• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Just hit it!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I played a few more holes with my 9-year-old last night, along with my 15-year-old hot-shot. The younger just got his membership, so I'm trying to get him out for a few holes here and there, just to get him into the swing of things, so to speak.

Well, the wee man is starting to enjoy it. He has a nice little ultra-simple swing. I just need to make sure he is aiming it in the right direction, but everything else is his. He only hits it about 75-100 yards with his best hit.

We played our 14th yesterday, a straight-away 350-yard par 4. He managed to string 4 good shots together with the last one running up onto the green about 10 feet from the hole. We joked about the pressure of him trying to hole it but he DID!! A five! We celebrated, with high fives and whoops and he rather enjoyed that. And my older boy and I just kind of looked at eachother in a WTF moment. It was SO cool.

I know guys that get so paralyzed by their swing thoughts (including me sometimes). Just hit it!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Paralysis through over-analysis has ruined many a scorecard in this Game. So often, the younger set can block out the over-analysis issue and "just hit it". Wish I was able to do that!!!!

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
For sure, Larry. There are so many things I want to say to him about his grip, his alignment etc. but, for now, I am remaining quiet. Just let him blast it and have fun.

I was messing with my older boy, told him to move over, a young gun was coming up fast on the inside lane to steal his place as the golfer in the family.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
For sure, Larry. There are so many things I want to say to him about his grip, his alignment etc. but, for now, I am remaining quiet. Just let him blast it and have fun.

I was messing with my older boy, told him to move over, a young gun was coming up fast on the inside lane to steal his place as the golfer in the family.
I am firm believer we get entirely too wrapped up in wanting our swings to be picturesque. We worry about someone's posture, grip, takeaway, arc, hips, etc., etc., etc. Certainly, there are fundamentals one needs to hone to simply make contact with the ball. Every body is different. Every person's ability to play golf well depends on the makeup of their own body... not the body of a PGA pro on television.
If we all were to have the swing of an Ernie Els or a Fred Couples then we never would have seen a Jim Furyk, Raymond Floyd, Lee Trevino, Arnold Palmer, and many others... others who have mantles full of trophies proving their unique swings worked for them.

🔥 Latest posts