• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Irons questions

Undr Par

Lefties have more Fun
Jul 14, 2007
ok let me start by saying I'm in the market for some new irons this off-season (Christmas gift from Wifey...) I'm stuck between 2 brands, Taylor Made and Calloway. I've had a set of Taylor Made (Firesole Irons) for about 6 yrs now (but only about 2yrs of service on them with not playing for roughly 4yrs) and I love them, so I'm kinda partial toward Taylor Made. I like the R7 but I don't know which ones to get (the regular R7 or the R7Tour Players Iron Set) I know the Tour Players are supposely more forgiving but does that help a bogey golfer like myself? Then with the Calloways I'm stuck between the (X-20 or the Tour X-20) with the Tour X-20 also being more forgiving.....any suggestions

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
the x-20 tours and the r7tours are LESS forgiving than the other models...

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
With Taylormade the TP versions are made for low to mid handicappers they have a smaller head size and little to no offset. The regular R7 irons are a little bigger head size and more offset to help players close the club face better. It’s the same thing with the Callaway irons the tours are smaller and have less offset. If you like to work the ball both left and right and tend to hook the ball on miss hits maybe look at the tour preferred (TP) or the Tour irons if not, the regular X-20’s and R7 irons should be a good options.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
The tour versions are less forgiving as said. IMO a lot of equipment cannot really be judged by overall handicap but by ability in each facet. I am not the best driver of the ball but my ballstriking is good. An offset iron would have me missing left and make the shots I like to hit tougher to hit. I basically choose my stuff based upon when I'm playing well. Just be honest with yourself, if you miss a lot of iron shots and have trouble striking the ball consistantly, then go with a more GI iron. If you have no real problem and hit your irons with a solid strike almost every time then a player geared iron will be more accurate and workable.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Where exactly can i HO one of these french maids????? :laugh:
You may want to wait. You see, I've been trying to decide between the Tailor Maid Tour Perforated and the CallOway Futons. Both seem to be pretty good sticks and are available with the Trifle shafts. The nod will probably go to Tailor Maid since that company is owned by the Adios Corporation.

But, after seeing the sweet little thing that Tiger guy married, I'll opt for those Nookie clubs he plays!!

Man, we're probably not helping this fella who asked a very excellent and straight-forward question, are we??

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
You may want to wait. You see, I've been trying to decide between the Tailor Maid Tour Perforated and the CallOway Futons. Both seem to be pretty good sticks and are available with the Trifle shafts. The nod will probably go to Tailor Maid since that company is owned by the Adios Corporation.

But, after seeing the sweet little thing that Tiger guy married, I'll opt for those Nookie clubs he plays!!

Man, we're probably not helping this fella who asked a very excellent and straight-forward question, are we??

Post of the month, for sure! ROTFLMAO!!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Undr Par, the best thing to do is hit some demo irons and see what you like the best. You've chosen 2 good manufacturers, and good irons from them. Now it's up to your taste.

If it was me, I'd be demoing Mizuno MP-60's...I will play those (or the 57's) after my 23's.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.