• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lightest irons and shafts combo

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
i'm looking to go as light as possible with my irons. now i'm thinking most graphite shafts are pretty close in weight, so what irons are known for their lack of mass? i use Ping i5's right now and they are on the heavy side, so reshafting them to graphite is not really worth it.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
If you want to stay with steel, Nippon came out with an NS750 last year. 75g steel iron shafts. One of the forum sponsors victorycustomgolf will have them.

jiffypop

Mar 5, 2009
Personally, going through the expense of swapping out the shafts to lighten the club will most likely not result in much of a noticeable difference. Those Ping i5's are sweet and the stock JZ shafts are excellent having been a stock component for 25+ years. I would go with what you got but if you really wanted to switch up, I would trade in the whole set and go with G10's with the TCH graphite shafts.

Have fun.<O:p</O:p

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Hey NVM, good to see you back buddy.

Why the change to an extra light club? I was reading the other day that too light can encourage an arm swing rather than shoulder turn.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
Well the tommy armour evo's were extremely light heads, but they will be a lot less forgiving than the pings you currently have.

OP
N.V.M.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
i was hitting a few balls with a TM Burner driver the other day, man, that's a light club. its got me wondering if playing light irons would benefit me as well.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
NVM, demo some ladies irons with a slow, smooth swing. That will give you a feel for "light" clubs. If you like the feel, keep searching for light mens clubs.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Hey NVM, good to see you back buddy.

Why the change to an extra light club? I was reading the other day that too light can encourage an arm swing rather than shoulder turn.

I could definitely see that. Even if they don't encourage an arm-only swing, they can be pushed around by the little quick-twitch stabilizers and such so they're harder to control because you can control them too much (if that makes sense.) I have a set of Nickents with graphite that I play when my back is hurting. The distance gain and feel is nice, but if I start overthinking it's easy to start overcontrolling, and then I'm all over the place (more than usual, that is.) It's weird that graphite irons shafts seem to be peddled toward older people, newbies, and women - I honestly think you need to be a better player to consistently control them.

OP
N.V.M.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
so far i agree with everything said, but i'm still going to experiment with this idea. so, are ladies clubs actually lighter, specifically the heads? i just assumed the difference was in the shaft(more flex, shorter)?

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online