• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is it bad to store golf clubs in a very cold garage?

B

Brandon R

I store my clubs in the garage over the winter and im wondering if this is okay, i have read up a little bit and they apparently rust from oxidation, but the air in northern Minnesota isnt humid/moist so i dont think this could happen just wondering if there could be any damage done

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Personally, I'd probably make my wife stay in a cold garage before making my golf clubs stay there. (Please note, she doesn't have access to this forum so I can appear brave.) I would think heat is a much worse enemy of clubs than the cold. Your autos are held together with epoxies... as are your clubs. And, that's really the only thing that could suffer due to extreme temps. Of course, if the clubs are angered, they could take out that anger on your game next Spring.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I store my clubs in the garage over the winter and im wondering if this is okay, i have read up a little bit and they apparently rust from oxidation, but the air in northern Minnesota isnt humid/moist so i dont think this could happen just wondering if there could be any damage done
Its not so much the humidity its the temperature changes. Cold shafts and warm air means condensation. Condensation means rust.

Does this mean anything meaningful as far as club health? I have no idea.

I keep mine inside because my basement has plenty of room.

Release

Mar 2, 2008
Bad for the grips and the epoxy if left in close to freezing condition, not as bad as leaving them in the trunk in the heat of the Summer but not good.
Here is why, when temperature dip close to freezing, if the two parts adhered together are made of different material, different density contract differently. This will also apply to driver head or any golf club made with two or more materials either welded together or epoxied together. The tension of the two different materials in extreme temperature will cause premature separation.
As for grips, it aged faster in left in either extreme hot or cold temperature.

If you leave the golf clubs in the garage over the Winter, make sure it's stored closer to the furnace and off the floor if possible.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
There is not noticeable issues with leaving clubs alone in cold weather over winter under the conditions you described in MN.

A few years back we performed tensile strength test on clubs put under extreme heat and cold and there was no differences from normal temp conditions.

As far as rubber degradation goes, well I don't know how to test for that, but I cannot ever recall seeing grips suffer adverse changes over winter break...I mean, do tires go bad after winter?

Now, if your clubs had steel iron shafts and exposed to wet and humid conditions, then, without proper storage preparation being done, then you COULD see oxidation.

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
Its not so much the humidity its the temperature changes. Cold shafts and warm air means condensation. Condensation means rust.

Does this mean anything meaningful as far as club health? I have no idea.

I keep mine inside because my basement has plenty of room.

I like to soak my Cleveland RAW wedges in water and leave them outside over night sometimes, go tet them to rust, and get more bite on the ball. I also recently had my MP29s sandblasted and powder coated. I left the faces raw to promote rusting as well.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I have a 60* practice wedge that is identical to my gamer. It has been sitting outside of my house for 5 years. I haven't replaced the grip in 3 years. I havent had any trouble with it and I hit that club more than any other.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
From a metallurgical point of view the cold dry winter air shouldn't hurt them. It's the hot humid summer air that accellerates rusting. Still a good idea to cover them and not leave the metal exposed.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
The drastic temp swings between night and day can cause condensation which will also cause rusting issues.

Cold metal and warm moist air looks like your mirror after a shower.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
In a garage I don't think there are drastic temperature swings. If you have the clubs covered there would be no condensation to touch the metal.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
In a garage I don't think there are drastic temperature swings. If you have the clubs covered there would be no condensation to touch the metal.

Non-insulated garage in the spring time in Wisconsin? Temps go from 10 at night to 60+ in a couple hours...I've had condensation on my garage floor...that tells me golf club shafts will have condensation.

Even still...it's not going to cause enough damage to be noteworthy. At least not unless they're left out there for many years.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Reviving this because I'm wondering if it affects golf balls, too. I had my clubs in my car trunk when it was 14 degrees for a couple of days straight... wondering if I have a pocket full of useless Pro V1s now.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.