• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I'm either getting too old for this game or......

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Since the first of the year I've lost 15 lbs. Needed to. Didn't have the motivation to do so. Started this 4 mile/day walk with the dog and it has whittle away at the pounds.
Along with losing quite a bit of weight, I've had both hands operated on for carpal tunnel and had the one wrist sprained. The wrist sprain still has some residual pain.

With all that, I have lost significant distance throughout the entire range of clubs. This morning, I caught a pitching wedge clean, thinking it would be way over the green on a 90 yard pitch shot. The ball came up 5 yards short of the green. My drives are short. I don't have a club in the bag I can hit off the fairway 200 yards anymore. And, it just seems like this has occurred this Spring.

I can still score, thanks to chipping and putting. This morning, I chipped in from off the green for two pars. There was a day, those would have been for birdie.

Going to go away for the long Memorial Day weekend and leave the clubs behind. Once back, I plan to start working on hand/arm strengthening exercises. I've got to get some distance back or won't be able to keep up with the really old guys!!!!!!

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Since the first of the year I've lost 15 lbs. Needed to. Didn't have the motivation to do so. Started this 4 mile/day walk with the dog and it has whittle away at the pounds.
Along with losing quite a bit of weight, I've had both hands operated on for carpal tunnel and had the one wrist sprained. The wrist sprain still has some residual pain.

With all that, I have lost significant distance throughout the entire range of clubs. This morning, I caught a pitching wedge clean, thinking it would be way over the green on a 90 yard pitch shot. The ball came up 5 yards short of the green. My drives are short. I don't have a club in the bag I can hit off the fairway 200 yards anymore. And, it just seems like this has occurred this Spring.

I can still score, thanks to chipping and putting. This morning, I chipped in from off the green for two pars. There was a day, those would have been for birdie.

Going to go away for the long Memorial Day weekend and leave the clubs behind. Once back, I plan to start working on hand/arm strengthening exercises. I've got to get some distance back or won't be able to keep up with the really old guys!!!!!!
You play a f#ck ton of golf, could it simply be fatigue?

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
You play a f#ck ton of golf, could it simply be fatigue?
Yesterday, I played 18. Got home and immediately took dog on 4 mile walk. Back home, got out the mower and mowed. Wanted to try to get it mowed between rains. Takes about 45 minutes to mow with the walk behind mower. Why would I be fatigued???:)

I've tried to stay active. If I get tired and sit down, the end is near. I take a host of vitamins each morning. Haven't had even a common cold for the past 3 years. I'm used to working outside and doing physical labor. But....

You might have a point. Most of our guys we play with during the week, take weekends off. The crew we play with on weekends works during the week and doesn't play. Often, I'll play 15 to 20 days in a row.

Maybe I'll just take two weeks off... and they quit!!!!!:D:D

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Yesterday, I played 18. Got home and immediately took dog on 4 mile walk. Back home, got out the mower and mowed. Wanted to try to get it mowed between rains. Takes about 45 minutes to mow with the walk behind mower. Why would I be fatigued???:)

I've tried to stay active. If I get tired and sit down, the end is near. I take a host of vitamins each morning. Haven't had even a common cold for the past 3 years. I'm used to working outside and doing physical labor. But....

You might have a point. Most of our guys we play with during the week, take weekends off. The crew we play with on weekends works during the week and doesn't play. Often, I'll play 15 to 20 days in a row.

Hand/arm strength will only help a little. You want to hit it further, work on your core and leg muscles, assuming you have a somewhat normal swing.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country

Don't quit sissy...just take some time and regroup. Damn...always gotta explain sh!t to old folks ;)

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Take lot's of naps limp. If you even feel a little tired your body is telling you it needs a nap. Naps give your body time to heal all the old man aches and pains and it works for me. It also has other benefits like getting you out of honey do's and home owner responsibility.

Oh yeah, then you need a new set of Pings with the stronger lofts (worked for me), a used TEE CB5 3-wood, and maybe a new driver. It's not your fault it's the clubs. I thought you always knew that.

Last edited:

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Once back, I plan to start working on hand/arm strengthening exercises.

Limp! You put all of us to shame. You are more active than probably 90% of us here and you're a Septuagenarian! I'd worry less about the distance and more about the short game. Sounds like your putter has been your Achilles heel of late, and preventing you from dipping under the 80 barrier.

Timing is a big thing, not strength. If timing is out, even slightly you will kill your clubhead speed and thus distance. That's why it may feel like you hit your wedge well but it came up short. Felt good off the face but hitting it with less speed.

And don't underestimate your flexibility too. Try signing up to a Pilates class, it's great for stretching those muscles and building core strength. I'll bet a 'looser' Limp will gain 20 yards in no time.

For goodness sake don't give up. You are keeping us fit just by reading your posts.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Timing is a big thing, not strength. If timing is out, even slightly you will kill your clubhead speed and thus distance. That's why it may feel like you hit your wedge well but it came up short. Felt good off the face but hitting it with less speed.
Bingo. Although carpal surgery may play a part in it because he is guarding against injury (maybe even subconsciously) which could mess with his power. But yeah, rhythm and tempo play huge roles in distance.

VA Park Ranger

Supporting Member
Feb 8, 2014
Green Bay Virginia
Country
Hang in there my friend, keep at it, if you gave it up, you would be miserable with all the free time on your hands. Do you walk or ride?

🔥 Latest posts