• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Let's see them handicaps

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Post up your past and current handicaps. How close or far from each other are we? I'll go first.

Attachments

• 1532094968184.jpg
    1532094968184.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 1532094975363.jpg
    1532094975363.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 164

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Club: Stagg Hill Golf Club Club #: 22-122-01 Scores Posted: 82
GHIN #: 2140737 USGA HCP Index: 7.4
Effective Date: 07/15/2018

This is a laugh! I've posted 82 rounds since our handicap season began March 1. 95% of those scores were from the "senior"... Gold... tees. Our course has 4 tees rated by the Kansas Golf Association... Blue, White, Gold, and Red. The ratings are supposed to take into account the difference in length and difficulty.
I simply cannot hit the ball long enough anymore to play to a 7.4 from the blues or whites! Just ain't gonna happen. That would see me scoring in the 78 to 82 range consistently from those tees. My last rounds from the whites have been in the 85 to 86 range... and it's extremely difficult work to do that. They need an "age adjusting algorithm" to accommodate us old cusses! Still, I've won far more quarters than lost this year. So, it's been a successful season so far.

Uncle Azzhole

Jack of all trades, azzhole in all of them...
Apr 30, 2018
Salem Oregon
Country
I dont understand the handycap system, It used to be average your rounds together and then divide by number of rounds. Ive only played 6 rounds now and it has my handycap at 9.5 o_O

P0m8cPo

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I dont understand the handycap system, It used to be average your rounds together and then divide by number of rounds. Ive only played 6 rounds now and it has my handycap at 9.5 o_O

P0m8cPo
If you look at the one I posted, it's from the official USGA site. The asterisks denote which 10 scores it uses to calculate a handicap, which happen to be the lowest 10 score in my index. Then it averages those out.

So it's not just the average of all your scores, it's pretty much the average of your ten best scores. It also factors in the course ratings/slopes.

Think of a handicap as what you should shoot on one of your best days.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
If you look at the one I posted, it's from the official USGA site. The asterisks denote which 10 scores it uses to calculate a handicap, which happen to be the lowest 10 score in my index. Then it averages those out.

So it's not just the average of all your scores, it's pretty much the average of your ten best scores. It also factors in the course ratings/slopes.

Think of a handicap as what you should shoot on one of your best days.
Yep - a handicap is an index/indication of your ABILITY, not your average score. It only uses your 10 BEST scores out of your most recent 20 scores. Course difficulty plays in big as well. I shot 76 today which was 4 over par, but the tees I played are rated at 67 so I was really 9 over par.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.