1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Irons Question

Discussion in 'Golf Equipment Talk' started by CLT13, Aug 9, 2020.

1. CLT13

CLT13 New Member

United States United States
    I’m 39 and play anywhere from 10 to12 handicap.. I currently play JPX 919 forged irons but I feel like I’m not getting the distance that I should with them. I’m looking for a players style iron at address something with more distance or help any suggestions? I used to hit a 7-iron 150 to 160 but I feel like I’m hitting 145 currently. My shafts are stiff, would reg flex maybe add more distance? The distance causes me to club up a lot and I feel like it makes my shots tougher I feel with a little more distance I would score better as I would hit more greens in reg instead of getting up and down constantly?

2. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

Advice from an old guy who can barely hit it out of his shadow.... Quite paying attention to the number on the club. Pay attention to how far each and every iron goes... and work to keep that consistent. My son-in-law is a pretty good stick. He will use a 7 iron where I will use a 4. I'll beat him 9 times out of 10 because I don't try to swing harder just to get another 5 yards out of a club.
    Will lighter flex shafts help you distance? Probably. But, lighter flex shafts may not help your consistency. When I tried to go to a senior flex, iron shots could vary as much as 10 yards from the same club. With my current "S" flex shafts... they are very consistent, if I am swinging good that day.
    Come play a round with a group of us seniors. I have guys in our group who will hit a 6 hybrid from 100 yards... and put it within a few feet of the pin. "It's not about 'how', it's about 'how many'!!"

Louie_T07 and CLT13 like this.
  3. eclark53520

eclark53520 DB Member Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Agree with the above. It really doesn't matter what distance you hit a specific club.

Consistency is how you score better.

Welcome to Shottalk, btw!

LyleG, Louie_T07 and MCDavis like this.