• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Long course strategy

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
If you have a wedge that you can easily give up and not really lose a lot around the greens, I say go for it.

In reality, the biggest advantage probably comes down to what bag composition will give you the most confidence walking onto the course.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Paralysis through over-analysis, but....

We geezers who have lost our distance... along with most of our minds... think all courses are long. We have some par 4's on our course that are virtually unreachable for us if we don't hit the drive of our lives. The secret is to be proficient with the wedges/short game. We have holes protected by bunkers short of the green. Many times I'll hit an iron that I know won't get to trouble but give me a nice little wedge to the pin. Trust your wedges and make a few putts and you will make pars. Put another club in the bag that is unfamiliar and swing for the fences with the others will hand you bogeys... or worse. Keep the ball in front of you. Play the clubs that got you there. Use course management to kick your competition's butt!!!!

^^^this

Uncle Azzhole

Jack of all trades, azzhole in all of them...
Apr 30, 2018
Salem Oregon
Country
When I started playing golf 10 years ago I like playing Olivas Links Golf course in Ventura Ca. We played from the black tees (tour tees) and it was 6818 yards. It was a good course but didnt seem too long. I never saw the need to change strategy from a 6000 yard to 7000 yard course, they really cant add that much to one hole that would make it unmanageable...

A year after I started playing I became disabled and I stayed in bed for almost 9 years, I am now just getting back into it... I love golf! I have missed it, I cant walk the course any more but if Im not hurting too bad I can get out and ride in a cart and have fun :)

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I wouldn't combine the words good and 6800 yards in the same sentance.......

It depends... As long as the course is hard and fast. The courses we normally play would be brutal from those tees.

Old Chuckie T

Loveable Linkster
Jul 22, 2018
Boston
Country
Those photos are beautiful.
My long course strategy is to not play anything much longer than 6000 yards.
It works out pretty well.

🔥 Latest posts