• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Insomnia

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
So I've really been struggling with sleep. It's been effecting my work, school, family time and health. Because of all the medication I've been on I've had to take sleep aids to help me sleep. But now they im off the meds that keep me up I still can't sleep. I take melatonin, xanax and a tylenol pm but I still toss and turn at night. No matter how tired my body is, my mind still races all night. Anyone have/had issues with sleep and nothing seems to work? I really don't want to go to my doctor for even more meds if I don't have to. Any suggestions?

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
sorry to hear bout your trouble sleeping Queball, have you tried counting sheep?? :D

it is now 11:55 am here by me - and i'm bored out of my mind currently.....:oops:

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
If you've got a lot of stress on you, that'll keep you up thinking about it. When you go to bed, you gotta find a way to clear your head of all the worries of the day. Think only about good stuff. Focusing on the positives will make you relax more, which will help you to sleep.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Have you tried booze?

But seriously, that sucks. I've been blessed with the ability to go to sleep within seconds of hitting the pillow. I have no suggestions for you...as I haven't lived it, but I know a lot of people that seem to have the same problem.

My suggestions(knowing full well that I don't know what it feels like to not be able to sleep) is to get off all of the medications. If you don't need them to live, don't take them. Let your body get back to normal and not be dependent on chemicals. Also, get lifting if you don't already. Get those endorphins flowing. I would also say to reduce stress...but that's not always possible...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Be really careful of the "sleep aid" drugs. We've had two acquaintances who have committed suicide while on them.

I'm just backwards of those who fight insomnia. When I hit the bed, it's lights out. I've lived in so many hotels that nothing keeps me awake. Spent 650 nights in a truck stop motel where there were trucks w/jake brakes spinning down all night. Another hotel was next to a railroad track. My wife worries, when I'm home, since I sleep so sound. Come 3:30 or 4 a.m. I'm fully awake and can't go back to sleep. Force myself to stay up until 10:30 or 11:00... still awake by 4 a.m. Go to bed at 9:00... awake at 4 a.m. or before.

My wife used to suffer from migraines and insomnia. After her hysterectomy, both disappeared. Maybe you should.............:D:D

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I have a hard time getting to sleep too, Que. If I go to bed before midnight it's a miracle. Then I'm tired all day and I feel like I could go to sleep at any second but then when it gets dark, I'm wide awake again. I've been like that since I was a kid. It's just the norm for me. I kind of enjoy my alone time at night after the wife and kids go to sleep. I do most of my woodworking, club building/refinishing, reading and gaming during the night. It's the only free time that I have. So I embrace the fact that I'm a night owl. If it's a must that I go to sleep, I'll just load up on sleeping pills. So yeah, most people would call it an inconvenience but I enjoy my sleepless nights.

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Have you tried booze?

But seriously, that sucks. I've been blessed with the ability to go to sleep within seconds of hitting the pillow. I have no suggestions for you...as I haven't lived it, but I know a lot of people that seem to have the same problem.

My suggestions(knowing full well that I don't know what it feels like to not be able to sleep) is to get off all of the medications. If you don't need them to live, don't take them. Let your body get back to normal and not be dependent on chemicals. Also, get lifting if you don't already. Get those endorphins flowing. I would also say to reduce stress...but that's not always possible...
I need to start working out again. Haven't had the time and my meds make it so hard to sustain a workout routine. Unfortunately yes, I do need the meds for my autoimmune disease which shuts down my kidneys.

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
I have a hard time getting to sleep too, Que. If I go to bed before midnight it's a miracle. Then I'm tired all day and I feel like I could go to sleep at any second but then when it gets dark, I'm wide awake again. I've been like that since I was a kid. It's just the norm for me. I kind of enjoy my alone time at night after the wife and kids go to sleep. I do most of my woodworking, club building/refinishing, reading and gaming during the night. It's the only free time that I have. So I embrace the fact that I'm a night owl. If it's a must that I go to sleep, I'll just load up on sleeping pills. So yeah, most people would call it an inconvenience but I enjoy my sleepless nights.
It comes in handy sometimes so I can stay up and study all night.(I can contribute my 3.8 gpa to it) but when I need to get up early and have a long day ahead I'm going off like an hour of sleep. Most healthy people can adjust but with my medical condition it takes a serious toll on me

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Be really careful of the "sleep aid" drugs. We've had two acquaintances who have committed suicide while on them.

I'm just backwards of those who fight insomnia. When I hit the bed, it's lights out. I've lived in so many hotels that nothing keeps me awake. Spent 650 nights in a truck stop motel where there were trucks w/jake brakes spinning down all night. Another hotel was next to a railroad track. My wife worries, when I'm home, since I sleep so sound. Come 3:30 or 4 a.m. I'm fully awake and can't go back to sleep. Force myself to stay up until 10:30 or 11:00... still awake by 4 a.m. Go to bed at 9:00... awake at 4 a.m. or before.

My wife used to suffer from migraines and insomnia. After her hysterectomy, both disappeared. Maybe you should.............:D:D
Well im getting a vasectomy so there ya go! But even the other day I didn't get any sleep then went to.work thought I defiantly would sleep that next night...nope.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.