• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Job Burnout

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
Not a great time to be burning out on a job....but I am going crazy. I have engulfed myself in working out and my golf game. But I have no idea what to do. I know some of you guys have got to have spent a number of years in a job.......what did you do?? I am in the middle of year 10.....and if I knew I could get a job....I would quit right this minute. My golf game has improved from the extra time....but my concentration on my job sure has suffered.

Jason

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
The best time to look for a new job, is while you already have one.

No shame in looking for something new. I'd rather be happy, than wealthy.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I'd rather be happy, than wealthy.

I'd rather be both! I'm afraid that soon might be time for me as well. Not because I hate my job, but because the economy and regulatory red tape are getting really bad. I could do almost any kind of work, but I have experience in building, and so I get paid well. I'm afraid of the pay cut a new career would bring, and the time restrictions.

That said, if you are on the edge of burnout, start looking now like Clark said. Maybe you can find something before you go postal.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Be careful that it's not the case that you simply need a holiday rather than a new job.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Is there one or two things about your job contributory to your burnout? Are those items that can be mitigated? Is there someone in upper management that appreciates a 10-year employee and will listen to what you have to say? Is there the ability to get a lateral move that would keep a good employee but allow you to "see some different scenery"?

Maybe we need to change places. I'm almost 64 years old. I love my job. If the Good Lord keeps me healthy, I want to work until I'm 70. I work for a firm that employees well over 300 people in 10 offices in 8 states. Yet, there is not one single other position within the company that I would accept... or be happy with. So, maybe it's just finding your niche within the company for which you now work.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
We all get burned out a touch at times, for myself it's been go-go-go at work for the last 6+ months with solid overtime & I too am feeling burnt out. But I think my vacation in 3 days will really help with it.
be happy you have a job as in this economy depending on where you live & what skill sets you have, it could be much much worse.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I am right there as well - I have been on the edge of "burnout" before. It's a cyclical thing in the technology industry as you move around from business to business and project to project. A good friend of mine walked away from a very high paying job to go work for his Dad. I just couldn't do it, I think I'd rather go insane than take that kind of risk lol

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I just gave my notice yesterday. It felt great! I found a job selling advertising and while I am nervous about the change I had to get out of the place I was working. It slowly went from sales with some collections (calling people who are behind on their account) to basically a full time collections job. I had had it but the last straw was when 2 different people told me they were going to kill themselves if our company didn't stop calling! That was it....

Anyway, from what I have seen things are starting to look a bit better. It's either that or we have gotten so used to the bad that it has started to feel good, LOL! No seriously, looking for a job when you have one is the way to go. You are less apt to be desperate and take the first thing that is offered to you. Good luck!

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I just gave my notice yesterday. It felt great! I found a job selling advertising and while I am nervous about the change I had to get out of the place I was working. It slowly went from sales with some collections (calling people who are behind on their account) to basically a full time collections job. I had had it but the last straw was when 2 different people told me they were going to kill themselves if our company didn't stop calling! That was it....

Anyway, from what I have seen things are starting to look a bit better. It's either that or we have gotten so used to the bad that it has started to feel good, LOL! No seriously, looking for a job when you have one is the way to go. You are less apt to be desperate and take the first thing that is offered to you. Good luck!

Ack! Smart move Jim!

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Be careful what you ask for.

Nothing at all wrong with looking for a new job while you have one. I can tell you first hand that getting laid off will make you appreciate a crappy job that you don't like! I always just tell myself that things could be a LOT worse! :)

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Ack! Smart move Jim!

Tell me about it! I never had a problem trying to help people out when they needed it-laid off, sick etc. But in the last 8 months it has been brutal with all the unemp, people just don't have the money to keep a roof over their heads, food on the table and pay ALL the bills. It starts to wear on you and was making me depressed. I am so glad to be getting out!

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
Be careful that it's not the case that you simply need a holiday rather than a new job.

Exactly what I was going to say. I'm in my 24th year with my company...and I feel the OP's pain at times. A nice 2 week vacation will do wonders.

🔥 Latest posts