• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Irons: Steel versus Graphite shafts, Game improvement clubs

titaniummd

Aug 26, 2006
1) If you have regular flex shafts, what would be the advantage of steel versus graphite?
2) There are some clubs that have caught my eye for game improvement (I don't plan to buy anything for some time) that make me wonder what advantages you can get from the newer technology: Mizuno MX 900
Callaway fusion irons
Taylor made R7
RGB Nickent 3DXDC irons (I realize that they have made their lofts 'stronger' for longer distances)

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
graphite shafts will give you length but suffer accuracy... usually graphite shafts are for people with really low swing speeds.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
There are a number of differences between graphite shafts and steel shafts for irons, but the biggest reason why a golfer would go into graphite shafted irons is for the lighter weight. Even a heavy weight graphite iron shaft is still lighter than most steel shafts. The advantage to a lighter shaft is less fatigue on the course and a slightly higher swing speed for most individuals. The downside to a lighter shaft is that it may adjust your tempo to a point where you no longer have the same level of control that you had with a heavier shaft. The latest graphite shafts have come a long way in the accuracy department compared to the shafts of just a few years ago so that should not be too much of an issue depending on the quality of the shaft.

Another reason why someone would go into a graphite shaft for an iron is for vibration reduction. Scott Verplank went into graphite shafts after his injury to reduce the chance of the vibrations from the shaft agrivating the injury.

One reason that so many people stay with steel shafts in their irons is distance consistancy. With graphite you may get a bit more distance over a steel shaft, but it is not as consistant as the steel shaft. Your 150 yard shot may go 156 yards or 148 yards, where the steel shaft will most likely have a tighter dispersion circle. In drivers and fairway woods, this dispersion is more acceptable, but in irons most golfers are looking for consistancy versus a few extra yards every now an again.

Another option you may want to look into is a light weight steel shaft such as the TX-90 or DG SL's. The weights on those shafts get down below 100 grams, almost down to the heavy weight graphite shaft weights. The consistancy of steel at a lighter weight.

Hope this helps.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
very knowledgeable post ualtim.i used to have graphite in my old irons but after about 2 yrs i switched to Dynamic Gold stiff shafts.i didnt see any loss in distance and accuracy went up alittle.after that experiance i personaly would never by a set of irons with graph. shafts again.

he only club in my bag with graphite is my driver.my hybrids have steel shafts for more accuracy.i dont carry a 3 or 5 wood replaced them with hybrids for a little more accuracy.

OP
titaniummd

titaniummd

Aug 26, 2006
the biggest reason why a golfer would go into graphite shafted irons is for the lighter weight.

One reason that so many people stay with steel shafts in their irons is distance consistancy. With graphite you may get a bit more distance over a steel shaft, but it is not as consistant as the steel shaft. Your 150 yard shot may go 156 yards or 148 yards, where the steel shaft will most likely have a tighter dispersion circle. In drivers and fairway woods, this dispersion is more acceptable, but in irons most golfers are looking for consistancy versus a few extra yards every now an again.

Hope this helps.
It did help. Thanks.

As a beginner, knowing the distances is the most important thing for me know. Not that I am making G.I.R. but that is my goal.

My first goal will be to stay in the fairway more often than not, then start to make G.I.R., while working upon improving my putting consistency.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
My mom plays some old X-18s with graphite shafts and loves them. I picked one up and just hated it, steel shaft for me.

Personally, unless it's a weight issue, I fail to see why someone wouldn't want a steel shaft. When you are going on an approach shot would you rather be accurate or long?

smitty

Jul 6, 2006
Re graphite vs. steel shafts in irons, I really believe it depends on the player. I had graphite shafts in my irons for several years in the early 90's, went to steel shafts, and now I am back to graphite again. I find the graphite to give less vibration on mis-hits, and the lighter shaft gives me a better feel for the clubhead and where the club face is at every pont in the swing. As far as accuracy goes, I think the difference in accuracy for many, many players between graphite and iron will be negligible.

As to the game improvement irons, I would agree with the notion that was expressed by Golf Digest some time ago to the effect that almost everyone should have some sort of game improvement feature in your irons, unless you are a very low handicap player or an excellent striker of the ball. How much of a game improvement feature there should be in the iron you play may depend on a number of things, such as your handicap, comfort factor, etc. But I think the game improvement irons and the overall technology have progressed so much that even the "super" game improvement clubs are worth a serious look. I played a Hogan blade-type iron for several years, and now use the Callaway Wide Sole Fusion and am amazed at how much these clubs make the game easier. People seem to acknowledge the game improvement features of modern wood design, but often seem to fight the game improvement features of irons (part of it may be the pride of saying "I play a blade" or the notion that if you play a blade you must be a good player). I once was in this camp, swearing I would never play a real game-improvement iron, but now I don't think I would ever go back. Why wouldn't I want to be on the fringe instead of 10 yards short or in the bunker? :)

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
As every one knows I am buying TA5's one club at a time, I have 2 with steel and 2 with graphite, I will be reshafting them all this winter with STEEL, I hate the graphite shafts in the irons.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
As every one knows I am buying TA5's one club at a time, I have 2 with steel and 2 with graphite, I will be reshafting them all this winter with STEEL, I hate the graphite shafts in the irons.

Why is that? Looks or the feel?

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
They look fine I just do not like them, because of the tourque factor. They twist more than the steel shafts.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
A 2 with graphite? Now I understand the 2 is partially for distance, but long irons are hard to hit as is, much less with the graphite.

🔥 Latest posts