• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Which part of your golf game has more impact ?

• Long Game

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Here's the thing. The pros these days lift, stretch and get their equipment optimised to the nth degree. They are athletes and power gives them an advantage, but it goes without saying that they also need a good short game. Otherwise, Rors and DJ would win every week.

What people miss (evidenced at the driving range) is that the majority of shots you play in a round are less than 100 yards from the pin. And you don't need to be super strong to achieve to excel at this. Solid technique and lots of practice will improve your scoring.

Sure it's fun to whale a driver, but it's more fun taking the money off your big hitting playing partners with your wedge and flatstick. Right?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I should have said the majority of pros. Daly, Herron are big guys, strong as hell, with natural timing. But I once followed Daly round during the Open at Muirfield and saw first hand just how razor sharp his short game was. While everyone focused on how long he was off the tee, he hit three or four sublime chips that I will always remember.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
I should have said the majority of pros. Daly, Herron are big guys, strong as hell, with natural timing. But I once followed Daly round during the Open at Muirfield and saw first hand just how razor sharp his short game was. While everyone focused on how long he was off the tee, he hit three or four sublime chips that I will always remember.
Just messing with you IG! I remember an interview with the portly Swede, Carl Petterson who said about his workout regime: I get up, take a few deep breaths, stretch, and then go lie down until any desire to exercise goes away..................(or something like that). ;)

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I went to a short game clinic tonight and the Pro summarised the formula for winning amateur golf. He’s a devotee of Dave Pelz and recognition that Short game is key. Pelz reckons that being a better putter isn’t the key to lower scores; it’s getting the approach shot closer to the pin so that the putt is easier. Apparently Justin Rose earlier this year was #1 in Short game approaches. He was averaging 3 feet from the pin, thus making the putt easy.

The formula for us guys?
1. No need to be longest off the tee, just keep on course and out of hazards. Wild tee shots chew up strokes. Take accuracy over distance.
2. Plot your way around the course and aim to keep clear of hazards as they chew up strokes.
3. Try to get as close to the pin as possible with the approach (practice, practice, practice). Most 3 footers go in. Only 50% of four footers drop.

OP
mygolfbuddyph

mygolfbuddyph

Oct 16, 2017
Country
Philippines Philippines
I went to a short game clinic tonight and the Pro summarised the formula for winning amateur golf. He’s a devotee of Dave Pelz and recognition that Short game is key. Pelz reckons that being a better putter isn’t the key to lower scores; it’s getting the approach shot closer to the pin so that the putt is easier. Apparently Justin Rose earlier this year was #1 in Short game approaches. He was averaging 3 feet from the pin, thus making the putt easy.

The formula for us guys?
1. No need to be longest off the tee, just keep on course and out of hazards. Wild tee shots chew up strokes. Take accuracy over distance.
2. Plot your way around the course and aim to keep clear of hazards as they chew up strokes.
3. Try to get as close to the pin as possible with the approach (practice, practice, practice). Most 3 footers go in. Only 50% of four footers drop.
4footers at 50%? wow that's an eye opener.

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
To play good golf, one needs an array of skills. It's great to get up and down, and be a good putter. But hitting full shots well - driving long and straight in the fairway, and hitting greens from a distance - is the most joy I have on a golf course, when I do manage to do it.
I would much rather be on a green in regulation and 3 putt for a bogey, than 1 putt but after dropping under penalty or chipping out of the trees, or whatever.

GMMWICKED

Jan 30, 2018
Country
To play good golf, one needs an array of skills. It's great to get up and down, and be a good putter. But hitting full shots well - driving long and straight in the fairway, and hitting greens from a distance - is the most joy I have on a golf course, when I do manage to do it.
I would much rather be on a green in regulation and 3 putt for a bogey, than 1 putt but after dropping under penalty or chipping out of the trees, or whatever.

I agree with your “play good Golf statement”. To enjoy you need a complete game. As far as your “rather” statement, I think I feel similar anger in both scenarios. It’s screwing up the hole one way or another.

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
I have always maintained that putting is the most important part of the game. In a perfect round of golf (hitting 14 fairways, hitting 18 greens and making 18 pars) on a par 72 course one would have 36 putts. Recently due to age and injury my long game really suffered. I'm still pretty straight but I've lost 20 to 30 yards off the tee and my fairway metal play is very inconsistent, but I'm scoring only three or four shots higher than I was a couple of years ago.
My iron play is still as good as back in my single digit days, but I'm usually playing one more club than before for certain yardages. If my chipping and putting ever goes South I'll have to take up bowling.

ejdahl21

Never Lay Up
Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2007
I have always maintained that putting is the most important part of the game. In a perfect round of golf (hitting 14 fairways, hitting 18 greens and making 18 pars) on a par 72 course one would have 36 putts. Recently due to age and injury my long game really suffered. I'm still pretty straight but I've lost 20 to 30 yards off the tee and my fairway metal play is very inconsistent, but I'm scoring only three or four shots higher than I was a couple of years ago.
My iron play is still as good as back in my single digit days, but I'm usually playing one more club than before for certain yardages. If my chipping and putting ever goes South I'll have to take up bowling.

Hey bowling ain't all bad. At least the ball comes back to you.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Nothing wrong with that.

a198c0ea1103d4d69a5afc0906342e54.jpg

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.