• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

In this day and age...

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
US teenager who won golf competition denied trophy because she is a girl

"...because of a Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association rule that stipulates girls can play as part of a team but not win as individuals."

upload_2017-10-27_8-41-22.jpeg

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
This entire subject can be argued until the cows come home. On one hand, I must certainly agree with the one comment that the rule sounds more like 1917 than 2017... on the surface. OTOH, let's let this young lady enter the boys competition, win it, and collect the trophy/trip to State Tournament. If they have a girls division... it sounds like they must have girls golf team competition... what if one of those team had a boy as a team member? If the boy on the team shot a low score and the team won, should they still be allowed to move forward? If girls are allowed to compete in the boys division, should boys be allowed in the girls division?

We're having a similar issue at our home course. Tuesday morning is "Ladies Day". They meet about 9 a.m. Then they shotgun off both front and back. We're talking about maybe two foursomes at most off each tee. This year, it has been as low as one four off each tee. We've been making the turn many times and had to wait on the ladies going off the back. There have been some issues with ladies turning off the back onto the front and telling guys with tee times that they have the right-of-way since it's "Ladies Day". If we would name a day as "Men's Day" we'd catch flak from all sides. I am really pushing for the Board to demand the ladies can have their day if they block out some tee times off the first tee and follow each other just as any other group would be treated.

The young lady in the OP played her heart out. She has a great talent and is playing a game she can enjoy the rest of her life. For the Massachusetts issue, they simply need to have a girl's singles division to compliment the boy's singles division. The young lady would be able to play her individual game and excel.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
This entire subject can be argued until the cows come home. On one hand, I must certainly agree with the one comment that the rule sounds more like 1917 than 2017... on the surface. OTOH, let's let this young lady enter the boys competition, win it, and collect the trophy/trip to State Tournament. If they have a girls division... it sounds like they must have girls golf team competition... what if one of those team had a boy as a team member? If the boy on the team shot a low score and the team won, should they still be allowed to move forward? If girls are allowed to compete in the boys division, should boys be allowed in the girls division?

We're having a similar issue at our home course. Tuesday morning is "Ladies Day". They meet about 9 a.m. Then they shotgun off both front and back. We're talking about maybe two foursomes at most off each tee. This year, it has been as low as one four off each tee. We've been making the turn many times and had to wait on the ladies going off the back. There have been some issues with ladies turning off the back onto the front and telling guys with tee times that they have the right-of-way since it's "Ladies Day". If we would name a day as "Men's Day" we'd catch flak from all sides. I am really pushing for the Board to demand the ladies can have their day if they block out some tee times off the first tee and follow each other just as any other group would be treated.

The young lady in the OP played her heart out. She has a great talent and is playing a game she can enjoy the rest of her life. For the Massachusetts issue, they simply need to have a girl's singles division to compliment the boy's singles division. The young lady would be able to play her individual game and excel.

But they don't. She won. Should be able to take home the hardware.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
But they don't. She won. Should be able to take home the hardware.
Oh, I agree. In this specific case, she should be able to at least take the trophy home. Once the current rules were explained, I could see her not being able to compete in the next tournament. My point is that the regulatory authority needs to move to provide a similar opportunity for the girls as the boy have. A competition for individual girls needs immediately arranged. Of course in today's social environment, even that will soon be muddied as "transition politics" continue to enter the discussion.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Oh, I agree. In this specific case, she should be able to at least take the trophy home. Once the current rules were explained, I could see her not being able to compete in the next tournament. My point is that the regulatory authority needs to move to provide a similar opportunity for the girls as the boy have. A competition for individual girls needs immediately arranged. Of course in today's social environment, even that will soon be muddied as "transition politics" continue to enter the discussion.

Agreed

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
People are starving and this is a hot button topic.
Yeah yeah, there's always something worse in the world... I posted this one because it's about golf.

My HS couldn't field a whole girls team, in fact we only had one girl on the "boys" team and that was in my senior year. We went to state that year and she came with us because she was good enough to be on the team and compete at that level. That is what happened here, she couldn't play on the girls team because there was no girls team.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Yeah yeah, there's always something worse in the world... I posted this one because it's about golf.

My HS couldn't field a whole girls team, in fact we only had one girl on the "boys" team and that was in my senior year. We went to state that year and she came with us because she was good enough to be on the team and compete at that level. That is what happened here, she couldn't play on the girls team because there was no girls team.
^^^this

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008

Thank you so much for sharing.

FTFR I agree. If you play in the tournament and win. Get the damn trophy.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008

Limp_ Tuck that B1tch and play on Ladies day. Tell them that is how you are identifying that particular day as a lady who wants to play golf.

🔥 Latest posts