• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

iPhone GPS?

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Is anyone using any iPhone GPS apps?

I tried one today for the first time today...Golf Logix 24 hour trial on a pretty popular course out here (Point Roberts, just across the border in WA). I'm glad it was the free trial because I was pretty unimpressed. #1 problem was the par values were all f'd up...to the point where it was ridiculous - 564 yard par 3? 221 yard par 5? (I wish!) The order of the holes hasn't changed recently, so no explanation for this error. It made it hard to know if you were on the right hole and whether the hazards were right...not cool.

Other annoying things - explain to me how to end a round. Show me a scorecard that shows my putts on each hole, instead of just how many 3 putts, 2 putts, 1 putts, etc. Give me the ability to set my target from the aerial view. Distinguish sand saves from chips/scrambling. There's more, but those are what come to mind. Allow for the fact that sometimes you can miss a fairway/green by going long or short (not just left or right).

So...anyone use anything else? Have also been looking at Airvue (only $10) and Golfshot ($30). I've heard about some annoying features in Golfshot like that it downloads every course in your area, not just the ones you want (so I might get every course in BC rather than just the ones that I play) and then you only get aerial images on course because their license doesn't allow for caching the images (super suckage if you want to travel and have to deal with data plan issues).

Any thoughts or recommendations?

buffyscrubs

Jan 18, 2010
no never heard the iphone gps before
i bought the :diespam: :unhappy: yesterday and if i use the gps i think it's perfect

OP
S

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Here I was excited that someone had replied...and it wasn't even good spam! Man...so disappointing...

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Sorry Silver, I haven't even tried a 3GS Iphone with GPS (just my standard 3G), so I can't help you in any possible way....

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Nope. THe digital compass application for the direct GPS comes with the 3GS

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Wow - it's a Silver sighting. That's even more rare than a VTDivot or Eracer sighting...

How are ya man??? Are you going to check out any of the Olympics??

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia

I thought it came with the 3.0 software..... Guess not.

Anyway, I've been looking for somewhere to use my GPS too. Unfortunately there is bugger all courses mapped in Australia, but I'm heading to my home course on Saturday and am curious to see whther it will work there. The main app I will be trying will be ViewTi, but I will also try Golfshot GPS. I'll let you know how I get on but by the looks of it ViewTi will be the better one.

OP
S

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004

it does, actually...no compass, but gps - and the golf apps don't care which way you're facing...just how far you are from the target on the hole... Apple - iPhone - Get directions with GPS Maps.

Hey Vt, good man, how are you?? I'm going to a couple of hockey games (Swe v Bel and Fin v Bel)...and maybe a quarterfinal as well. Should be pretty fun.

Lefty, let me know how it goes. My friend uses ViewTi but has commented on some of the shortcomings (don't ask me what they were, I forget offhand). It looks like Golfshot may be the best (check the thread on wrx in the gps section...pretty long which implies more users). tough to know, though.

🔥 Latest posts