• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I've come to a conclusion.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I've played golf a long time mostly at a decent competitive level. I've had a lot of clubs through my hands, I've taken. a lot of divots in my days. And I'm convinced that the clubs have very little to do with your ability to score, with a couple of exceptions the most notable being the flatstick.

The last three rounds I've played have been with different irons. And two different putters. Admittedly they are similar in spec in terms of shaft, but they have been blades, progressive blades and perimeter. Has it affected my scoring? Not one bit. Even the putters make little difference. Ok I will concede that playing rebar with an 80mph swing won't work, so let's assume that the clubs are a decent enough match to ability.

So my conclusion is if you put a good swing on something the result is very similar, be it a driver, fairway, irons, wedges or putter. Everything else that contributes to your final score is in the head, mostly game plan and confidence.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
Agreed, with this simple addition. The brain can analyze whats in the hands and determine it can't be hit and then it wont. 90% mental the other half is talent and the other half is luck. ;)

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
And if you can putt well, at the end of the day you will be happy.

Which is why Adam Scott is doomed.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
IG, I remember a club pro tell me something to that effect a few years back. He said it didn't matter what type or brand of club he had in his hands. He said he'd still hit a good score.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I agree completely IF the player is at a certain skill level. Yes, a solid swing will yield good results with old stuff, BUT, I don't think I could shoot my best golf with a persimmon headed, steel shafted driver. Irons....not so much affect.....30 year old PING Eye 2s work as well for me as a new i25.

Last edited:

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Yet a vast number of people will never be convinced that it's the Indian and not the arrow. Keep hoing drivers in search of that magical one that will correct slices and add 50 yds to your shot.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I believe the single equipment advancement that has kept people in this game is the 460cc titanium driver. If we were still locked in to playing persimmon or laminated drivers... or even the 175cc steel drivers... many would have given up in disgust. Simply getting off the tee and being able to find it keeps people interested.

And, perimeter weighted irons have made a difference. Today's blades are easier to hit than those of yesteryear. Hit one of today's Mizuno or Titleist blades and then try to play an old Staff Fluid Feel or Hogan Director. Today's marginally adept player can play perimeter weighted or today's blade. Those who play once or twice a season or those who are just getting started in the game have no business with blades... today's or yesterday's... in their bag.

I've had two aces in my life. The first was off the face of a '94 Callaway Big Bertha iron. That was about as large and forgiving as one could find. The second ace was off the face of a Titleist 690mb... a solid blade. Talk about two models of irons that couldn't be more opposing in design and they both were able to put a ball into the hole.

If blades gave an advantage due to being easier to work or being more accurate, PGA Tour pros would all play blades. Many more play some sort of perimeter weighted than play straight blade models. It's what keeps the ball in front of you.

Putting is the one area that technology hasn't had much effect on. If technology were all that important, we would see all people playing Yes! putters or Bassakwards putters or Odysseys or, or, or..... Bobby Grace did bring many of us to the mallet models with the advent of the Fat Lady Swings and Nick Price's Masters win with one. There are still many 20+ year old putters being played quite well by advanced amateurs and tour pros.

🔥 Latest posts