• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lead Golf Analyst Johnny Miller to Retire from NBC Broadcast Booth in Early 2019

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
Johnny Miller's NBC debut at the 1990 Bob Hope Classic. pic.twitter.com/kmZVxJXyBb
— Nick Zaccardi (@nzaccardi) October 16, 2018

LEAD GOLF ANALYST JOHNNY MILLER WILL RETIRE from NBC Sports in January 2019. Miller's last event will be the Waste Management Phoenix Open.

In a statement to Golf Channel, Miller said:

"The call for being there for my grandkids, to teach them how to fish. I felt it was a higher calling. The parents are trying to make a living, and the grandparents can be there like my father was with my four boys. He was there every day for them. I'm a big believer there is a time and a season for everything."

Miller has spent 29 years in the NBC booth after a Hall of Fame career that produced 23 wins on the PGA Tour, including two majors, the 1973 U.S. Open and 1976 Open Championship.

In December 2012 I enjoyed a long dinner with Miller at a Lexus event at Pebble Beach. Following are my notes on a small piece of that conversation:

I asked Johnny if he ever foresaw himself doing TV work. No, he said. He's signed on for three more years with NBC. After that it sounds like he'll be gone, except for an occasional event. He wondered aloud who might take his place. I said, "You must enjoy it." He's still in the tower after 20-plus years. Johnny said he feels like he has something to offer and brings something different to the game. My wife told him how she appreciates his candor. He told me a story about his mom's blackberry pie. He always wondered why it was the best. His mom finally shared the secret: mostly ripe, sweet berries, plus a few select tart ones. An approach that can also work well for golf commentary.
Reports say Paul Azinger will replace Miller.

Source: Lead Golf Analyst Johnny Miller to Retire from NBC Broadcast Booth in Early 2019

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Miller has copped a lot of criticism over the years.

For some reason he has never affected me. Just another talking head.

🔥 Latest posts