• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Length of backswing

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
I got my ass kicked by a 60 something guy who swings like that. He understands that the end of the backswing is the 3/4 position. It doesnt look like he swings back at all. We were playing from the tips and he was smoking a R1. His irons were stupid straight. 6 birds. That shit got in my head and the minute I tried to swing his swing it was over for me. I tied for t3. No skins. Didnt even get all my entry money back.

PatM

Jul 8, 2013
Cape Cod
Country
Shortening the backswing is a big deal for me as well. I swing way too much and go off plane, lift my head in the process... makes for a nasty result. I know what I'm doing wrong, will try that two feet together drill later today, just to get some muscle memory going.

Are there other effective drills for this?

MarkFed

Jun 17, 2013
New England
Country
To fix this problem, I would agree with EB. I'd look at the lower body in the backswing. The left knee should point at or just in back of the ball at the top of the back swing. If the lower body turns any more than that, you'll most likely take the club back too far. By restricting the lower body on the backswing, you also restrict the upper body from turning too far.
Hitting balls with both feet together also will also restrict the backswing and is an effective drill as long as you understand that what it's doing is preventing you from turning your lower body.
When I was teaching, I would use the "hitting balls with your feet together" drill for students that had trouble with balance.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Word. Keeping that rear knee where it's supposed to be keeps a lot of other things where they're supposed to be. That was one of my lightbulbs at one point in my swing development.

For me, and this is just for me because it completely depends on your body and peripheral vision, I hit my best drives when I just barely see a blip of the driver head in my peripheral vision at the very top of my backswing. I don't focus on it, but that's what i've noticed.

Irons I pretty much try to stick to what feels like a 3/4 swing. It's more than that in reality, but it works for me.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
To fix this problem, I would agree with EB. I'd look at the lower body in the backswing. The left knee should point at or just in back of the ball at the top of the back swing. If the lower body turns any more than that, you'll most likely take the club back too far. By restricting the lower body on the backswing, you also restrict the upper body from turning too far.

Can you tell me if this is my problem? I haven't really worked on changing my lower body movement to shorten my backswing. The thing that I notice the most is my left elbow breaks down at the top of my swing. Take a look and see what you think. I would really appreciate any advice.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
back swing may be a bit long

That's what I'm working on. Reason being, my consistency is sh!t. I was thinking it was because of my elbow breaking down at the top but now I'm wondering if I need to quiet my lower body a little.

The problem that I run into when I try to shorten my swing is my rhythm gets out of whack. It's frustrating because I feel that such a minor adjustment shouldn't be this difficult to change. Fact is, swing changes are a bitch to incorporate.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
That's what I'm working on. Reason being, my consistency is sh!t. I was thinking it was because of my elbow breaking down at the top but now I'm wondering if I need to quiet my lower body a little.

The problem that I run into when I try to shorten my swing is my rhythm gets out of whack. It's frustrating because I feel that such a minor adjustment shouldn't be this difficult to change. Fact is, swing changes are a bitch to incorporate.
No truer words have ever been spoken!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006

I've been trying to get more lower body action. I tend to start from the top by throwing the club head at the ball-bad things happen. I have tried so hard to start with my lower body. And yes they are a bitch!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I've been trying to get more lower body action. I tend to start from the top by throwing the club head at the ball-bad things happen. I have tried so hard to start with my lower body. And yes they are a bitch!

My "trigger" at the top of my swing is my hips. My hips start to open before I start my downswing. To me, it feels like I'm opening my hips before I even finish my backswing creating a lot of resistance in my midsection. If I don't do this(like when I'm under pressure), it results in the ugliest hook you have ever seen, lol.

So, maybe try that. Try starting your downswing by opening your hips. I'm confident you will generate more power doing this. Again, it's tough to make changes but it's an idea.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
My "trigger" at the top of my swing is my hips. My hips start to open before I start my downswing. To me, it feels like I'm opening my hips before I even finish my backswing creating a lot of resistance in my midsection. If I don't do this(like when I'm under pressure), it results in the ugliest hook you have ever seen, lol.

So, maybe try that. Try starting your downswing by opening your hips. I'm confident you will generate more power doing this. Again, it's tough to make changes but it's an idea.
I had it for about 2 weeks. I was hitting it longer and higher than ever before, with a draw. I lost I though, I'm better than I was but not nearly as good as that 2 weeks. I will get it back, one of the drills I use is to out a chair or something by my right side so I have to rotate on the backswing and can't sway.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I had it for about 2 weeks. I was hitting it longer and higher than ever before, with a draw. I lost I though, I'm better than I was but not nearly as good as that 2 weeks. I will get it back, one of the drills I use is to out a chair or something by my right side so I have to rotate on the backswing and can't sway.

Yeah, you said you were hitting the draw not long ago and that's awesome and it's nice to be able to play that shot if you have to...but a draw is not all it's cracked up to be. I wish I could hit a nice consistent fade. I feel like a fade will find more fairways almost any day of the week. But that's cool that you know that you can hit that shot now.

Members online