• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Iron lofts

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
United States United States
So I recently went to the Mizuno JPX pros and love them but my yardages were all off. Come to find out I was playing some pretty strong lofted clubs. The first column is the actual loft and the second is what I was thinking of bending them to. Has anyone toyed with their lofts at all?

3i 20 21
4i 23 24
5i 26 27
6i 29 31
7i 33 35
8i 37 39
9i 41 43
P 45 47

OP
trumb1mj

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
Also, are the stronger lofts just a marketing ploy? I actually feel like it hurts performance and only marginally helps distance...

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I play Cleveland CG2 circa 2005.

3i 21°
4i 24°
5i 27°
6i 30°
7i 34°
8i 38°
9i 42°
pw 46°
gw 51°
sw 56°

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
If those irons are forged, I wouldn't see a problem bending them. I'm not sure about cast. I do like the weaker lofts though.

Don't forget it will change the bounce on the club too.

OP
trumb1mj

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
I had them built at customer club fitter so I'm hoping they'll be able to grind the bounce accordingly. Also, this should get me some more trackman time :)

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
If they are forged, no reason you couldnt bend them. My question would be will it be worth it? Are these new? Do you really want to mess with the lofts and then grinding bounce and then having them rust up after spending alot of $$? How big of an issue is it? WHy not just dump the 3i, get a gap wedge and pretend each club is one club less than it is (since it kind of is anyway).

I am not against bending them, but those are questions I would be asking myself if I just dropped a bunch of $$ on new clubs.

OP
trumb1mj

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
If they are forged, no reason you couldnt bend them. My question would be will it be worth it? Are these new? Do you really want to mess with the lofts and then grinding bounce and then having them rust up after spending alot of $$? How big of an issue is it? WHy not just dump the 3i, get a gap wedge and pretend each club is one club less than it is (since it kind of is anyway).

I am not against bending them, but those are questions I would be asking myself if I just dropped a bunch of $$ on new clubs.

Yeah, true. They offer this service after the fitting so I'm guessing they'll be able to answer these questions.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Yeah, true. They offer this service after the fitting so I'm guessing they'll be able to answer these questions.
When you say off, what does that mean? To long? Ballooning?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
If the lofts are too strong, why not just drop back a club? If you hit your 8 where you used to hit a 7... so what? My Eye 2+ irons are extremely weak lofted compared to most of today's jacked up lofts. Did I have them bent stronger? Of course not. I may hit 6 when others are hitting 7's or 8's... It's not how, it's how many. I've never seen a scorecard where the specific club you used to get the ball to the hole was recorded.

Cobra started the jacked up loft thing in the late 80's. Egos soared when you could hit a shorter iron than your playing partners. Started the progression where all manufacturers jacked up lofts to compete. Irons are all about knowing exactly how long YOU hit a specific club. No one else cares what number is on the sole of the club.

I'd be much more worried about adding significant bounce to each club by weakening lofts than simply hitting one less club.

EHokie

They Like it When I Wag
Jun 24, 2008
Charlotte, NC
If the lofts are too strong, why not just drop back a club? If you hit your 8 where you used to hit a 7... so what? My Eye 2+ irons are extremely weak lofted compared to most of today's jacked up lofts. Did I have them bent stronger? Of course not. I may hit 6 when others are hitting 7's or 8's... It's not how, it's how many.

Works fine except for the aspect of the length of the clubs, which is gonna change swing plane and impact, divot, etc.

If not for that, we might as well just grind down all our soles and replace 7's with 6's.

This may work for some people, but thinking about just shifting my whole set up to the next iron for each shot wouldn't work for me.

OP
trumb1mj

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
When you say off, what does that mean? To long? Ballooning?

My flight is penetrating and rarely balloons. That might be a worry if I were to add some loft to my irons.

A few reasons for the change though.

a) I'd prefer a PW with more loft to fit in my set a little more seamlessly (47* - 53* is a nice span for my game).
b) 145 yards used to be a strength for me (full 9i). Now my 9i is going 152ish and wedge is 140ish. I am always trying to lay off a 9i or nuke a PW. So in this case the comfort is off a bit for yardages.
c) I would also like to hit my 3-5i with a bit more spin for a higher ball and more control.

I do not have a flawless swing by any means so when my struggles come, these lofts seem meaningless. I would just like a more seamless set for my own confidence I guess.

David Lake

Banned
Banned
May 18, 2010
It is a sad fact in the golf industry that the club manufacturers strengthen the lofts so that consumers will buy into their marketing hype about increased distances. There is no standardization in the golf industry as to loft angles. This means that one manufacturer's #7 iron might be the equivalent to another manufacturer's #6 or #5 iron. Many golf club manufacturers will make their irons with "strong" loft angles in order to give the illusion that their golf clubs produce increased distance. You have heard golfers say it a thousand times: "I can hit this #8 iron a lot farther then my old #8 iron". The fact is that they can't. What they can do is hit an 8 iron with a 35º loft angle farther than an 8 iron with a 39º loft angle.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Iron loft is irrelevant. Iron distances are what count.

The loft or number on the bottom of the club should not correlate to the score you mark on the card. It's how you weild the club that is what should be paid attention to.

Loft creep? Who cares. Your first range session will open your eyes to what distances you are hitting with each club - whether it be a set from the 60's or the new Rocketbladez.

R35

🔥 Latest posts