• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Let's talk mortgages (refi content)...

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
1) Do any of you have a mortgage through a credit union? We want to refi and my wife thinks we'll get the best rate through one. While I'm finding that to be not necessarily true, I like the thought of having a local lender as opposed to some huge bank full of dicks.

2) For those of you that do have a mtg through a credit union, was it easy to do? Seems like everyone would do it if that were the case.

I've done several car loans through my credit union and love them for that kind of stuff. Unfortunately they're in Kansas (through my company) and don't do mortgages so I'd have to join a local one.

Thoughts?

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
It doesn't matter who you get your mortgage through. They will sell it right away to a large lender.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I don't do credit unions.

Never been something I figured I needed...maybe I should look into it?
I don't know about their checking/savings plans, but for loans, definitely. I've gotten car loans for 2.9% and personal (no collateral) loans for 12%.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I used Navy Federal. 2.25% 15 year fixed. Easy to work with.

They do sell the loan but they service it, so there is nothing that you notice. They have all my business.

FVCK banks. There is a reason Jesus threw them out of the Temple. Credit Union FTMFW.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Someone suggested the Rocket Mortgage thing. Super easy, super fast, closing costs: $11,000. :eek:

Went through Bankrate, found a loan similar to the credit union's, closing costs: $900.

Will check the credit union, but if they're gonna sell it (maybe) what's the point?

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I like the great rate and customer service. Yeah they sold the loan, but they still service it.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Get a quote from your credit union and a mortgage company (not a bank). Google OVM, for example. MC will beat the CU, which saves you money.

It's irrelevant if they sell your mortgage.

This is what I did, what I had my parents do, and what I tell my real estate clients. No one has ever been unhappy with this advice.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Get a quote from your credit union and a mortgage company (not a bank). Google OVM, for example. MC will beat the CU, which saves you money.

It's irrelevant if they sell your mortgage.

This is what I did, what I had my parents do, and what I tell my real estate clients. No one has ever been unhappy with this advice.
Only results I got for OVM-
Oracle Virtual Machines
Open Verification Methodology
One Voice Ministry
and something that gives your skin more volume...

Did you miss type something?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I would run with a CU, if they didn't employ the biggest group of idiots this side of MCDavis.

I have never worked with a bigger bunch of morons as I did when closing my father's estate after his passing in 2009. Absolutely simple, straight forward work. They don't use computers, everything is still done on paper. Not shocking that I had to do paperwork twice when dealing with them. And it's not a "come in and sign", it's a "come in and sign, then wait for us to mail out your forms, then come back in and sign again."

I am shocked many of them aren't eating their own arms they are so stupid.

I wouldn't bank with a CU (well, this one, anyways) if the loan rate was 0%. Not worth the hassle.

R35

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
biggest group of idiots this side of MCDavis.
lol.gif

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.