't see a Betti that really catches my eye. A few of the Camerons are possible options. The local shop has a couple of the Dual Balance Camerons on sale. They feel really good on the carpeted area. Will they perform on the course? The putter idea would be to trade off my Odysseys on the new putter... and swear to stick with it win or lose.

After visiting with the wife, have decided to set a limit of $500 on the "souvenir". My bride made significant sacrifices having me out on the road the past 15 years. I want her to "share" in the rewards of the gift card just as she shared in the sacrifices made.

If you had $500 to spend on something golf related that you would hold on to as a keepsake, what would it be? If it were a club or clubs, one could even hang it on the wall if it "quit working". What other ideas are out there???

Placing your name on your golf bag makes good sense at your age. Often times I have to remind papaD who he is. If he had his name on his golf bag... Just Sayin...

I like the idea of a nice putter. I rarely change those out. Edel...

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Get the bag. You are a dick. ;)

I like the bag better than a putter. Putter will wind up not getting used because it affects your score. The bag you can use when you want without regard to score.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Placing your name on your golf bag makes good sense at your age. Often times I have to remind papaD who he is. If he had his name on his golf bag... Just Sayin...
If there were only a "dislike" available to click on!!! :D:D

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country

I like the idea of a nice putter. I rarely change those out. Edel...
The amazing thing is that evidently you read that entire LONG post and were still awake enough to post a reply. Most would have dozed off half way through!!!:)

one_chip_short

Misplaced Texan
Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2017
Glendale, Az
Country
I got a custom made Edel putter and fitting ... I will probably keep forever (It's got my name stamped into)

Not for everyone, but it's all I can come up with. As I get older holding onto things makes less sense to me.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
The amazing thing is that evidently you read that entire LONG post and were still awake enough to post a reply. Most would have dozed off half way through!!!:)
I read all your posts, limpy...word for word. They're so insightful and fascinating! One day, I hope to be the orator you are. I know I never will be, but a guy can dream...

Thought you'd enjoy handling a little [emoji90]since you're retired now. ;)

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008

I have become quite adept at skimming your posts and picking out key words.

Maybe you could teach an online essay writing class to stay busy in your retirement.:D

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Subsonic: Snaps fingers and waves hand in front of papaDs face.
papaD: Snaps out of CRS coma. City Wok is that you?
Subsonic: yes papaD. Now hit the ball.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I like both ideas; putter or a new bag. On whichever you decide, I would have either marked with your name, firm and retirement date or length of service. Does your firm have a logo Limp? I would assume, maybe?? That on a new bag with your name would be cool!!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online