• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is Anchoring Ban Really 'for the Good of the Game'?

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
By Matthew Wurzburger

a4.bp.blogspot.com__3oUqEP_mQWg_UaUHL5_bfcI_AAAAAAAAGGA_ShSrMPc4G_8_s1600_USGA.jpg
Clinging to past?​
CBS GOLF ANALYST NICK FALDO USED a lull in the action during Saturday’s coverage of the Crowne Plaza Invitational to offer his opinion of Rule 14-1b, the controversial new rule that prohibits anchoring the golf club. As was to be expected, Faldo wholeheartedly supports the recent R&A and USGA decision to nix the anchored putting stroke; he believes the rule will help golf to be played as intended by the game’s founders.

But do any of us play golf in the way it was intended to be played on the links of Scotland over five centuries ago?

Long ago golfers traded in primitive golf clubs featuring wooden heads and hickory and metal shafts for drivers and irons composed of lightweight, space-age materials. The changes do not stop with the composition of the clubs. Today’s golfers also use an entirely new and unique club: the hybrid. I certainly am not advocating for a return to old-fashioned clubs, but it certainly is interesting to imagine Old Tom Morris' reaction to being presented a Rocketballz driver.

The other question to consider is whether the governing bodies of golf need to cling so tightly to the past.

All Big Four sports leagues in North America—National Football League (NFL), National Hockey League (NHL), Major League Baseball (MLB) and National Basketball Association (NBA)—have altered their games and sports. For example, the introduction of, at first, the shot clock and much later the three-point arc greatly increased the offensive excitement of basketball, and has made the NBA one of the most popular sports in the world.

Proponents of the anchored putting stroke claim it allows for more people to play and, more importantly, enjoy the game of golf. If that is true, why not allow the hackers and double-bogey golfers of the world to anchor if outlawing the technique will push them away from the game?

I believe the founders of golf could forgive the R&A and USGA for going against the founders' original intentions if it is for the betterment of the game.

Matthew Wurzburger is a University of Virginia student who covers sports for the The Cavalier Daily.

afeeds_feedburner_com__ff_ArmchairGolfBlog_90875f527880786621fd034e7fa2f873._.gif

Source: Is Anchoring Ban Really 'for the Good of the Game'?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Trying to relate technology and materials changes with an anchored swing is quite a stretch. Even so, they have restricted equipment as well. So i don't see the authors point at all.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
IMHO I think the "definition of a stroke" or ban in anchoring is pointless at best. The USGA was behind the 8 ball on limiting driver distance and still haven't addressed the ball. And I still don't get the square groove ban.

Why has anchoring all of a sudden become "the" hot button issue? Lets talk about slow play!

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
IMHO I think the "definition of a stroke" or ban in anchoring is pointless at best. The USGA was behind the 8 ball on limiting driver distance and still haven't addressed the ball. And I still don't get the square groove ban.

Why has anchoring all of a sudden become "the" hot button issue? Lets talk about slow play!
I'm disgusted that the authorities have used the word "integrity" to support their position. The corollary of that is those who use anchored putters (within the rules) lack integrity. Disgraceful.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I'm disgusted that the authorities have used the word "integrity" to support their position. The corollary of that is those who use anchored putters (within the rules) lack integrity. Disgraceful.
I agree. If the integrity of the game was threatens why didn't the USGA act sooner? It's not like the broomstick is new, Rocco Mediate has been using it for years.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I looked it up, 1991 Mediate was the first player to log a victory with a long putter and anchored stroke.

22 years.

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
Maybe they'll let me putt with a cue stick ;)

Really though, I just dont see the issue with the anchored putters. They really dont seem to give anyone an advantage or the guys who have them would be putting circles around everyone that doesnt every day of the week.
If its not an advantage or unfair, why the big stink now?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Maybe they'll let me putt with a cue stick ;)

Really though, I just dont see the issue with the anchored putters. They really dont seem to give anyone an advantage or the guys who have them would be putting circles around everyone that doesnt every day of the week.
If its not an advantage or unfair, why the big stink now?
That's just it. There is nothing that proves anchoring makes putting easier. Otherwise all ayers that make a living playing golf would be anchoring.

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
Integrity of the game. Its not a swing if the club is anchored in my opinion. Apparently Im not alone.
but.....arent you still relying on your body to make the putt?
I could understand the whole issue if it were anchored to the ground or some stationary object.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.