• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

LET'S GO RIDERS!!!

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Dont bunch all Manitobans together. Our grey cup parties always involved channel flipping to the NFL games, most years the NFL game won out.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Dont bunch all Manitobans together. Our grey cup parties always involved channel flipping to the NFL games, most years the NFL game won out.

That's because the Bombers weren't involved.

During a Rider game, turning to the NFL is blasphamy.

Nice work by the Bombers selling out the East Semi Final. Oh wait, they were 5,000 people short....hmmm...

R35

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I think the peggers were busy planning the next "save the jets" rally.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Nov23 Globe&Mail
TORONTO — Even in the CFL's rocky times, there has always been a sense that three-down football and the Grey Cup matter to Canadians. Now we have proof.

On the eve of the 95th contesting of the oldest professional championship in Canada, Canadian sports fans have spoken loudly and clearly and have done so in the form of a wide-ranging survey, a comprehensive analysis of Canadian fans' views of professional football. The survey results show that Canadians have a strong and deep identification with the CFL, which they do not want to part with, even though many of them would welcome an NFL franchise to Toronto.

An overwhelming 80 per cent of those surveyed think it's important for the CFL to survive, while a strong majority believe the league provides a great alternative to the NFL and has a bright future. Just 9 per cent of those surveyed say they would not care if the CFL shut down.

"It shows there is tremendous pride about the CFL, a tremendous attachment to the culture institution that the CFL represents," said Tim Woolstencroft, the managing partner of the Strategic Counsel. "Even Quebeckers have a strong sense of association with the CFL. In fact, it's one of the very few institutions on which English-Canadians and Quebeckers have a common view.

"So the old adage about the Grey Cup being the most unifying symbol in the country, that's still true."

The survey indicates the CFL is strongest in Western Canada, while the appeal of the NFL resonates most in Ontario and Quebec, where a majority of people say the arrival of an NFL franchise in Toronto would be positive, even though similar majorities understand it would have a negative impact on the CFL.

"It's clear that the NFL has made big inroads in Canada in the last 20 years, especially within Ontario and Quebec," Woolstencroft said. "With its marketing dollars and promotion, it has clearly penetrated this market as opposed to the West, where the CFL is dominant. [In Toronto] the CFL is facing very formidable competition from the NFL, and in Ontario and even Quebec, they want to see an NFL franchise in Toronto. But regardless, they want the CFL to exist."

Most compelling is the revelation that Canadians' attachment to the CFL as a distinct cultural institution outweighs their affinity for the CFL game itself. Canadians care deeply about the CFL, but don't necessarily consider it a more entertaining option than the NFL, with roughly one-third expressing a preference for NFL football, one-third for the CFL and one-third preferring both.

It has long been believed that what defined the CFL to most people was the distinctiveness of its rules when compared with the American four-down variety. Instead, the CFL's most compelling quality seems to be rooted in its identity and the notion that being a CFL fan or supporter is in some small way an expression of being Canadian.

Football is unique as the only sport defined so clearly as either Canadian or American by its rules and the history of two games that have evolved separately. That history, along with the CFL's rivalries and its regional representation, seems to resonate most with fans.

"An institution like the CFL is unique," said Steve Bunn, a doctorate history student at York University and devout member of argos-suck.com, a website for Hamilton Tiger-Cats fans. "There is, of course, [NHL] hockey, but the Americanization of that is well known. In regard to finding anything comparable to the CFL in Canada as a Canadian cultural and historical institution, you have to go outside sport and look at something like the Hudson's Bay Co. Like the CFL, it's something that in its best years turned a meagre profit, but the value of it isn't measured in dollars."

The notion of the CFL as an outlet for Canadian expression isn't new. No one is going to mistake three-down football for the national game or the greatest show on Earth. But even those sports to which we lay claim, which are indisputably Canadian, such as hockey or curling, are played extensively beyond our borders. Three-down football, on the other hand, is ours and ours only, which is perhaps part of what makes the Grey Cup game among the most watched television events in Canada each season and why two-thirds of those surveyed said they plan to watch the game tomorrow.

Why are Canadians drawn to the national flavour of the CFL so much more so than the game itself? Partly, the NFL and CFL today are more distinct as cultural institutions than they are for their styles of play.

