• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Jimmy Walker: 'The Sun Will Kill You'

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
THE FEDEX CUP PLAYOFFS, WHICH BEGAN on Thursday with The Barclays in Paramus, New Jersey, are critical for PGA Tour players looking to solidify their playing status, collect sizable checks, or be considered for one of Tom Watson's captain's picks for the U.S. Ryder Cup team. But as Jimmy Walker knows, their importance can be suddenly diminished with a recurrence of skin cancer.

Walker, 35, is ranked second in the standings behind Rory McIlroy. He recently spent time at home recovering from minor surgery rather than getting ready for the playoffs.

The New York Times' Zach Schonbrun wrote about Walker's other on-course challenge:
Walker has a new mission, though. It is about protection and awareness, and for a fair-skinned Oklahoman with a family history of skin cancer, those elements are essential.
“I watched what Aron Price went through, and he had melanoma, and that was bad, really, really, scary bad,” Walker said after his even-par round. “He had that removed and he’s doing great, but we’ve all got to be diligent about what we wear. The sun will kill you.”
Price, an Australian golfer, developed the disease in different spots on his shoulder in 2011. Likewise, Walker said, he had a spot on his lip removed in 2004. That served as a reality check, and he said he thought he had been conscientious about wearing skin protection since then.
Apparently it was not enough. During the Bridgestone Invitational this month, a biopsy on a nodule just below his left eye returned positive for basal cell carcinoma, requiring minor surgery Aug. 11.​
Walker said it's a genetics thing.

His sunscreen mantra? Reapply, reapply, reapply.

Source: Jimmy Walker: 'The Sun Will Kill You'

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I'm sure I did extensive damage to my skin last week. I blistered, it was bad. My mom had skin cancer, so I really need to watch myself. Cancer is scary sh!t.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
The sun's not an issue to golfers.

april_player_299x449_0.jpg

of course it's possible to over do it.

tanlady.jpg

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Hats and sun screen are a must in any golf bag or cart these days. Cancer is scary so we gotta do our best to be proactive! I have burnt my ears really bad a few times, I now make an extra effort to avoid doing it again!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.