• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I'm now "tied in"

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Payed Petrifying Springs golf course for a "gold" season pass today. Unlimited golf with cart for the year. So I won't be going all over the place, just there. Hope nututhugame and others don't mind playing with me there. All the time.

Kenosha County - Petrifying Springs

I did it to save money and hopefully it works. Now I can golf every day ... multiple times a day all year long and not pay a dime. And I get four complimentary passes with cart to Brightondale which has two 18's and a 9.

Life is good.

What's your take on playing one course most of the time?

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Its pretty much the done thing by any serious golfer in Aus. Yeah, you may get around and play a few other courses here and there but I'd say the average golfer plays around 80-85% of their golf on the course they are a paid member of.

Personally, it can get boring quick but with fuel prices and even green fee prices going through the roof these days how can anyone afford to play a different track every week unless they're on $75,000 a year plus??? Plus it gives you a chance to find the "good members" in your club and play with them as often as you can...

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
I've been a member one place or another for about 12 years. Can't imagine not being one.

Kevin

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I used to belong to a country club, and I can honestly say that I got my money's worth out of it. I played multiple times a week. I even went out and played true practice rounds where I would just work on hitting a specific shot all day say the 110 yd wedge into a green. Just drive out to the fairway 110 out and drop two to three balls and hit in from there. I found I did more to try working on my game in new ways when I was a member than when I had to pay for each individual round. I will do it again as soon as it is in the budget. My advice is to try different things, and play at odd times if you can which limit the number of people on the course. That is what I did to keep it from being boring to play over and over again. hehe.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Step 1: WBL joins club.
Step 2: WBL buys new driver... and another new driver... and another new driver....:thumbs up:

Interesting. We have company in from Minnesota, this weekend. Were just discussing, last evening, the issue of belonging to a specific club. The wife's cousin has recently retired and is looking at joining a small course close to where they live. He's reluctant to do so and "have" to play at the same course all the time. Here's my take...
I used to enjoy playing lots of different venues. When we lived in the KC area, I probably walked on to a couple dozen different courses. But, I never had a "group" of regulars. 5 to 7 years ago, I paid memberships to 2 different courses. I'd play one during the week and the other on weekends. My work began taking me out of town and I had to make a decision on which course to remain 'married' to. So, I chose the course where I had a "group" to play with.
Over the past few years, golf had developed into more of a social event than a sporting event. Our "group" has lots of fun and, isn't that what it's all about? We talk trash. We tell old jokes. We even get together as couples, now and then, to celebrate a special birthday or other family event. This year, we had another of our group return. He had migrated to the upscale course in the area due to his employement providing a free membership there. Three years later, he says it was impossible to find anyone that really was "fun" to play with. He says he almost had to force himself to play and never knew who he would be paired with. He's gladly paying for a membership at our course... just for the "group".
I have a brother-in-law that lives 30 miles away. He belongs to a small town club. Constantly complains about how that club is managed. When I tell him to leave it behind and move his membership up here, it comes down to his "group" he's played with the past 15 years. He'll put up with course issues to retain the social aspect of his "beer drinkin'" buddies.
Find a group of folks, at your course, that you enjoy playing the game with. Turn it into something that you hate to miss, merely because you might not hear the latest local gossip or the latest political joke. That's when belonging to a single club becomes "worth it" and you won't regret not playing multiple venues.
p.s. We will watch for internet coupons, etc. from other courses in the area. Every so often, our course does have a weekend tourney that 'blocks' us out for either Saturday or Sunday. We'll try to always have something laying around that will get us on another course at discounted rates when that happens. One or two of those a season satisfies the urge to play other courses.

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
Every year I purchase a "2 course pass" for $371 (after taxes). The two courses are polar opposites..one is rather long and flat, the other is short and elevated, with very tricky greens. My $371 gets me $7 rounds anytime Mon-Thurs, and 1/2 price rounds after noon on Fri-Sun. It easily pays for itself, plus it's nice not to feel chained to only one course.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
I belong every year to the same course..................never feel "tied down". There are 3 nines, and they switch them around for the 18. Plus we have 6 "reciprical" courses with the membership, that we can play for $20 (18 with a cart) any time we want. Plus I have my regular group of really great guys that make every round a blast...........usually throw in a little gambling. Play in some scrambles over the summer too. Life is good. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing with different people, and I do that often. Now all it has to do is stop SNOWING on April 16th, and maybe raise the temperature up from 40º. Wisconsin...........

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I play half a dozen courses on a regular basis because they are all close to me. I could not play the same one every single day, would bore me to tears.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Sure, we're on the same course every day, but when you SUCK, you're in a different spot on every shot on that same course. It's always a new shot in, so never gets boring.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I did not like that it was financially restrictive for my friends to play with me. Where I was, it was $55 a round to play as a guest. So this year I bailed on the membership and will play wherever my friends are also playing. Working as much as I am now I could not make use of a membership either, even at good junior rates.

I did it for the people!

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I took 2 years off from joining a club after my 2nd was born. I played sparingly. I joiined a club this year, although it's a different one, and I don't know any of the members. I joined there because the pro is great, they'll let my kid play for free, and the greens are super fast and firm.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Well, sssmokin and I really screwed up! By paying our yearly dues and being ready to golf at the spur of the moment the golf god's are punishing us. It's snowing! :mad:

We must have 2" on the ground and it's still snowing.... :1898_::faintthud:

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
It's snowing! :mad:

We must have 2" on the ground and it's still snowing.... :1898_::faintthud:

We're sooooooooooo close to spring here (pretty much hitting 50 every afternoon)...I think I'd probably start shedding tears if that happened here.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.