Thirty years ago, most NFL teams relied primarily on running the ball. The grinding style meant less finesse and more smash-mouth, three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust football. Some teams still play that way, but overall, the NFL has embraced the passing game. Beginning with Joe Montana's San Francisco 49ers and extending to today with such teams as the New England Patriots and Indianapolis Colts (with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning throwing the ball for their respective teams), the NFL has no shortage of teams that rely on their quarterbacks to win games through the air.

Author Michael Lewis notes in his bestselling book The Blind Side that in 1978, NFL teams threw the ball 42 per pent of the time and ran the ball 58 per cent. From then until the mid-1990s, teams began gradually to pass the ball more and more until those ratios were reversed. Not only are teams passing significantly more often, but the average gain for a pass has grown at the same time that completion percentages have soared, to nearly 60 per cent today from less than 50.

In essence, NFL teams found ways to throw the ball more often, for more yards and with a higher success rate, turning the passing game from a secondary option to the primary offensive weapon in the league.

For example, this season, 10 NFL quarterbacks are on pace to throw for more than 4,000 yards in a 16-game schedule. This past regular season north of the border, the Calgary Stampeders' Henry Burris led all CFL quarterbacks with 34 touchdown passes. Just slightly past the midway point of the NFL schedule, New England's Brady already has 38, while the Dallas Cowboys' Tony Romo has 29. During the 2006 season, NFL games featured more offensive touchdowns a game than in the CFL.

With the NFL more focused on passing, and with more black quarterbacks who in the past had to ply their trade in Canada, the CFL can no longer claim to be more exciting by virtue of more passing and scoring.

Perhaps that's why the survey results show Canadians rating the NFL as a higher overall quality experience, with more than three times as many respondents saying that great quarterbacking applies more to the NFL than the CFL.

"Even Canadians recognize the NFL has a better cadre of quarterbacks, and my reaction is that 25 years ago, that was not the case," Woolstencroft said. "They would have said the CFL has great quarterbacks, too."

But while the game styles in the two leagues might be more similar than ever, culturally, the leagues have never been more distinct.

The CFL remains today a league in which profits are hard to come by, where players are paid modest wages in by comparison with other professional athletes and where fans can actually get close to players. That unique culture is on display every year during Grey Cup week, when players can be seen mingling among fans in a way they do not in other sports.

The NFL, conversely, is a multibillion-dollar business with individual team payrolls in excess of $100-million, where players are mostly out of reach or contact with the fans.

The atmosphere at the respective championship games says everything about the culture of the two leagues. While the Grey Cup is full of affordable entertainment and is populated by common fans, Super Bowl week is aimed squarely at America's corporate elite, with no real accommodation for the public.

That more humble culture has always endeared the CFL to its fans. It is no doubt part of the reason why a majority of respondents agree the CFL gives back more to its communities in comparison with the NFL.

Against this backdrop, the CFL is preparing to deal with perhaps the biggest challenge in its history in the potential arrival of an NFL franchise in Toronto. Yesterday, Mark Cohon became the first CFL commissioner to acknowledge the threat when, during his annual state-of-the-league address, he said the CFL could no longer comfort itself by denying the possibility is real.

"All of the tea leaves are indicating that it's shifting," Cohon said. "You have guys like Ted Rogers and Larry Tanenbaum and Phil Lind, very powerful Canadians who are interested, you have an owner in Ralph Wilson in Buffalo who has said, 'When I die, my estate will sell the franchise,' you have the Bills interested in marking Toronto as part of their territory, which I believe is an indication that, 'Hey, this is our territory, we don't want another NFL team coming here.'

"So I think there's all these things lining up as an indication that it could happen," Cohon added. "So I'm not sticking my head in the sand, that would be the worst thing for the CFL commissioner to do. So I think there's a real potential."

Cohon's acknowledgement is enough to send shivers down the spines of the country's most fervent CFL loyalists, many of whom are in Toronto this week painted and decked out to celebrate their league. To them, the potential arrival of the NFL is nothing short of McCulture, another Wal-Mart about to cross the border that might obliterate something that is homegrown and real.

Canada has always been a country divided between those who want to hone and nourish what we already have and those who seek to be part of something bigger and grander beyond our borders. It's a battle that's played out many times in our history, one where passions tend to run high.

VT, this pretty much hits the nail on the head.

R35

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I think the peggers were busy planning the next "save the jets" rally.

One shot. They blew it. Move on to better things.

When I hear of NFL going to Toronto, all I think of is all the cities that would appreciate that CFL franchise more. Halifax, London, etc...

