• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

If you like WWII Aviation

OP
subsonic

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
The thing that amazes me is the attrition rate. We were literally running out of men at the end of WWII.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Have attended the Heavy Bomber show at the Madison airport the past couple years, very cool going thru some of these planes and reading about and in some cases listening to the history of what they went thru.

Attachments

• IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    278.5 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC08378.JPG
    DSC08378.JPG
    255.9 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC08329.JPG
    DSC08329.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC08336.JPG
    DSC08336.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC08323.JPG
    DSC08323.JPG
    377.1 KB · Views: 63
OP
subsonic

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Cool pics! Thanks for sharing.

It is amazing to me what the guys that flew these planes went through. Tomorrow was never a guarantee.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
My grandfather was a Pvt. With the 82nd airborne, and he was scheduled to invade Japan, but instead the dropped the bomb, I might not be here if it wasn't for good ol Oppenheimer
If you ever get a chance to get to Fayettevill, NC, don't miss visiting the Airborne/Special Operations museum. You can spend most of a day, there. So much history. Makes you really wonder what motivated men to go to war with the primitive aircraft/weapons they had.
Once you finish that museum, see if you can get on Ft. Bragg and visit the 82nd Airborne museum.

In the Special Ops museum, there is a glider from WWII. These are LITTLE aircraft with no motor or power source. One or two soldiers could be "sardined" into these and towed behind a regular aircraft. The glider would be released and would silently fly over and land behind enemy lines. Once released, there was no stopping. That had to be one frightening ride.

OP
subsonic

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Translation: Army museums are cool. Glider infantry was tough.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Wife's uncle flew a B17 bomber during WWII. On what was supposed to be one of their last missions, they tried to land in a fog and hit a high line. We have "inherited" a foot locker that was sent home which has a couple of his hats and a few momentos. We also have his coffin flag. My wife is the oldest of the neices and nephews. We'll probably pass it on down to our son, once he's retired from the Army.

"Uncle Harry" was engaged to Gertie when he left with the Army Air Corps. He sent her a bottle of French perfume that arrived after the news of his death. Gertie later married another young man in the area and they remained married for over 60 years. Gertie passed about 2 1/2 years ago. When she became quite ill, she told one of her sons that she still had the bottle of perfume... unopened. She wanted it put in her coffin. "I'll see Harry again, soon, and want to show him I've kept the perfume as a memory of him."

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.