• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is there a proper etiquette for 4 Man Scramble?

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
Man I just never really thought about cheating in a scramble. I don't play in many and haven't for about 4 years.

I do like them as they are usually fun.

I need to talk my boss into going. Played yesterday with him and he reached a slightly uphill par 5 at 573 with driver and 19* rescue. He was just over on the collar. He is sick long.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
gpo,

We seem to have similar games. Don't you think (as I know from experience) that low hadicap golfers have no trouble shooting in the 50s in a scramble format?

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
gwlee I haven't been in many scrambles and the ones I'm in we're all highhandycap so I'm unfamiliar with what is possible.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
That's cool.
The others are right that there can be a bit of "score enhancement" in some of these things. I pretty much know what my chances are going in depending on the format. If it is an event where we get to bring our own team, I try to bring as strong a team as I can just so that we'll have a fighting chance against those that do cheat. If it is a holiday scramble at my home course, the pros make up the teams and they are pretty fair with A B C D players on each team.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
How many scrambles have teams where at least 2 of the players are a +2 or better? hell I am sure if you had a scramble team of Mickelson, Woods, Garcia, & Fred Couples just for us old guys, they could shoot in the 40's.

rob0225

Mar 27, 2006
Country
I don't play in scrambles any more for exactly this reason. Too much cheating. The best scramble I have ever played in was 3 golfers per team with 2 teams on each tee who traded score cards. Probably one of the most honest scrambles I have ever played in.

I understand most scrambles are for charity or what not, but I still would like a chance at winning it, but it's near impossible when you've got folks out there who have no reservations about pencil whipping it!

robert

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
You need to be REAL sure of the format before flinging accusations of cheating around.

Straight up, 25 under is not realistic but if the format uses a portion of the combined handicap then it's completely doable.

I played in a 2 man scramble today and we came in at 5 over. They used 25% of the combined handicap we we ended up 10 under. We shot like shit but you can see how such a thing IS possible.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
As someone said, who are you cheating on other than yourself? I might be completely wrong, but I thought the idea behind the golf game was to play against yourself and how you have improved, etc.

Some people shoul be playing checkers or something instead...

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
There is an annual 27-hole ambrose event (thats what a scramble is called here in Oz) at my old club that my brother and a few varying friends play in very year.

I can assure you that we are all single digit golfers (we play for scratch prizes only). My brother is off 2-3, I'm 4-5 and the others are usually 5-7 'cappers. The best round we've recorded is 22 under for 27 holes which I believe is the equal best score in the events 10 year history.

I don't care how perfectly you play, even 4 golfers in single digits WILL NOT score more under the card than the amount of holes they play. Level with is probably the best you can do but 25 under for 18 holes is the worst display of cheating I have ever come across.

BaLanar

Rules and Equipment Guru^
Jul 7, 2008
25 under? :needpics:
Do you have a Sheet or score card that you can show Us there score and who they were! Thats incredible! And i feel bad on your part....Pfft, pros, Eh? :canadafla

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
Too shoot something like that your gonna need some serious long bombs to eagle the par 5s and a great short game.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I know the captain of the winning team, they aren't that good. Certainly not good enough to shoot that low. Now that I know how it works, I'll be more prepared next year when this tourny rolls around again. Apparently, this is standard procedure for this tourny, but nobody bothered to inform me of this fact. There were prizes awarded, such as clubs, bags, ect......, which is apparently why some felt the need to embelish there scores, :D. My team kept our legit score and placed 5th so I don't feel so bad.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
Too shoot something like that your gonna need some serious long bombs to eagle the par 5s and a great short game.

Takes more than that to shoot a 47. If you hit every par 3 and 4 in regulation, and reach every par 5 in 2, that's 32 shots on a normal course. That means you need to get around in 15 putts. That means if you don't miss a single putt all round, you still need to hole out ( from considerable distance ) three times. Put simply, you need to make seven eagles and eleven birdies.

Mid-fifties is one thing... high forties is another entirely.

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
So... I was taking photos at a local 2 man scramble. One of the men, he lands in the sand bunker.

takes his club, uses it to pound and smooth the sand all around the ball....

I guess it would have been about 10 strokes right there. Good Lord!
Ok so another team was on the green with these two, and not a word said.

except....when the guy then hits the ball out of the sand and over and past the green.....hehe his team mate cussed him out. hehe.
they came in last, so there ya go.

freakyswinger

Golf Ellusionist
Oct 23, 2009
Me and my golf buddy did a 2 man scramble just us playing to see how low we could get we shot 80, im a 22 handicap and him about 30ish i think a team of scratch golfers could do 18 under at the most, anything else, unless you have 400 mulligans i think would be really hard to sell? if you cheat in this format you suck! i dont even like to play if im going to have to cheat. golf is the only sport i know of where you cheat yourself. think about it like this brag about shooting a 50 when you know you shot 90 thats like saying you hit a home run, and really. you just rode the Bench.

🔥 Latest posts