• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Iron shaft musings

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
So, I've been having some trouble hitting my irons lately. As referred to in this thread (http://www.shottalk.com/forum/equipment-talk/14566-making-switch.html), I made the switch from my Wilson Staff Pi5's to the set my uncle gave me. Immediately, my iron play improved. But, don't ask why, I want to go back to my Pi5's (maybe it's because I spent money on the Wilson's, so I have a vested interest in them because I paid for them, as opposed to the set I got for free. Who knows.).

The biggest difference between the two is that the shaft in the Habjan's are stiffer. I don't know what they are, but they are definitely stiffer than the Wilson's (which have a DG R300 that came with the set). Also, for some time now, I've noticed that the shafts in my Wilson's feel "noodly" when going through the hitting zone, especially when I pure it. When I pure a strike with the Habjan's, I don't get this overly flexible reaction in my hands. Also, I don't feel like I have control over the shaft in the downswing. Going back, it feels just fine, but once I make the move to the downswing, I can't feel the clubhead like I think I should.

Now, here's my quandry: my iron swing speed is in the 85mph range and I hit my 8iron 140 yards and my 6iron 160 yards. From my understanding, that would put me right in the "regular" flex range. But I can't stand this "noodly" feel through impact. So, I went to the golf store where they have some nice simulators and launch monitors, and I tried out a few different irons with some different shafts (mostly I tried the Cally X-Forged w/ Project X Flighted 5.5, and TM R7 TP w/ DG S300), and found that my distance wasn't much shorter, and I didn't feel the same "noodly" feel through impact.

So, now, here's my question: should I consider putting some stiffer shafts in my irons? I'm thinking of making a winter project out of it.

Secondly, is there a type of shaft that you might recommend?

Thanks in advance!

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
from what ive heard, steel shafts flex doesnt matter nearly as much as graphite..

but, a stiffer shaft would make it feel better if that is what you like, and it would also tighten up the dispersion... if you arent noticing any loss or a minor loss in distance, but a tighter dispersion, i would say go for it...

DG's are low launch... rifles are high launch.. project X's are mid launch, TT black golds are higher launch than the DG;s with no noticeable distance loss.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I have about the same SS as you, and I can't stand the DG R300's. They feel exactly as you described.

Having said that, I demoed a few shafts in my six iron, and settled on the Dynalite Gold R300. Very stable feeling. High ball flight, but no ballooning (as least with the heads I use.)

Give one a try.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
With the distance you gave for you 6 and 8 irons and an approximate iron swing speed of 85mph, you are right in line with getting some DG S300's, Dynalites in stiff, or Rifle 5.5's. Rifles have different launches depending on flex. 5.5's are mid launch, but 6.0 and higher are low launch shafts so you may need to step up to 6.0's if you wanted to lower your ball flight a bit. If you are looking for a cheaper option, FST shafts offer a few different shafts depending on weight and launch options. I have not personally hit them, but some folks on the board whose opinon's I trust have reported nothing but positive remarks on the shafts.

OP
Fitzpatrick

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
Thanks for your replies!

I went back to the store today, and spent some more time in the simulator with a few different clubs (all 6irons) with different shafts:

Wilson Staff Pi5 DG R300 (my own 6iron; the control of the group)
Wilson Staff Pi5 DG S300
TaylorMade R7 TP DG S300
Ping i3+ Blade Z-Z65 Stiff
Ping G2 Uniflex
Adams Idea Pro Black Gold Stiff
Callaway X-Forged Project X Flighted 5.0
Ben Hogan Apex FTX Apex #4

I started out with my own 6iron, and was averaging right around where I usually do (a little longer, given the practice mat). Still had the noodly feel at impact, and my dispersion was everywhere. Definitely my typical army golf. So, I picked up the Pi5 with the stiff shaft, and my dispersion got a lot tighter, but I didn't like how low the ballflight was, or the loss of distance (only about 5 yards, but it was consitently shorter than the R flex).

I next moved to the Hogans with the Apex 4 shaft. I used to use the Apex 3 when I had my CFT's, and remember liking the kick of the shaft. I pushed every shot with the Hogan, except for the one where I caught it thin and it went straight about 120 yards. Don't know if it was the shaft or if my swing left me for a few swings, but I put it back anyway.

Next was the Ping i3+ Blade with Z-Z65 stiff. Very first swing, 187 yards carry, dead straight. Shaft felt smooth through impact. I hit about 10 balls or so with this club, and was consistently ~180 yards with a slight draw (so says the simulator, anyway). My SS was still in the 85mph to 90 mph range.

Figuring that I was getting in a groove of sorts, I returned to my own 6iron, and was right back down to 165 to 170 yards, and either left or right.

Next I moved to the TM r7 TP, and I had a similar experience as with the Pi5 with S300, except that my distance was better (175 yards or so). Same low ballflight.

Next I went to the Adams Idea Pro with Black Gold. I liked the look of the shaft, and it had a nice kick to it. I hit about 15 balls with this club, and the shaft felt great. A lot like the Z-Z65 shaft, to me.

Finally I went with the Callaway X-Forged with the Project X Flighted 5.0. Wow. Huge distance gain (which I will take with a grain of salt, as I was hitting off of a mat, and I always hit it a little farther off of a mat). I was averaging 180 yards with this club (my SS by this time had creeped up to the lower 90's; I figure that if I took these onto a course, my SS and distance would drop accordingly, as I do not typically swing that hard when playing). More importantly, to me, the shaft felt the best out of the group, probably similar in feel to the Black Gold. Higher ballflight, which I like, and nice, tight dispersion.

Before I left the sim, I tried out the Pi5 with S300. A little better distance, but I didn't like how heavy the S300 felt as opposed to the Project X Flighted. I don't know how heavy each is compared to the other, but I liked the Project X Flighted better than the DG. So, for now, I am debating either the Black Gold or the Project X Flighted. Leaning toward the Project X Flighted.

...I'm thinking of doing this re-shaft project myself, so I wonder if I shouldn't just get some Snake Eyes 600C or Golfsmith P2 and build up my own set.

Again, thanks everyone for their replies.

🔥 Latest posts