• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

If noodle arms are so important...............

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
I dont think "noodle arms" refers to the size of there bicept. I think it means to have a nice relaxed/smooth "noodle like" takeaway and effortless swing. I think the clubs is kinda like a whip.

Fr. Chris.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Noodle refers to no tension in the forearms and wrists. You want your forearms to be tension free, like a cooked noodle. Take a club in your hands and grip it really tight. Notice how little you can cock your wrists. Now grip is softly and see the difference. A lighter grip allows for optimal wrist cock, and brings all the smalls fast twitch muscles into play. This all translates into more club head speed.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
so how do you keep these supposed arms noodley, and use your muscles at the same time? Its either or surely, hitting hard with arms that are pumped up, or noodley arms not using the muscles at max.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Mr. Hogan talks about the grip alot because if you don't have the correct grip you use the wrong muscle's in your arms. He talked about the thumb and fore finger being great for opening doors and such but said they need to rest lightly on the club. This was because they incourage the wrong muscle fibre's to tense during your swing. Grip strongly with your thumb and fore finger of your bottom hand and get on a LM to check your swing speed. Then rest them on lightly and try again and your SS will increase. You see Vijah doing practice swings with his thumb and fore finger off the club completely.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
so how do you keep these supposed arms noodley, and use your muscles at the same time? Its either or surely, hitting hard with arms that are pumped up, or noodley arms not using the muscles at max.

A golf club isnt that heavy where huge muscles are needed. Big muscles and swing speed really dont have that much correlation. Swing speed is about arc, width, and the moment stored energy is released. Look at Sean O'hair, 5'11. 160 pounds, and a 120 mph swing speed. Technique and flexibility go much farther in golf than brute strength as long you arent in 7 inch rough.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
hmm, all good points, so why do all the commentators refer to big forearms, as they did with Casey all weekend, as to the reason he smacks it miles

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
Alright so being able to apply lots of pressure with a relaxed muscle will give you increased distance. Think of it this way. You grip the club with 20% of your possible grip strength whether this is 100psi or 10000psi your ideal is 20% of your total. So people that have the huge forearms are able to apply more pressure while not "trying" to do so. This allows the muscles to still be relaxed through the swing, but also allow them to hold off the release until much later thus generating much more club head speed.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Remember what Mickey Mantle (I think) said about Hogan's grip when he shook hands with him: Bands of steel.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
hmm, all good points, so why do all the commentators refer to big forearms, as they did with Casey all weekend, as to the reason he smacks it miles

did you see Michele Wie's stats this weekend? averaged 291 yards with the driver.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
A golf club isnt that heavy where huge muscles are needed. Big muscles and swing speed really dont have that much correlation. Swing speed is about arc, width, and the moment stored energy is released. Look at Sean O'hair, 5'11. 160 pounds, and a 120 mph swing speed. Technique and flexibility go much farther in golf than brute strength as long you arent in 7 inch rough.

This is a great point. I hear alot of people tell me that I should be able to hit the ball a mile, mainly because I am a big guy- 6'3" and 300 lbs but most people fail to realize that technique will prevail over brute strength on 99% of shots hit.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
My boss thought it would be a good idea to work out like a nut over the winter. He got a ripped but now I hit a 5W by him instead of just a 3W. I, on the other hand, worked on a stretching routine and improving my swing both in pivot and swing arc. So while I think some of it is strength, a lot more of it is technique and flexibility. Think about it, why do older guys hit it shorter than younger guys, flexibility is the only reason. Tiger is shorter than he was when he first turned pro.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
"A golf club isnt that heavy where huge muscles are needed. Big muscles and swing speed really dont have that much correlation"

I agree, yet these guys who hit the ball miles are all the guys pumped up, and EVERY commentator refers to this. What is the truth here?

Interesting point about Hogan Paul. Have you tried to get into his address position, ie both elbows pointing at hips, inner arms pointing to the sky, and the arms as close together as you can? Try doing that position with noodley arms?

How much length does Casey get from those Popeye arms, and how much from technique, and how much from noodley arms?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
did you see Michele Wie's stats this weekend? averaged 291 yards with the driver.

Bingo!
Conditioning is great for stamina but in regards to hitting a golf ball it doesn't mean squat. It's all about the proper technique. Most of the LPGA could out drive me & yet I guarantee I could kick their ass in arm wrestling.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.