R35

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
It would be a bust in London. I lived 45 minutes from there for the last 10 years and they could care less. Halifax, Dartmouth, etc, sure, but Southern, Ontario would be a flop.

PS - The jets will return, I would bet on that.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Nov23 Globe&Mail
TORONTO — An overwhelming 80 per cent of those surveyed ...

The survey indicates the CFL is strongest in Western Canada, while the appeal of the NFL resonates most in Ontario and Quebec...

Thirty years ago, most NFL teams relied primarily on running the ball. The grinding style meant less finesse and more smash-mouth, three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust football. Some teams still play that way, but overall, the NFL has embraced the passing game. Beginning with Joe Montana's San Francisco 49ers and extending to today with such teams as the New England Patriots and Indianapolis Colts (with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning throwing the ball for their respective teams), the NFL has no shortage of teams that rely on their quarterbacks to win games through the air.

With the NFL more focused on passing, and with more black quarterbacks who in the past had to ply their trade in Canada, the CFL can no longer claim to be more exciting by virtue of more passing and scoring.

This guy is obviously a patriot... and an idiot.

Firstly, what's up with Atlantic Canada... they don't get to be part of the survey?

Secondly, Brady when he was winning all of those Super Bowls and Peyton this year are doing it with defense and a solid running attack. Apparently this dude has never heard of Joseph Addai?

Third, what is with the black quarterback reference? It makes no sense to the arguement? Didn't Limbaugh already try this angle on ESPN ;)

I understand where you are coming from, especially since I am Canadian and grew up a sports fanatic. I guess my point is the dude who wrote the article prob graduated from Carleton last week :D

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
This guy is obviously a patriot... and an idiot.

Firstly, what's up with Atlantic Canada... they don't get to be part of the survey?

Secondly, Brady when he was winning all of those Super Bowls and Peyton this year are doing it with defense and a solid running attack. Apparently this dude has never heard of Joseph Addai?

Third, what is with the black quarterback reference? It makes no sense to the arguement? Didn't Limbaugh already try this angle on ESPN ;)

I understand where you are coming from, especially since I am Canadian and grew up a sports fanatic. I guess my point is the dude who wrote the article prob graduated from Carleton last week :D

Atlantic Canada doesn't have a team.

The Colts would be dead without Manning. Period.

The reference to the black quarterbacks leans back to when Warren Moon wasn't going to be given a shot in the NFL, so he came to Canada and kicked ass. Then, only after proving himself worthy of standing next to a blue eyed, 6 foot 5, 215lb Nebraska QB, could he then play in the NFL. The Canadian League has always been more open to black athletes in "traditionally white" positions.

But, I'm with you. It's somewhat biased, but what isn't. The numbers were gathered by an independent study group, not the author, which is pretty much the point of the article. The fact that he wrote the article from his mom's basement still doesn't detract from the information gathered.

But then again, I doubt this, like many "surveys", is an accurate reflection of the countries feelings. It just depends who you hit on a specific day.

I mean, how did the conservative party win out in a provincial election in the province I live in, when they can't buy a seat Federally, and people vote Liberal in the Federal election? Numbers are a funny thing...:laugh:

1 hour to kickoff. I need a beer.

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I mean, how did the conservative party win out in a provincial election in the province I live in, when they can't buy a seat Federally, and people vote Liberal in the Federal election? Numbers are a funny thing...:laugh:

R35

Weird isn't it.

Same thing in NS (Prov = PC and Fed = Lib)

Also here in VT. Republican governor but always votes Dem in the general election

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I am dso piseed right now. ''

What aim I doing on the internet!?

Go RiDERS!!!!

R35

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
BC fans I find are more towards the CFL than NFL, but then again, thats because we actually have a good team;). SK just lucked out and stole Joseph from OTT and is the only reason they beat BC, that, and the fact that Im pretty sure they were still sleeping during the first quarter and couldnt catch up...

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Congrats Rock, at least now Saskatchawan has something positive going for it hehe

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Congrats Rock, at least now Saskatchawan has something positive going for it hehe

They also never have to worry about losing their dogs, as if they try and run away, they can be watched from the front porch for days:laugh:.

(i wonder how many non-canadians will get this joke?).

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Yep, hung over.

Up yours Piper. :D

R35

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Watching that game last night I still have to wonder why the Winnipeg QB threw that last pass. He had 10 yards in front of him that was so clear I could have scampered for 8. Especially when all he needed for the first down was 3 stinking feet.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.