• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

JOhn Daly not playing by rules

Is this ok with you?

• No, its a form of cheating,

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Yes, totally ok with this

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • Couldn't care one way or another

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Or the spirit of the rules at least. The new V groove rule applies to clubs made after 1990, now most of a certain age know Ping made some Ping Eye ++ for about a year (now quite valuable) with square grooves in the eighties when they fell out with the PGA. John Daly ran to his garage, got one, and old wedge and played with it this week. Thoughts?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I voted that I'm ok with it. My main reason for this is that apparently Callaway had submitted a wedge or set of irons to be approved by the USGA. They met the technical specs to be within the rules and were still shot down. Now how is a MFG supposed to make clubs and sell them like that? They follow all the rules and are still sent packing. I have never been much for the whole "spirit of the rule" deal either. If you want a person to follow the "spirit of the rule" than make that the rule.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I voted that I'm ok with it. My main reason for this is that apparently Callaway had submitted a wedge or set of irons to be approved by the USGA. They met the technical specs to be within the rules and were still shot down. Now how is a MFG supposed to make clubs and sell them like that? They follow all the rules and are still sent packing. I have never been much for the whole "spirit of the rule" deal either. If you want a person to follow the "spirit of the rule" than make that the rule.

Agreed, I also think the entire groove rule thing is a damn joke. Not entirely sure what the PGA is trying to accomplish but i'm betting we the viewer won't notice a single difference in the scores or sundays leader boards.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I've seen a few dissenters on other golf forums complaining about John Daly. Daly complied with USGA rules that permitted the particular wedges. If you play by the rules, you’re not a cheat. Simple as that.

The USGA chose to settle litigation with Ping all of those years ago. A party usually settles litigation because it is not confident it will win. If anyone has an issue about the Ping Eye 2 wedge situation, it is with the USGA, not a particular player.

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008
I've seen a few dissenters on other golf forums complaining about John Daly. Daly complied with USGA rules that permitted the particular wedges. If you play by the rules, you’re not a cheat. Simple as that.

The USGA chose to settle litigation with Ping all of those years ago. A party usually settles litigation because it is not confident it will win. If anyone has an issue about the Ping Eye 2 wedge situation, it is with the USGA, not a particular player.

couldnt agree more - he didnt get dq'd and the usga has ruled on this. nuff said.

if you want to have them put in a local rule banning those specific wedges - fine, then i have no problem with that without doing so this is a non-issue

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Agreed, I also think the entire groove rule thing is a damn joke. Not entirely sure what the PGA is trying to accomplish but i'm betting we the viewer won't notice a single difference in the scores or sundays leader boards.

I agree about the groove rule. It's funny the USGA makes a rule about the grooves when every Pro, retired or active, says they should have regulated the ball. How's that for listening.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
This whole groove question is being circumvented by redesigning the wedge. They've added more and smaller grooves, end up with same groove volume and the pro's get about the same performance as before. The new wedges must be very clean and get replaced more ofter because they'll wear faster. Not a problem, the caddy is always right there to wipe the wedge to clean the grooves, and the pros stop by the tour trailer each week to pick up new wedges.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I saw Rory McElroy get flyer from the rough in the Abu Dhabi Championship. It sailed past the hole & into rough about 40 metres beyond. At the time he was contending with Poulter & Kaymer. I really don't understand why the notion of pros getting unpredictable flyers is good for the game. It's not about rewarding good play. No pro golfer can guarantee every ball will land on the fairway. On the contrary, increasing the prospect of flyers is clearly bad for the game IMO. Nobody watches pro golf hoping to see mishits. Nobody leaves other sports with fond memories of negative moments eg. a tennis player double faulting, a footballer dropping the ball, or a pitcher throwing a wild pitch. Why is increasing the likelihood of golfers flying the greens good for the game?

And for the benefit of the idiots who created this change I'd like to reiterate a couple of points for them (1) No golfer intentionally hits into the rough, (2) No golfer can change his/her game to remove any prospect of hitting into the rough.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
He wasn't the only one using the PING wedges. I'm OK with it.

What do you think about this quote?

"Grooves don't cause spin on regular clubs either... Grooves remove grass, water or other debris so that the face and ball can make clean contact."

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
He wasn't the only one using the PING wedges. I'm OK with it.

What do you think about this quote?

"Grooves don't cause spin on regular clubs either... Grooves remove grass, water or other debris so that the face and ball can make clean contact."

I think that's a complete Bullshit statement.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Has anybody seen the scores on the leaderboards the past three weeks? The grooves don't affect the pros much at all. The people hurt by the groove rule are the manufacturers and low handicap ametures who try to use the new wedges. It was a dumb ruling that should be abandoned. If they want to bring the pros back to reality force them to play 350cc drivers.

PS. I really miss watching wedges spin back when I watch a tournament on tv. I don't know, there is something mystical about watching a ball fly over the pin then spin back. Watching these same approaches roll out is boring.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
I think that's a complete Bullshit statement.

I agree, here's another quote from the same person:

"I recently did a spin demo with them in an About Golf simulator for a Winter Men's Association meeting for a local golf club.
The members were amazed that the grooveless wedge had the same spin rate as the grooved wedges in the simulator..."

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
Didn't Maltby play for a year or 2 at scratch with groove less clubs?

🔥 Latest posts