• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Longest Golf Ball?

Chas

Dec 10, 2005
Sunny Southern California
Country
United States United States
People have mentioned the Exception as long. I have found the NXT Tour to give the most distance. However, I don't know everything about golf balls. Is there a super, juiced up golf ball on the market?

GoodDay

Sep 22, 2006
The Condor S ball...especially when whacked with a Hammer Driver.

Amaze your playing partners! Be the envy of your foursome! Order yours today!

:laugh:

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
HX Hot is the longest ball I've found. Nike One Black and Bridgestone B330 are also long but expensive. I've got some new Maxfli Tour Fires to try that Siberian said are great. And the good old Wilson Ultras are right up there. Cheap too. :D

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The longest ball I have ever hit is the Golden Ram 110 compression from about 10 years ago.:laugh:

The longest modern ball I have hit is the B330. Expensive, but long.

The longest cheap ball is the D2 Distance. It's big.

R35

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Pro V1 X.

Today's golfer did a golf ball test eailer this year testing spin, carry, height , hangtime, etc. they used solid balls like the Ultra right through the spectrum up to the premium balls.

They found that the longest balls were actually the Premium 3 & 4 piece balls like the Pro V, HX Tour, etc. The distance balls fell well short with only the Cally Big Bertha racking up respectable numbers. The mid range HX Hot, NXT Tours were'nt to far behind.

They did the testing with a robot set at a normal 'club golfers' swing speed (if i remember rightly)? I've thrown the issue away now otherwise I would have given you all the details.

cyberious

Planet Love Tron
Feb 19, 2005
The longest ball I have ever hit is the Golden Ram 110 compression from about 10 years ago.:laugh:
R35

I loved the Dunlop DDH 110.

Longest I've hit recently is the Pinnacle Gold Long Drive. Feels alot like a rock but it goes a long way.

Also the Hogan Tour Deep is long and good around the greens and is coming down in price locally.

Favorite is still the Pro V1x. Comes off the face like a rocket.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Pro V1 X.

Today's golfer did a golf ball test eailer this year testing spin, carry, height , hangtime, etc. they used solid balls like the Ultra right through the spectrum up to the premium balls.

They found that the longest balls were actually the Premium 3 & 4 piece balls like the Pro V, HX Tour, etc. The distance balls fell well short with only the Cally Big Bertha racking up respectable numbers. The mid range HX Hot, NXT Tours were'nt to far behind.

They did the testing with a robot set at a normal 'club golfers' swing speed (if i remember rightly)? I've thrown the issue away now otherwise I would have given you all the details.
I think they used a very good golfer but i dont completly trust the numbers they came up with simply because there was quite a considerable difference in launch angles.
The longest golf ball, if you have a high swing speed, is most likly to be a premium golf ball.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I think they used a very good golfer but i dont completly trust the numbers they came up with simply because there was quite a considerable difference in launch angles.
The longest golf ball, if you have a high swing speed, is most likly to be a premium golf ball.

I thought that was the driver test where they used a pro? For the ball test i thought they used a machine?

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Without knowing all the particulars -- swing speed, launch angle, spin rate, etc. arguing which ball is longest is sort of pointless.

Back in the day, I designed a golf swing trainer for True Temper (they were a sister company to the one I worked for). I got to spend almost a week at True Temper's R&D facility and watch "Iron Byron" pound out balls and take data for our testing.

One thing that became clear real quickly was that with the same club, clubhead speed and launch angle a particular group of balls were very close to the same distance. Change the swing parameters and the group of balls that were longest changed. Same for irons but to a lesser extent.

Golf balls are optimized for a range of clubhead speed. If you play one that matches your swing and clubhead speed, it will be the "longest ball" for you. If you play one that's mismatched (i.e. you don't generate enough clubhead speed to sufficiently compress the ball or or you generate too much and over-compress it) then you won't be getting all the distance that can be had for your particular swing.

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
Interesting discussion. Has anyone done for the golf ball what Wishon has done in explaining the golf club? I love reading the "geek stuff" and then trying it on the course.

Wildbore

Oct 24, 2005
I find many of the balls from Bridgestone/Precept being very long. Like the Precept XP3 and the Precept U-Tri Extra Distance, both very long and decently soft. Then there is the bridgestone e5, which was already mentioned.

🔥 Latest posts