• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Iron set decision

dunagan15

Aug 17, 2008
Hey guys. I'm currently looking to upgrade my irons. My current handicap 17. Based on this and some research I should be in the market for what the industry deems the good ole game improvement irons ( or hey if I buy new clubs I'll be better, right? ). Anyway the 3 sets I've been looking at are:

TaylorMade RSI TP forged (only ones I've hit, loved them) $400
Mizuno MX 23s $115
Titleist 695CB $175

These are the prices I can get these older sets for
Currently. Price obviously is a always a plus for
Cheaper but ideally I'm looking for something yes improve my game and also be happy with for 5 years. Any insight is great and if there are
Other clubs I need to look into and input is much appreciated.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
You need to consider what shafts you like or are suitable for your game. Talk to a pro / fitter, get some advice. And then hit all three sets if you can. Whatever feels the most comfortable / gives you the most confidence. All of those sets are good clubs and should hold their value.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
You need to consider what shafts you like or are suitable for your game. Talk to a pro / fitter, get some advice. And then hit all three sets if you can. Whatever feels the most comfortable / gives you the most confidence. All of those sets are good clubs and should hold their value.

Agreed. Most iron heads I've hit have performed practically the same (I'm sorry but at my 14HC I can't seem to see a noticeable difference between forged vs cast MOST of the time) but shafts do make a big difference in "feel" and are usually ignored between most non-avid golfers

If price is an issue, maybe check up some Wilson Staff heads. They tend to go cheaper than "bigger brand" heads, and perform well at the same level.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
The idea with this game is to have fun... entertainment. It can be a frustrating game and why make it more so? As the other posters have suggested, the shaft selection is an important part of the decision. My 2 cents...

The TP's are a "players" club. You may have enjoyed hitting them once or twice. Will that satisfaction carry to the course? The shafts are undoubtedly stiff and a heavier grade of steel. They are meant to be able to shape your ball flight. Most of us would rather have a ball that goes fairly straight and NOT be "shaped" as we slightly mishit it.
The 695CB's are pretty, but can also be a little cantankerous. Of the three, they would be my second choice... if the shafts are to my liking.
The MX23's would be my first selection for most 17 'cappers. There is some forgiveness built into the design. Again, what shaft and is that the best choice for you? Any of the three sets (I've not see photos to judge condition) should last you your intended five years. You do know, however, keeping the same set of irons for five years is virtually unheard of on internet golf discussion boards. You will lose your 'ho card if you do that!!!! :D I'd go for the Mizzys or the Tittys. You don't have a significant investment if you want to make a change later. And, either will hold a tad bit of resale/trade in vs. the Taylors.

OP
dunagan15

dunagan15

Aug 17, 2008
Thanks guys. Next process will then be to do some fitting.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
The MX 23's were some of the best irons ever made, and at the time possibly Mizuno's most popular iron ever. I played a set with whatever stock shaft was in them (don't remember) and truly loved them as much as any iron I've ever hit.

I agree with the shaft comments, but my recommendation is to find a nice set of 23's in the flex you play, and use them for 2-6 rounds. See what you think. If you don't like the shafts, replace them. If you don't like the clubs, keep them clean and you'll probably get your money back when you sell them.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
One thought - I would not let your handicap have TOO much influence over what clubs you select. I am a 13 handicap and I play MAX game improvement irons. PING G10 and Adams A12OS - shovels. That is WHY I am a 13 handicap and not a 17 (not that there is anything wrong with being at 17). My point is that if I changed to a smaller head with a narrower sole, my playing would get worse. Just food for thought.

