• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Justin Thomas Cruises to 72-Hole Scoring Record

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
JUSTIN THOMAS OWNED THE HAWAII SWING on the PGA Tour. (I guess they call it the Aloha Slam.) Granted, it's just two events, but Thomas's back-to-back victories at the SBS Tournament of Champions and the Sony Open in Hawaii could not have been more impressive. He shot 49-under par in eight rounds.

Thomas's encore performance at the Sony Open included setting a new PGA Tour scoring record for 72 holes, a total of 253 (27-under par). The red-hot 23-year-old from Kentucky opened with a 59 and followed it up with 64, 65 and 65. He won by seven shots over runner-up Justin Rose. Jordan Spieth finished third.

The way Thomas was playing, the tournament appeared to be over before it was over, as he built a huge lead and set and tied 36- and 54-hole tour scoring records.

But you still have to finish it.

"I was more nervous teeing off today then I was in the other [wins]," Thomas admitted, "I had to turn off Twitter, I couldn't look anymore. It was just like, no one has ever lost a seven-shot lead, no one has ever lost a seven-shot lead. I'm like, I go out and play OK, a bad break here and there, if someone shoots 9 under, I lose."

Thomas now has four PGA Tour wins and jumped another four spots in the world ranking, from No. 12 to No. 8. As Spieth said about his pal last week, the floodgates are open.

Source: Justin Thomas Cruises to 72-Hole Scoring Record

🔥 Latest posts