• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

lob wedge sand wedge

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Do you need one: probably not. If you add the shots that both could do to your bag, will it drop your score: probably.

I don't know about you, but to hit a greenside explosion in fine sand I need bounce, something my pw doesn't have, but my sand wedge does. I can't hit it high enough if I have to flop over a bunker with my pitching wedge, but I can with my lob wedge. Can't dig out of thick, juicy rough very well with my pitching wedge either.

What loft is your pitching wedge? You could potentially make it easier to cover shorter distance by adding one, two, or even three wedges to your bag.

I like a two wedge + pitching wedge setup. 54-56 degree high bounce sand wedge, 58-60 degree low/lower bounce lob wedge.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
my pitching wedge is 45

That's not very much loft. You could be served well by a four wedge setup with 5* loft gaps. 45, 50, 55, 60. Or 45, 52, 58/59/60. Your best be might be to get a high bounce 56 right now to help you out with bunker shots. Get used to hitting that much loft, and then add a 60 later. And finally a gap wedge to fill the gap between the 56 and pw. Or make up your own combination.

hackworth

Jul 6, 2009
I treat my pitching wedge like a "10 iron". IMO you have to have at least a sand wedge with bounce for the sand and thick rough. You can always choke down on the pitching wedge for shorter shots into the green. Get a sand wedge, you'll be glad you did. 58,59, or 60 degrees.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
My Approach wedge is bent to 53* and I can play it like an 11 iron or a lower bounce sandwedge. I also have a higher bounce angle wedge around 54-55* that I use a lot and lastly, I carry a 60* wedge bent to 58* that is basically a low bounce lob wedge.

I used to carry just the 53* and 58* and I thought it was enough, but the 55* club was the one I would chip around with in the yard and it earned a spot in the bag. To make room in the bag I dumped a hybrid and added a 5 wood that I can hit different distances relatively easy.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I personally think the 60* wedge is the hardest club in the bag to master next to the putter.

Grab a 56* and get comfortable with that. Something with a decent amount of bounce (10*ish) and something that fits your eye (Ping, Cally, Cleveland, whatever. It's very personal.)

When you feel as tho you'd like to further your mastery of the wedge game (after several rounds and even years), then explore a 60* wedge.

IMO, there are few shots that can't be performed with the same effect with a 60* wedge that a 56* won't offer.

R35

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I would definately get something in the 55-56* range with a little more bounce (although also dependent on the conditions you play) than the PW. Mainly for use out of the sand and around the greens with your short game.

I would then definately overlook the 60* in favor of something in the range of 50-52* next. At 45*, your current PW is a degree stronger than my 46* 9i, or 2* stronger than many normal PW's., or a degree weaker than many normal 9i's. I would just evenly gap them based on distance (not just loft, different clubs react differently). Personally, for my own game I use my 52* far more than any other club in my bag with exception to my putter, and that is even a close call. Although if I only got one, I am not sure I could get by with 52* being my most lofted club.

Only after you have mastered those and intend to spend a bit of time practicing with the club on a weekly basis would I likely consider more than a 56*.

If it were me, and if I planned to keep a 45* PW, I would likely go 50-51* and a 55*, which could also likely be bent later. Wait at least 6 months, or until next year if you live in colder climates before even considering a 60* and know if you have the time to learn to use it properly.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I think learning how to play wedge shots is crucial to making scores. I carry 4.. pw, gw, sw, and lw. I think at some point I'm going to replace my AP2 pitching wedge with another Vokey.

ejdahl21

Never Lay Up
Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2007
I would definitely add some wedges, but don't discount getting a 60*. I almost let some talk me out of it. Now that I have it, I use it every round. I don't find it any harder to hit than my 56* or my friends 58*. There are some decent wedge sets out there to be had. And ho'ing is half the fun.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
My PW is 46º, all this time I thought it was a 48º. I carry a 52, 56, and a 60º, and I don't see any of them coming out of the bag. If they do it will just be because they were replaced with something better. Most of your scoring comes from 100 yards and in. Embrace wedges, love them, master them, and you'll shoot lower scores.

Members online