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
One thought - I would not let your handicap have TOO much influence over what clubs you select. I am a 13 handicap and I play MAX game improvement irons. PING G10 and Adams A12OS - shovels. That is WHY I am a 13 handicap and not a 17 (not that there is anything wrong with being at 17). My point is that if I changed to a smaller head with a narrower sole, my playing would get worse. Just food for thought.
And on the opposite side of that, I play a somewhat forgiving, more players iron in the 320's, and those have brought me down to a 4, as opposed to the ISI-K shovels that I couldn't get below 10 with. For me it's more of an offset thing, I could play big chunky GI irons if they had little to no offset, but for now, I'm relegated to the ranks of "player's CB"

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
This is not the case with me. I started with the old muscle back irons 50 years ago and played mostly cavity backs since until a few years ago I got a set of Ping S59's. I played well with them but got it in my head I should be hitting CB's with my skill level. I went back to G5's and until this winter played them. I just NEEDED a new set of irons so went to the golf store and got on their monitor trying every iron I could. I tried all the Mizuno's and everything else. I tried the Ping S55's even though the salesman said "those are hard to hit". I had already read up on all these clubs and the S55's said they were forgiving. When I hit them on the monitor they felt like butter and the left/right and distance dispersion were WAY tighter then all the other clubs. And I'm loving them on the course.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
This is not the case with me. I started with the old muscle back irons 50 years ago and played mostly cavity backs since until a few years ago I got a set of Ping S59's. I played well with them but got it in my head I should be hitting CB's with my skill level. I went back to G5's and until this winter played them. I just NEEDED a new set of irons so went to the golf store and got on their monitor trying every iron I could. I tried all the Mizuno's and everything else. I tried the Ping S55's even though the salesman said "those are hard to hit". I had already read up on all these clubs and the S55's said they were forgiving. When I hit them on the monitor they felt like butter and the left/right and distance dispersion were WAY tighter then all the other clubs. And I'm loving them on the course.

First set of irons I ever played were some old 1979 Titleist Blades my grandfather left behind when he died. I actually liked them (the head was so small and thin), and had a hard time "visually" going down to SuperGI irons like the Cobra S9. I still from time to time bag the 9 iron blade just for the fun of it even though I kind of hit them better years ago than I do now

OP
dunagan15

dunagan15

Aug 17, 2008
Went to the superstore today to test some irons. I hit the new Cally XRs (not PRO) and the Mizuno JPX 850 (Not PRO). These both felt very similar to me and the results also were very close. I hit the callys further and the Mizunos straighter but both performed well. I liked these because they did offer solid forgiveness on mishits and I dont feel im ready for the higher end club yet. Id love to had just walked out of there with a set but I didnt want to drop that kinda cheese.

After doing some research Ive seen that Mizunos has previous models JBX 825 and JBX 800. Is anyone familiar with hitting these? My gut tells me to look for some used older models if they hit close to the same. From the reviews the Mizunos make me feel more comfortable buying the older models.

Which model of the Callys that are 2-4 years old are solid options as well?

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Went to the superstore today to test some irons. I hit the new Cally XRs (not PRO) and the Mizuno JPX 850 (Not PRO). These both felt very similar to me and the results also were very close. I hit the callys further and the Mizunos straighter but both performed well. I liked these because they did offer solid forgiveness on mishits and I dont feel im ready for the higher end club yet. Id love to had just walked out of there with a set but I didnt want to drop that kinda cheese.

After doing some research Ive seen that Mizunos has previous models JBX 825 and JBX 800. Is anyone familiar with hitting these? My gut tells me to look for some used older models if they hit close to the same. From the reviews the Mizunos make me feel more comfortable buying the older models.

Mizzy's for the win. That is all. You're welcome. :)

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country

I know cally had a razr iron line that were fairly game improvement if you want to check those out

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country

Most any of the "X" line from Callaway are great irons. There's a set of X20's at our local Golf USA shop for something like $130, 4 thru SW. And, Callaway has an excellent customer service staff is you would have QC issues EVER with one of their clubs.
And, you cannot go wrong with the Mizzy clubs you mentioned. You might also look for a set of the "G" series Pings. G2, G5... I've had a couple sets of the G20's and have enjoyed them.

OP
dunagan15

dunagan15

Aug 17, 2008
Will the ping g series line be an upgrade over my current set? (Adams idea A7)

🔥 Latest posts