• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is your swing supposed to be comfortable?

jonjoyner83

Apr 1, 2006
Mine recently has not been. I feel very clunky and out of balance when I swing. I have been focusing so much on my golf game recently that I feel I have alienated my body. Should I put the clubs up and not look at them for 2 weeks or go hit range balls tomorrow at lunch?:dead:
Golf has recently become the most high-maintenance aspect of my life outside of my wife.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Mine recently has not been. I feel very clunky and out of balance when I swing. I have been focusing so much on my golf game recently that I feel I have alienated my body. Should I put them up and not look at them for 2 weeks or go hit range balls tomorrow at lunch?:dead:
Golf has recently become the most high-maintenance aspect of my life outside of my wife.

You know, I'm curious about this.

I spent a considerable amount of time trying to get my swing, every swing, to feel smooth to my mind. Helped me, but who knows?

Oh, and I spend more time on golf than I do my wife.

OP
jonjoyner83

jonjoyner83

Apr 1, 2006
Maybe it's a bit overworked? Kind of like if you sit at a desk all day working on the same thing. That gets uncomfortable easily. I'm thinking a layoff might be good for a week or two.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'm at that point myself right now. Not very happy with my range session this evening. Thinking I might take a week off from swinging and just chip, pitch and putt. I felt like I was getting away from things I'd been working on and don't want to screw up the last month of work.

OP
jonjoyner83

jonjoyner83

Apr 1, 2006
I've struggled so much with my game recently because I am devoting more time to it...I am constantly discourage by my lack of improvement. I informed my wife that I will be getting a few lessons within the next few months.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I don't think it's suppose to be comfortable.

If I'm comfortable when I swing, it's not a great swing, and I don't get the results I want.

If I focus, and twist/pull/swing/hinge/ect.. I get great results and realize that for the split second I'm swinging, it's worth it for the few seconds of air time and watching the ball.

However, I too want not comfortable.. but SMOOTH.. I've been wanting to get some more new clubs.. for whatever reason.. but I think I'm gonna slam some lessons in too.

Oh and I spend more time and money on golf than I do my ol' lady.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Oh, and mind, my swing feels more comfortable because I'm still 22 and somewhat limber.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I don't think it's supposed to feel "comfortable", just "familiar". If you're "coiling the spring" on your backswing it's not going to feel good. That's the "lesson" in the Four Magic Moves package I bought this winter and it's been working great for me so far. :)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The hands have to be comfortable. And maybe the head.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
I'm fat and my shirt always feels like it's not tucked in right. So my swing always feels somewhat uncomfortable.

Kevin

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Well buy longer shirts!!! :D

Casual Male XL sale starts today. 50% off. I have five new longer shirts waiting to be picked up today. Nice shirts, too. Not the Jacque Pennay crap I have been wearing.

I expect a round of 76 or better tomorrow based simply by looking good and feeling comfortable. LOL.

Kevin

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Casual Male XL sale starts today. 50% off. I have five new longer shirts waiting to be picked up today. Nice shirts, too. Not the Jacque Pennay crap I have been wearing.

I expect a round of 76 or better tomorrow based simply by looking good and feeling comfortable. LOL.

Kevin
Do they have any that can be tucked into my socks? I have yet to find a shirt that my belly can't eject from my waistband.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Comfort comes trough repetition. It takes time, and a lot of effort to build a good swing, and to get it to the point it is both comfortable and automatic. The trick is patience, and the ability to accept a lot of dark days before the suns comes out to stay. You need to understand that it can take a year or two to get to where you want to be, and this, in a society of instant results can be hard to do.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I'm 6'2" and 190 lbs and I can't keep my shirt tucked in. But I've decided it's because of my long fluid swing, :laugh:

And no, my swing doesn't feel comfortable either. But as long as it produces the shot I'm after I don't care. Like WBL said, if you wind up the spring which you have to do to produce the club head speed we all after, I don't see how it can be comfortable, familiar yes, comfortable no.

🔥 Latest posts